Cleaning Kit?

shaun

WKR
Mine is very similar to the one in the kill kit in the store here just less a few items. IMO if you are looking at putting one together buy one in store and don't look back you will save huge! Just the havalon and pull out are 60 than meat Baggie, tag bags etc.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is very similar to the one in the kill kit in the store here just less a few items. IMO if you are looking at putting one together buy one in store and don't look back you will save huge! Just the havalon and pull out are 60 than meat Baggie, tag bags etc.

Agree 100%. I know that I have way more than $100 in my kill kit right now and there isnt much more than whats in the rokslide kit.

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
Firearm Cleaning Kit

Well... I was thinking more along the lines of cleaning firearms:D

Last edited:
OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
Is that a field kit or a total gun care kit? Do you use any type of solvent? When in the field My cleaning kit is just electric tape over the barrel and scope cover cause the way i see it, I won't have to clean it if it don't get those parts too dirty:D

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
I guess it depends on the type of hunting. I go out for a week or two at a time. My gun is subject to rain, as well as dirt, river water and just packing through the woods grime. Granted, I dont throw my gun in the river, but its not uncommon to get minor splashes from the boat or glacier silt which seems to get into everything up here.

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
So when you decide to clean the barrel/action what products are you using i.e. cleaning rod, copper solvent, oil?

Daniel_M

WKR
Curious....

How many of you have ran into an instance where cleaning a rifle on a 3-7 day hunt was imperative or you were subjective to a malfunction?

Just one more thing to pack.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't mess with cleaning our guns in the field. Just keep electrical tape over the end of the barrel, (with a small piece of extra for retaping after a shot) to keep out debris and just take care where we set them down. They usually get a pretty good cleaning when we return home though.

unm1136

WKR
Brass rod only for clearing the bore... Tape works to keep stuff out, and I have several feet wrapped around a sharpie, but when hunting with my AR I have had lower quality rims torn. This has only been a problem with my AR, and it cannot be quickly cleared without a rod. I don't bother when I use my bolt gun. Last year with my bolt gun I got rained on pretty good, and got rust on the metal of the barrel, bolt, magazine, and rings. No rust on the bore or crown. Got home, and oxpho blue took care of the cosmetic rust. My hunts tend to short enough that I just don't worry about it, and even with longer hunts I pre-clean and wipe down well, and immediately clean upon a return from my trip. Even my work guns I wait for about 500 rounds between cleanings, and like to test fire after cleaning and reassembly. I prefer dirty guns.

pat

weaver

WKR
I think hes asking what everybody is using to clean at home...not about packing in the field.

unm1136

WKR
I have assembled a cleaning kit in a tackle box. I have a pistol rod with a non rotating handle, and a chamber brush. Long rod with bore brushes, and disassembly tools. For solvents I normally have a couple gallons of home brewed Ed's Red that I use for a dip for pistol barrels, rifle bolts, and cans. For solvents, I tend to use whatever is available, avoiding "CLP" mixtures. Ed's Red works well, I use ammoniated cleaner to cut copper, when necessary. I think I am currently using Butches Bore Shine, but I am not overly picky on solvents, they all seem OK, and I get nostagic smelling Hoopes no.9. Currently for lube I am using 10w30 full synthetic, 10-8 moly based lube, and XF-7 when I need grease. I may start playing with fireclean, based on what I am hearing.

20 ga plastic bore brushes clean my AR chambers, .308 chamber brushes work on my 30-06 chamber and 1911 chamber/bore. I like Otis bronze brushes in .22, .30, 9mm and 10mm, and plastic ones for the Glocks. I don't scrape carbon off my AR bolts, I use old tooth brushes and the occasional bronze toothbrush type brush. I like to clean at the range or at work to keep the chemicals away from the kiddos, and cleaning at the range allows me to run a mag or so through the gun and make sure it is properly reassembled.

pat

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
I always figured cleaning a rifle on a hunting trip means something went wrong.
A bore snake and a very small small bottle of butch's or the like will clean out some dirt or sludge from a dunking and is what I carry. I now almost always have tape over the muzzle, particularly around horses...don't ask. I carry a way to tighten the screws and bolts on the rifle and scoperings. The whole fits in a sandwich size ziploc.

A lucas bore guide and a Dewey rod are what I use for regular cleaning. CBrass and nylon bristle brush and jags. I do have a mop for the action and lugs. Patches and butches bore shine. Butches oil and some sort of cold weather dry lube for the action. I use JB bore shine every 300 rounds or so. Small wooden box holds all but the rod. The rod, guide and brushes stay in the truck in the rifle hard case... if they leave the house.

unm1136

WKR
Also, lately i have become impressed with microfiber dust/car cloths. Our humidity here is real low, and a few years back I learned to oil my guns and let the metal keep the lube it wanted by giving it a minute and then scrubbing the "dampness" away with cottton patches. The microfiber cloths seem to collect surface oil, without removing the oils in the pores of the metal. None of my parkerized guns have suffered from this. I have not played with it on my blued guns. I also extensively use non cloronated brake cleaner or carberator cleaner followed by a quick lube job to quickly clean my guns. When I'm in a hurry the brake cleaner gets used more than any other solvent, and it does a decent job.

pat

sodak

FNG
I use my issue Otis cleaning kit that I got last time I was deployed. I took only the cables and attachments that I would need and stuffed them into the M9 Otis kit. I added in a small bottle of CLP, lens pen, and tape for the barrel. I usually keep a scope cover or sock on the rifle when I have it on my pack.

Electrical tape and the Kifaru rifle rain cover work awesome for keeping everything dry and clean. It also stops branches from scratching the scope.

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
carry a P.O.C.K kit for my optics, never carried a cleaning kit rifle hunting, or any tools for bowhunting (minus a spare release) before every hunt I put my bow in the press make sure everything is good to go and that all my screws are tight, hasnt been an issue.