Citric acid powder : Water….

I have read 2 oz of powder per quart of water. Accurate?

In a perfect world we would kill two bull moose. I imagine 4 quarts would be plenty of volume to spray meat down. Thoughts?

Do folks spray down again at any point in future when rotating bags (TAG bags by the way)?

On a side note - Doesn’t look like building a meat pole is going to be much of an option where I’m going. Kinda sucks.

is the acid supposed to repel bugs? we used tag bags last year and had no problems with bugs getting through the game bags. Not sure if anything could get through the tag bags.

AKSandman

FNG
Been using citric acid or vinegar in a spray bottle for a long time. I put maybe 1/2 cup crystals into a spray bottle that is .75 liters or so and spray it on the quarters, ribs, back strap and neck meat after they are hung. I’ll do this a couple times depending on how clean the butchering job is. Best spray bottles are the ones used for mist watering plants. Better spray coverage and you won’t be endlessly squeezing a spray bottle pump.

I always get a layer of mold growing on the meat doing this with the citric acid, not so much with the vinegar. Don’t know why, but it’s never been an issue spoilage wise. You just cut off the outer skin/rind hen you process like normal.

I’ll hang a moose for 7-14 days from kill date to when I process it for the best quality meat. Back straps get cut into steaks and then go in the fridge for another 7 or so days. No spoilage issues period.
Also, I brain shoot and then bleed moose like you would a farm animal, so there isn’t much blood in the meat. I have noticed that the less blood in the meat the less problems with internal spoilage I have which means more time to get a moose out of the field before it spoils.