Choosing first hot tent

Adkhntr

FNG
Hello,
I’m new to this forum, but have enjoyed reading all of the information for quite a while. I live in the Adirondacks in upstate NY. This year a friend and I took the plunge and decided to backpack/canoe hunt the backcountry as opposed to our usual day hike in trips. We had a lot of fun, but Definetly need to make some changes to our sleep system. We have decided a tipi with a lightweight stove makes the most sense for us.

ultimately this will be used for mid-late season hunting trips either by backpack or canoe, early spring backcountry trout fishing trips and possibly some summer camping. Temperatures could be anywhere from -10 Fahrenheit to 50 degrees. Looking for the most bang for the buck, and we are leaning towards a Luxe mega horn xl tipi as it includes the clip in floor, already seam sealed, and seems like the better value for the price, then add in the stove and the whole combination is less than a kifaru or seek outside tipi.

many experiences with the luxe tipi, or other thoughts or ideas?

thanks for any advice!

Luxe does sound appealing. However, after doing more research and reading reviews, comments, etc. I think it's best to move away from them. I was debating on purchasing one but 1.The tents are made in china (keeps costs down) 2. As far as I can tell the warranty isn't anywhere close to kifaru or SO 3. The material isn't on the same level as kifaru or SO. After researching this I decided to stay clear of them. Both Kifaru and SO are excellent companies with the best customer service. Go with luxe if your budget doesn't allow the other two.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know anything about Luxe, but when you mentioned canoe camping I immediately thought about bugs. Anything with a stove in it probably isn't going to have a floor and that can be a big issue with those critters. A floorless tent with a stove can be a game changer but it definitely has its summertime limitations. If you're looking to save a substantial amount of money you could look into sewing your own tent. I sewed up a Kifaru tut copycat a couple winters ago with almost no sewing experience. I started with a couple tarps to learn how to make a good seam then I took the plunge. It was only about 100$ in materials and kept me occupied through a long winter. Theres tons of good info in the DIY forum. Good luck either way.

mtbn

FNG
Not inexpensive by any means but I have a SO 8 man combo and the 1/2 inner tent for buggy times. You can still use the stove and not worry about bugs. You might also be able to fit a 2 man tent minus the fly inside if you already have one. Not really backpackable but ok for canoeing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a shelter is an important investment, as such I would stick with what is known to work AND if there is any issue w/ a warranty- you know you're going to be taken care of

sounds like a Cimarron would fit the bill, small stove in colder weather, 1/2 nest in buggy weather

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Redcliffe and a stove if you are looking for a little more room . Around 9 lbs for both. I use mine year round and as I've said before hot tents are a GAME CHANGER. Both SO and Kifaru are outstanding companies with products and service to match. You can't go wrong with either brand.

To piggy back on what I previously said. I read a few bad reviews on luxe. The owner came to the defense and stated that "since they didn't mark their tents up 300% they can't offer the kind of warranty that other companies offer." So, pay less and get less CS or pay more and get great CS. Personally, customer service and warranty is huge for me. PLUS, you're supporting america and not china.

Last edited:

Jaker_cc

WKR
Seek Redcliffe and a stove if you are looking for a little more room . Around 9 lbs for both. I use mine year round and as I've said before hot tents are a GAME CHANGER. Both SO and Kifaru are outstanding companies with products and service to match. You can't go wrong with either brand.

This is what I will be running this winter, and early next spring. I did tons of research

I used a SO Redcliff for the past 5 years or so. Hunted with a friend this year (normally hunt solo), and the Redcliff was perfect for 2 of us, in the rain and snow, as we could lay stuff out, hang stuff up etc. It does have a larger foot print than the smaller 2-3 man set ups, but I have yet to find that to be an issue.

Thank you for all the feedback!! We ended up ordering a SO 8 man tipi today. Very excited to start using it, we’ll be getting a stove down the road, so any tips or ideas for a stove would be welcome.

Great choice!! SO is top notch! Kevin is on the site often and is a great guy from what I can tell. Plus, they’re a RS sponsor.