Christiansen Arms VS Tikka VS Savage

davsco

WKR
yeah 300wsm ammo availability went to hell quickly. not even a full page on ammoseek and it's all 150g. 300wm has way more availability and variety now, when they were pretty even just a few years back.

davsco

WKR
From what I've found and researched I can get my Tikka for less than $800 from my local guy, Can send it to Hells Canyon Armory to thread the barrel and install a brake. I am also looking into the Mesa Precision Altitude Stock for it. With optics, the brake and the stock I could be in a fully ready to go Tikka for right around the same price as a CA Mesa. But having shot Tikkas my whole life, I think it's going to be the best fit for all around Western Hunting out to around 500 yards.
I did what you are thinking, and took it a little further. Started with a lefty tikka t3x 300wsm. having had a t3 in 300wm that kicked like a friggin mule (or two or three), i immediately had it threaded for a brake. that, and putting it into a mesa altitude stock, really made it a pussycat. got two elk with it but then took it a step further and put on a proof carbon barrel.

i will say i think the mesa altitude stock will really help with recoil punishment. i'd try just that first and then see if you do need a brake, although you might want one to tame muzzle jump.

I own two Christensen rifles the mpr, and a ranger 22. They shoot great I’ve had zero issues, fit/finish is excellent, they’re not custom rifles so comparing them to one is apples to oranges.
I’ve never shot a Tikka but the few I’ve handled seem great, plenty of aftermarket accessories on the market for them.
Savage are fine shooting guns but not aesthetically pleasing to me, I can’t knock them on anything but being ugly.
If you’ve got a Tikka already is makes sense to me to have a second rifle on the same platform dexterity of arms and all that. Lots of folks build custom guns using Tikka actions.

TheHammer

WKR
Anyone on here have experience with Mesa Precision Stocks?
If you dig around on here you’ll find the most common negative review to be the ergos of the stock/stock lines being off/too low on the comb. I have one with adjustable comb on order for my 110LWS. Should be end of month ish when I receive it.

Being someone who owned all 3 rifles at the same time. Almost all my bolt rifles now are 110s. Always accurate and dependable. I like the idea of a 2 stage trigger that can be set fairly light with no issues. Factory Adjustability. Sure if you are trying to tweak the stock it’ll give in a couple places but never in a real world shooting situation have I experienced where that’s a problem. Plus the feel of the most their stocks fits me.

NickT406

FNG
I own the savage 110 ultralight in 300wsm and it's been my deer and elk gun for 2 years. Very accurate gun with any ammo I've ever put in it. I took the stock off it and put it in a bell and Carlson Sporter for 300 bucks to give it a better feel.
Cons -
The mag only holds 2 rounds and the second round out of the mag I consistently get feeding issues.
The action feels nothing near what a Tikka feels like.
If I was to do it all over I would buy a Tikka 300wsm and maybe swap the stock out.
I also owned a Christenson Ridgeline and never got under 1.5 moa with it so it's hard for me to recommend them.

OP
O
I own the savage 110 ultralight in 300wsm and it's been my deer and elk gun for 2 years. Very accurate gun with any ammo I've ever put in it. I took the stock off it and put it in a bell and Carlson Sporter for 300 bucks to give it a better feel.
Cons -
The mag only holds 2 rounds and the second round out of the mag I consistently get feeding issues.
The action feels nothing near what a Tikka feels like.
If I was to do it all over I would buy a Tikka 300wsm and maybe swap the stock out.
I also owned a Christenson Ridgeline and never got under 1.5 moa with it so it's hard for me to recommend them.
300wsm is very difficult to find ammo for. I have none and cant find any for less than $100 a box. I currently am thinking of 7mm Rem Mag.

CRJR45

WKR
I'm a Savage kind of guy , LOL , I have several of them and find them very adequate . Along with a Kimber and a couple other rifles .

But , with whatever gun you buy , it will shoot better with hand loads .
I see posts about rifles not shooting well , and I have to wonder if they were just not fed the right ammo ?
I started handloading because I couldn't find the ammo I wanted for my 7mm . My accuracy improved immensely .

So instead of all these what rifle to buy threads , maybe a why ain't you reloading threads would make more sense ? Get a inexpensive gun and the spend the rest of your budget on reloading supplies .
I have less than $1000 into my setup and enjoy the reloading process .
Plus I shoot better , so , WIN !

NickT406

FNG
300wsm is very difficult to find ammo for. I have none and cant find any for less than $100 a box. I currently am thinking of 7mm Rem Mag.
Can't go wrong with a 7 rem mag. I own a Tikka 7mm rem mag also. Shoots 1/2 moa 3 shot groups with federal Barnes ttsx and Hornady eldx.
I've wanted to reload for a long time but I have a hard time investing the money and time when I can get tight groups out of box ammo these days.

I'd stick to you tried and true gun, the Tikka or if your looking for another great gun maker known for precision barrel making; look at the Bergara. They are so sweet. When I looked at everything that was on the store shelves, it came down to Tikka 6.5 PRC or the Bergara B-14 Ridge with a carbon barrel in the 6.5 PRC. I went with the Bergara this time. Excellent feel, smooth bolt and crisp light trigger. I felt the stock was more rigid and supported the gun better than Tikka's that I held. Both guns are great though and you can't go wrong with either one. You just might want to re-stock the Tikka if you don't like the way it feels.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Tikka, browning, franchi. U couldn't give me a Christensen, total garbage.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Well, my brother has a Tikka, 6.5, and his Christensen 300prc is now back at the factory 4 times, bolt won't close, head milling. They told him to seat his factory ammo deeper??? Wtf?? Lmfao

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

I have 3 good ones. I would love to see that statement, seat factory deeper.
My nephew doesn't bs. He has all prc calibers, took a flyer on Christensen, he talked me out of it, I went with franchi for my sheep hunt.

My nephew doesn't bs. He has all prc calibers, took a flyer on Christensen, he talked me out of it, I went with franchi for my sheep hunt.
You obviously haven’t read the franchi reviews. Between myself and families/buddies we have over 25 christensen rifles. All are sub MOA with factory ammo, all of mine will shoot sub .5 moa. A long time ago, christensen was outsourcing there barrels and had some QC issues. Since they brought them in house, you will rarely hear about any major complaints. Most of what you hear are complaints from people like you who have never owned one. My Ridgeline FFT 280 AI had a stiff firing pin out of the box. Contacted CA, they had me a shipping label in a few minutes and the gun was fixed and back to me in less than 10 days.

I also love how you feel like somehow him having PRCs adds to his credibility somehow🤣🤣.

Macintosh

WKR
Tikka—never heard anyone say they are inconsistent. Some people dont care for them, but I think one thing nearly everyone will agree is that you have excellent odds of getting exactly what you expect—a no-frills, reliable feeding, smooth action rifle with a good trigger that shoots around 1moa out of the box, with decent aftermarket and customization available, at a very reasonable price. That very high odds of meeting expectation counts for a lot to me.

Savage—every one I personally know shoots great. They seem to like being completely stripped, cleaned, then carefully reassembled, and after that they seem rock solid as that takes care of the issues Ive seen (feeding, inconsistency). My only gripe is the gritty-feeling actions.

Christenson—never owned one. It seems to be one of those brands where there are a lot of people who have had great luck, but also a solid group who will never own another. This thread is a perfect example of that. That in itself says something to me about my odds of getting what I want out of the rifle. Odds are it’ll be great, but since I have other very good options that meet all of my criteria that seem to be more consistent, I havent felt the need to try one.

jpmulk

WKR
I am a lefty who has owned all three. Tikka is number one. I had a horrible experience with christensen. Poor quality control with them. Ill never buy another christensen. Its hard to beat what tikka offers bang for buck. My experience with savage has been fine. But much prefer my tikka.

jpmulk

WKR
Tikka—never heard anyone say they are inconsistent. Some people dont care for them, but I think one thing nearly everyone will agree is that you have excellent odds of getting exactly what you expect—a no-frills, reliable feeding, smooth action rifle with a good trigger that shoots around 1moa out of the box, with decent aftermarket and customization available, at a very reasonable price. That very high odds of meeting expectation counts for a lot to me.

Savage—every one I personally know shoots great. They seem to like being completely stripped, cleaned, then carefully reassembled, and after that they seem rock solid as that takes care of the issues Ive seen (feeding, inconsistency). My only gripe is the gritty-feeling actions.

Christenson—never owned one. It seems to be one of those brands where there are a lot of people who have had great luck, but also a solid group who will never own another. This thread is a perfect example of that. That in itself says something to me about my odds of getting what I want out of the rifle. Odds are it’ll be great, but since I have other very good options that meet all of my criteria that seem to be more consistent, I havent felt the need to try one.
I gambled and lost with christensen. Got one of there crap ones and went back to tikka.