Cirque Lite/Ambient/Kenai/Etc

Trying to decide if I should purchase one of these. I am in need of a lightweight spring/fall casual jacket, but when my casual stuff fills a space in my hunting system/kit/wardrobe/whatever its called these days. My 2nd layer for the past couple years has been a peloton 240 and I love it, especially since it works very well as an outer layer in mild weather and is so wind resistant. Is an active insulation jacket going to take the place of the 240?

I'd get another 240 but the way it fits just doesn't make it a real great casual jacket in my mind..

I like the ambient but would prefer a full zip and a hood, which has lead me to the cirque lite.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If casual double duty is the answer I think atom LT is best crossover kind of piece. But it isn’t near what the ambient or even kenai would be for breathability.

I like the SG jackets but they are very purpose cut. They talk about casual double duty and solid colors, and I try and use the full weight cirque for that, but the fit isn’t as forgiving as that arctyrex piece (which is shocking to write given the dead bird fit block is typically mega tight).

I still have a 240 and it’s kinda still a unique piece, jacket like yet a fleece, will buck some wind. All these puffies will be a lot warmer than it.

TravisIN

WKR
The Sitka ambient is bad ass. I can’t say enough good things about it. My favorite piece by far. I own 3 of them . Just picked up the pyrite on sale and my kids are giving it to me for Father’s Day via me giving it to my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fan of ambient as well. I went with the arrowhead version to get full zip And hood. They are getting hard to find. ambient is a different animal than the 240. Warmer. Probably less durable. Less stretchy but not much.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cirque Lite fits me pretty well- Large (5'11" 180-ish)- I think it would make a great casual jacket AND also a good mid-layer for hunting. I think you can send it back no questions if the fit isn't right.

The Ambient would work, but being a pullover kind of kills it for casual (for me anyways).

WoodBow

WKR
The Cirque Lite fits me pretty well- Large (5'11" 180-ish)- I think it would make a great casual jacket AND also a good mid-layer for hunting. I think you can send it back no questions if the fit isn't right.

The Ambient would work, but being a pullover kind of kills it for casual (for me anyways).
Ambient is also available in a full zip jacket. No hood though. I really wish they would make a full zip with a hood. I have always complained about how few mid layer options are full zip.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ like @Desk Jockey posted, if you can find an Arrowhead (division of Sitka) MDWi- it has both full zip and hood (and a few solid colors); I reviewed one a couple of years ago- great jacket!

JStol5

WKR
I picked up a Kenai discounted at the Kuiu store in NorCal. It is extremely lightweight, surprisingly water resistant, and decent in mild-somewhat windy conditions. Not as warm as down, but I've been very happy with it. The hood fits well and has a drawstring. Pit zips are great as well.

Bump79

WKR
I picked up a Kenai discounted at the Kuiu store in NorCal. It is extremely lightweight, surprisingly water resistant, and decent in mild-somewhat windy conditions. Not as warm as down, but I've been very happy with it. The hood fits well and has a drawstring. Pit zips are great as well.
I just couldn't get over the fit of the Kenai. It was so awkward for me like no others are - limited stretch, lift my arms it would pull up my torso & it was so fragile. I couldn't lean against a tree without the fabric pilling.

JStol5

WKR
I just couldn't get over the fit of the Kenai. It was so awkward for me like no others are - limited stretch, lift my arms it would pull up my torso & it was so fragile. I couldn't lean against a tree without the fabric pilling.
Interesting. I haven't had those issues. I'm 5'11, broad shoulders and arms (could use a bigger chest), roughly 195. I wear a large in almost everything but I size up to XL with Kuiu for outer layers and I've been very happy (I have a Rubicon and the Kenai).

Last edited:
If you like the idea of the Ambient, but want full zip with a hood, check out the Arc’Teryx Proton Lightweight hoodie (formerly the Proton FL). They use an insulation similar to the Ambient (albeit by a different name/manufacturer) with a face fabric much more stout than the Ambient. The downside: there aren't a ton of options in the color wheel right now that you may like including in your "hunting system/kit/wardrobe/whatever its called these days..." ha ha!

codell

FNG
Trying to decide if I should purchase one of these. I am in need of a lightweight spring/fall casual jacket, but when my casual stuff fills a space in my hunting system/kit/wardrobe/whatever its called these days. My 2nd layer for the past couple years has been a peloton 240 and I love it, especially since it works very well as an outer layer in mild weather and is so wind resistant. Is an active insulation jacket going to take the place of the 240?

I'd get another 240 but the way it fits just doesn't make it a real great casual jacket in my mind..

I like the ambient but would prefer a full zip and a hood, which has lead me to the cirque lite.
What did you end up going with and how was it?

OP
cornfedkiller
What did you end up going with and how was it?

Cirque lite. Haven't worn it while hunting yet, so I can't comment on that, but now that the temps have been in the 30s in the mornings and evenings, it's been my go-to jacket for the last month or so. Fit and feel are great, outer fabric seems durable enough, the weight seems perfect, and I never seem to overheat in the thing. If I wear it into a building or something, I find myself leaving it on longer than I think I should.