Christiansen Arms VS Tikka VS Savage

OP
O
I’m hearing mixed opinions about all and it is essentially going to come down to person preference. Many have Owens at least one if not all three. I’ve never owned a Savage and never owned a CA. But I might ask, would anyone who had loads be willingly nag to send me a PM with details regarding what I would need to get into handloading? I know there millions of YouTube videos, but I’d rather it come from someone who knows what they’re doing. May sound dumb but I’d prefer someone show me in person. My family is not into handloading.

Back to the rifle debates, I don’t have anywhere locally I can get my hands on both without paying for them both (being a CA and the Tikka. I love the action on my Tikka as it’s buttery and smooth. But like I said, I’m open to either one. I will never sell my Tikka as I killed my first whitetail Buck with it. Thanks for all the info!

Rpolar

FNG
I have a CA Mesa in 308win and my wife shoots a T3x superlite in 7mm-08. Both shoot factory ammo under 1”, if looks are important to you the CA is a great choice but if not go for the Tikka, no frills and they’re known for being accurate and reliable. I haven’t had a savage that I really liked but that was more personal preference and they now have a lot more adjustability which I find a little tacky looking. If I were going to add another rifle at the moment it would be a Tikka.

OP
O

got two elk a few years back with basically this lefty gun. can't speak to your other options.

and btw that vortex 4.5-27 is an awesome scope, have that on my PRS rifle, but that's a heavy ass scope to be toting around the mountains...
I have it in a box, I may invest in a Leupold vX5 or trade it for something different

SwiftShot

WKR
I own all three. I have a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in 300 win mag. Great gun, shoots sub moa all day. I have 2 Christensen Arms Ridgelines, 6.5 PRC and 300 RUM. Shoot about .5 MOA with hand loads. Amazing guns uber light. I have a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM. Great gun Sub MOA with factory ammo all day. For the price you cannot beat a Tikka. The Christensen are lighter weight, have a better recoil pad and a nicer stock on them. While the Tikka stock is ok it is not as nice. Elk dont care what they are shot with and that Tikka is an amazing buy stil today.

Jimss

WKR
I would add Sako Finnlite to your list. I have a 300 WSM that I use for everything that moves in NA. It is relatively light weight, barely kicks, and shoots very well. Do yourself a favor and take a look....if you are like me you will be impressed with the quality. I've shot everything from antelope to elk, deer, bighorn, dall sheep, mtn goat, bear with mine.

madx250

FNG
I had a Superlight in 300WSM. For me the recoil was a little more than i wanted to deal with. So you may want to factor in the cost of a brake. I don't do magnums in a '' mountain rifle'' anymore.

OP
O
I wish I could get a Christensen in 300WSM. They don’t make one in left handed. Can’t seem to find one of there Ridge lines or mesas in that caliber

OP
O
Short Action, ammo weighs less, similar performance to a 300WM in smaller package and factory ammo is much easier to find compared to a 28 Nosler. I don’t handloading, so I want something fairly easy to find and I’m looking for something I can shoot regularly.

OP
O
Short Action, ammo weighs less, similar performance to a 300WM in smaller package and factory ammo is much easier to find compared to a 28 Nosler. I don’t handloading, so I want something fairly easy to find and I’m looking for something I can shoot regularly.
I’ve never gotten into any of the PRC or 6.5 cartridges just due to growing up with somewhat of an old school kind of mentality. Big Game = 30 Cal.

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own a Savage or CA, but I do own 2 Tikkas. One is the the first Gen T3 in 22-250 for predators. Owned that one since 2007. Shot nearly a hundred coyotes with it and no problems in extreme cold. Gun handles great and action is silky smooth. If I do my job, I can shoot 1/2-3/4 moa all day with factory ammo. Last year I sold my heavy 300 win mag custom rig, and bought a Tikka Veil wideland in 300 win mag. The key features I love about this rig is the oversized bolt handle, stainless parts underneath a layer of cerakote, threaded muzzle with break, and the slightly larger fluted barrel. I consistently shoot 1/2 moa out to 600 yds with it with factory ammo. With a Nightforce Nxs 5.5x22x50 and Dnz 215 tactical mount, it weighs about 9.25 lbs. It is literally the perfect western rig. This year I shot my Mule deer at 565 yds; one shot kill. I'd go Tikka.

As someone who’s in the market for a new rifle for this year I wanted some input. I am a left handed shooter who’s grown up shooting left hand bolt guns. I know it may sound a little spoiled but it’s what I’ve had growing up.

I am in the market for a new bolt gun chambered in 300WSM for use with Mule Dear, Elk, Black Bears, Sheep and Goats. I have a Tikka T3 with the stainless barrel chambered in 243 that I whitetail and hog hunt with back East.

As most of you know, left handed bolt guns are easier to come by now than 10 years ago but are still pretty sparse.

I stumbled across the Christiansen Arms and the Savage Ultralight 110. From what I’ve seen and held in my hands, I am still a big fan of Tikka, Specifically the Superlight with a Stainless Barrel. I have looked into Christiansen Arms line and I’m not sure what I’m getting over my Tikka for $1000+ more money. My tikka shoots ~0.25-0.50 inch groups at 300 yards with factory ammo. I understand the benefit of a carbon barrel and weight savings.

The Savage seems cheap to me. The stock at least. The barrel is pretty sweet for shaving weight, but from what I’ve seen, in order to make the Savage on par with the Tikka and CA you’re looking at an additional $750+ on top of the rifle for an aftermarket stock.

If you’ve made it this far I appreciate it. If there are any owners of all three manufactured Rifles on here please post your feedback and let me know your thoughts. Any of these rifles I choose will be getting a muzzle break. Also worth noting I’m looking to shoot factory ammunition for now. I have never gotten into reloading or doing hand load stuff. If someone wanted to even post some advice on what supplies were needed so I can complete a cost analysis of whether the reloading would be worth my time in the long run, please feel free. I’m interested in it just don’t know where to start.
So I've owned, or currently own, all three. I've most recently purchased a Christensen Mesa, then their ultralight carbon stock for it. I've owned 4 or 5 Tikkas, and every one was just as you described, boringly accurate. But before all of those I owned Savages and left them, then came back to them. My current go-to is a Savage Ultralight in .308.

I absolutely love my Savage Ultralight. Yes, the stocks seem cheap, but every Savage I've owned has been as accurate as every Tikka I've owned. And for me at least, the new Savage stock designs fits me better than any stock I've ever tried, including $600+ carbon fiber stocks by CA and Stockys.

I never could get on with the Tikka stocks and I'm struggling with the CA stocks, although IMO they are better than the Tikka stocks.

People who are down on Savages probably haven't really owned one and hunted with it for long. Sure, they aren't the best looking or smoothest out there, but they shoot great, are stupid easy to work on and are relatively inexpensive. If you swap your own barrels like I do, they are the best platform to use.

Of the three, I'd put the CA's last. Tikkas are money. Rock solid performers at a fair price. Savages are as well, but not as refined and the price reflects that. CA's are a bit overpriced for what they are.

That's my .02 from actually owning all three and quite a few of the Savage and Tikkas.

OP
O
So I've owned, or currently own, all three. I've most recently purchased a Christensen Mesa, then their ultralight carbon stock for it. I've owned 4 or 5 Tikkas, and every one was just as you described, boringly accurate. But before all of those I owned Savages and left them, then came back to them. My current go-to is a Savage Ultralight in .308.

I absolutely love my Savage Ultralight. Yes, the stocks seem cheap, but every Savage I've owned has been as accurate as every Tikka I've owned. And for me at least, the new Savage stock designs fits me better than any stock I've ever tried, including $600+ carbon fiber stocks by CA and Stockys.

I never could get on with the Tikka stocks and I'm struggling with the CA stocks, although IMO they are better than the Tikka stocks.

People who are down on Savages probably haven't really owned one and hunted with it for long. Sure, they aren't the best looking or smoothest out there, but they shoot great, are stupid easy to work on and are relatively inexpensive. If you swap your own barrels like I do, they are the best platform to use.

Of the three, I'd put the CA's last. Tikkas are money. Rock solid performers at a fair price. Savages are as well, but not as refined and the price reflects that. CA's are a bit overpriced for what they are.

That's my .02 from actually owning all three and quite a few of the Savage and Tikkas.
From what I've found and researched I can get my Tikka for less than $800 from my local guy, Can send it to Hells Canyon Armory to thread the barrel and install a brake. I am also looking into the Mesa Precision Altitude Stock for it. With optics, the brake and the stock I could be in a fully ready to go Tikka for right around the same price as a CA Mesa. But having shot Tikkas my whole life, I think it's going to be the best fit for all around Western Hunting out to around 500 yards.

I am planning to get into handloading and can toy around in the offseason with some handloads at the range and find out what works best.

Anyone on here have experience with Mesa Precision Stocks?

MAP1

FNG
300 WSM is s great cartridge but factory ammo is extremely limited right now. I would go 30-06 , 7 mag or 300 WIN mag in Tikka.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
300 WSM is s great cartridge but factory ammo is extremely limited right now. I would go 30-06 , 7 mag or 300 WIN mag in Tikka.

You hear a bunch against it but I agree with MAP1 100%. It’s hard (actually impossible in my mind) to beat the classics. At the end of the day both the new hotness and an oldie is still the same brass, powder, primer and bullet all assembled into one cartridge. Get your desired velocity and the bullet you want and the rest is never going to be enough to make a difference in your hunt.

Ammo availability is pretty important in today’s time.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I have never owned a CA (& probably won't). When Rem qc really started going downhill, I switched to Savage. I still own a few, in most cases they will flat-out shoot, but as a friend of mine who calls them "Salvage" rifles says "they're about as refined as a bathtub still." My deer rig is a Savage 16 that I trued 15 years ago, it currently wears a Shaw .358 Win barrel for IA deer regulations. However, for my money, give me a Tikka! Every one I own or have owned shoots. The aftermarket for Tikka is really taking off, I believe they're the best value for the cash today.

I’m a fellow lefty. Had all 3 you mention. I am generally up on all things LH Rifles.

If you are in the US…you will not find a Lefty 300 WSM by CA. So cross it off your list and move on

Actually getting your hands on a LH Tikka in 300 WSM may be just as challenging.

I understand you want a larger caliber. That’s fine. But shit can the WSM path unless you are willing to build a rifle

Change your requirements to 7mm REM Mag and you will have many more options.