Circle Sawn Lumber (Oak)

treillw

WKR
Anybody know where to get some rough circle sawn oak around Montana? Or where to import it from that isn't crazy expensive?

As a second choice, circle sawn anything might have to do - let me know if you have other ideas.

Thanks!

IdahoElk

WKR
What length, thickness, width, how much do you need and what will you be doing with it? think you're looking for flat sawn lumber.

KHNC

WKR
My uncle in SC has a large amount of Wormy Chestnut. Very rare wood. It would be pretty expensive to ship im sure , but you wont likely get it anywhere else. He makes tables, mantles and coffee tables from it. Depending on what size you want, i can put you in touch.

tdhanses

WKR
Reach out to the Amish in the Midwest, just try contacting a few. Hard part will be shipping.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Not sure what you are wanting it for but, would reclaimed barn wood be an option, I would think being in Montana it would be readily available. I have made several projects using it. These boards are just over an inch thick. I even manage to grab a bunch of old squares nails to use for assemble. The nails really gave it that rustic look my wife was looking for.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
Bought some lumber for a chicken pen this week.
Not Oak, but still outrageously expensive.
Makes me want to buy one of them Harbor Freight
sawmills.

Over the last 30 years most of the 'barn wood' has been robbed, scavenged, etc. where available. There still are a number of circle saw mills that sell high quality rough cut boards at full dimension for about half the cost of the finished lumber.

Many of the locals have secured band saws and make boards on their own properties from their own logs.

The biggest problem I have observed is that with the diminished size of the logs and no kilns you can experience cupping and warping of the boards as they dry. But then again I have seen that with commercial plywood and airplane propeller studs.

KHNC

WKR
Not sure what you are wanting it for but, would reclaimed barn wood be an option, I would think being in Montana it would be readily available. I have made several projects using it. These boards are just over an inch thick. I even manage to grab a bunch of old squares nails to use for assemble. The nails really gave it that rustic look my wife was looking for.
THose doors are cool. My buddy in SD has one like that.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I wish I had taken all the Eastern Red Cedars off my mom's 50 acres
before she sold.
I did get an old barn door that I plan on making a table with.

Geewhiz

WKR
I believe Marks Lumber in Clancy does circle sawn lumber. Might give them a call.

I depend on them for 1x12 boards and 2x 10 and 2x6 red fir supports. High quality, reasonable price and nice folks.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What length, thickness, width, how much do you need and what will you be doing with it? think you're looking for flat sawn lumber.
I don't have the list in front of me, but I'm making a dresser. Need some 4x4, 2x4, and 1x4 mostly.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
My uncle in SC has a large amount of Wormy Chestnut. Very rare wood. It would be pretty expensive to ship im sure , but you wont likely get it anywhere else. He makes tables, mantles and coffee tables from it. Depending on what size you want, i can put you in touch.
I'll take a look at some pics. Might be too much though.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Only trouble with reclaimed is that if you hit one nail or piece of trash, your planer blades are shot.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Red oak or white oak? Green or dry? How much? When do you need it?
Preferably white, dry, I could get you a list if you've got sources, sooner the better but willing to wait for something really nice.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I believe Marks Lumber in Clancy does circle sawn lumber. Might give them a call.
They do a $500 minimum order, which kinda stinks. That and they are 6 weeks out. Exploring other options.

I'm sitting on their flooring now. House siding is from them, along with many other components of the house.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Only trouble with reclaimed is that if you hit one nail or piece of trash, your planer blades are shot.
yup, ask me how I know. Then I went over everything with magnet and located every last nail. the place I got it from had actually removed almost all of them, just left a few of hard to see ones.