Clean Brass

Wright406

WKR
I’m just like you. I enjoy impeccable brass.

SS pins with a dab of lemishine and dawn for 6-8 hours is perfect for me. Primer pockets are spotless. Just ensure you use deionized water if planning to anneal. The necks will show some discoloration if you don’t ( cosmetic only)

wyosam

WKR
I have a wet tumbler that I never use anymore. Fantastic for cleaning up nasty range brass. Mostly it makes brass TOO clean, and adds a bunch of steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mag_7s

WKR
Lizard bedding walnut media to prevent grains getting stuck in flash holes…
This stuff works very well, and is of better quality than the walnut media from rcbs/frankford. You can buy large bags off Amazon for a pretty decent price.
If you want to really shine up your brass you can add NU car finish wax in with the media. Drizzle a little in and run for a couple hours with no brass to get it mixed, and let it evaporate for a couple days.

I like my brass to be clean, not dirty or corroded. But what is the best way to accomplish this?

Currently I am using walnut media in a RCBS vibratory type machine. I find it takes a day or more to really get the process complete.

I have been reading about stainless steel pins. I think these would be quicker. Does anyone have experience with stainless steel?

Also looking at wet tumbler machine I find them rather expensive. I think a rock tumbling machine would work well at a third of the price. Has any one tried a rock tumbler? Thanks!
I use SS pins and rotary tumbler with dawn and Lemi Shine. I love how clean the brass gets. I don't mind the extra step to dry in a dehydrator. I don't think I would like walnut media and having to change it out. My pins will probably last longer than the tumber. I know guys that dont use water with SS pins also. I am not sure how clean you like the brass but seems to work for them. I also know some that don't clean their brass.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
Vibratory with Lyman corn cob media for me. Lube, size and into the cleaner for 3-4 hours. Corn cob doesn’t seem to plug as many flash holes as walnut does for me, and cleans out easier when it does. I use a dental pick, flicks it right out.

EdP

WKR
I would not think introducing a small amount of lube into the cleaning media would be harmful. It could possibly require more frequent changes of media overtime.

Right. Nothing harmful, just would reduce the media effectiveness especially as it accumulated over time.

I’m just like you. I enjoy impeccable brass.

SS pins with a dab of lemishine and dawn for 6-8 hours is perfect for me. Primer pockets are spotless. Just ensure you use deionized water if planning to anneal. The necks will show some discoloration if you don’t ( cosmetic only)

6-8 hours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wright406

WKR
6-8 hours?

For me, yes, I normally throw it in when I’m at work but I’ve done it as short as two hours with mediocre results, 4 hours was okay but the 6-8 range with my rock tumbler was the perfect time for brand new looking brass

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Lizard litter in a vibratory tumbler for a couple hours. Sometimes I'll just wipe down the cases with rubbing alcohol if just reloading a small batch. Have considered wet tumbling with pins but it seems like a pain.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I just recently did my first batch in my wet tumbler without pins. Only dawn and lemi shine. They turned out just fine. Definitely not as shiny but certainly clean enough and I don’t have to deal with the pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffybr

FNG
I do HATE having to get walnut out of flash holes though.
I de-prime all of my rifle cases with a universal de-capping die before I wash and/or tumble the cases, then...

The de-capping pin of your size die will push that grain of walnut shell out of the flash hole just like it does the used primers.

For me, yes, I normally throw it in when I’m at work but I’ve done it as short as two hours with mediocre results, 4 hours was okay but the 6-8 range with my rock tumbler was the perfect time for brand new looking brass

Weird. I get completely clean brass including primer pockets and even inside the case in 2 hours or less.

Wright406

WKR
Weird. I get completely clean brass including primer pockets and even inside the case in 2 hours or less.

I may need to add more media but normally I just put it on overnight and let it work or when I go to work. Not saying it has to be done that long but just what works for myself and my schedule.

Yes, rock tumblers works with SS pins. I started with cheap little harbor freight rock tumblers to do it. Upgraded to the frankford arsenal wet tumbling setup which is a good value IMO. It spins a little fast for my liking but works well. SS is the way if you want like new shiny brass. I dont.

I've since moved to vibratory tumbling with rice. Doesn't clean primer pockets or make brass as spotless as SS pins. Keeps the carbon in the necks a little better which is a benefit. It is the easiest to deal with and doesn't have the dust of the walnut or corn cob medias. I still have the wet tumblers collecting dust if I ever have really nasty brass that needs work.

Last edited:
OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I feel educated on tumbling media now.

I resolved my brass issue by buying new walnut media and Frankfurt brass polish. Made a huge difference. I think I will stay away from the stainless media. A bit more time consuming.

Jimbee

WKR
Rock tumbler with ss pins and a tiny bit of soap. About an hour. 20240325_192827.jpg20240325_192824.jpgI pick up range brass and some of it is really dirty.

OP
Mtns2hunt

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
That is impressive. I don't pick up range brass. I'm just trying to keep my current brass in good shape.