Cheatgrass vs Mule Deer

Jimss

WKR
With all of the talk across the country about the decline in mule deer I thought I would start a fairly detailed post about some of our work in Colorado. It's available on the MonsterMuley website with the title Cheatgrass vs Mule Deer. There has been a pretty good discussion. I am trying to get the word out to as many land managers across the country as possible. The long-term benefits to mule deer, mule deer habitat, and other wildlife are amazing!

Here is the link:

Fatcamp

WKR
Excited to read it.

Onenof the areas I hunt has seen a frightening increase just in the last couple years. It's taking over.

I actually planned on touching base with you before contacting the local biologist. 😁

Thanks for sharing your results. It seems like an effective solution to battle cheatgrass has been a long time in the making. Hopefully with a growing body of data for its efficacy more state agencies and land managers will get on board.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Now that Rejuvra has a grazing tolerance on its label there has been a lot more research and acres being sprayed.

There are quite a few professors across the Western US that have multiple graduate students working on different Rejuvra and other cheatgrass projects. It's really nice when all of the research tends to overlap and share the same positive results! Our annual Western Society of Weed Science Conference has been overloaded with cheatgrass presentations the past 3 years. The next WSWS meeting is this spring in Denver, Colorado.

Now that Rejuvra has a grazing tolerance on its label there has been a lot more research and acres being sprayed.

There are quite a few professors across the Western US that have multiple graduate students working on different Rejuvra and other cheatgrass projects. It's really nice when all of the research tends to overlap and share the same positive results! Our annual Western Society of Weed Science Conference has been overloaded with cheatgrass presentations the past 3 years. The next WSWS meeting is this spring in Denver, Colorado.
Keep it up! We need this type of work and hunters should pay attention!

Come on bro, we all know mule deer declines are about tag allocation, not habitat......

Good on you for putting the work into something that actually moves the needle.
A couple people in another thread here said it's because our scopes are too good so hunters are too effective now lol

nphunter

WKR
Great info, I hate cheat grass, upland hunters will love this, I know several areas guys have quit running their dogs in some areas due to having so much cheatgrass. I don't think we will see any measurable results in mule deer herds in my state by getting rid of cheatgrass but I'm all for getting rid of it and every little bit helps.

If we could put some additives that sterilized big cats and coyotes it would have a major impact on deer numbers!

For many, the cheat grass-mule deer interaction is too abstract for them to understand. I was recently over on another hunting forum and the lack of general science understanding in some of the responding comments was appalling. The individual who posted did a great job including most of a powerpoint presentation that clearly showed what reducing cheat grass has a positive impact on higher quality native forage. I think we all know that we will not be able to spray/treat all of the western US, but until there is a better tool, this is one of the best we have. One of the best things that we can do for mule deer is protect the quality and quantity of habitat that we have, in particular winter range when animals are at their most vulnerable. We are currently doing a great job at destroying winter range as many new house builds are in the foothills and these areas are low enough elevation that cheat grass and other annual invasives thrive. No habitat, no deer. Yes, there are other drivers/causes to the declining deer numbers, but this is one of the most ubiquitous ones out there.

Thank you! Rejuvra has changed many ranches in my area from feed ground to recently burned pastures. I have one strip plot that has been holding for 7 years when it was experimental esplanade. I do hope our state and federal lands take a good look at this amazing chemistry. If it makes such a large return for cattle it has to for deer and elk too.

Quite affordable through a plane at 3 gallon work if you look at how long it lasts too and not having the county out at the wrong time watch year wasting tax payer dollars.

I’m so glad to see this research coming out. I’m in the wildlife research field and while I do habitat selection study-type research, I am less understanding of the full habitat component. I think we need to see an integration of the range and wildlife science fields to assess this along with other habitat related issues. The mega fire issue is something I’m very interested in and have done some research on. Hopefully this gains traction and continues to help our mule deer populations. Also, the ability of feral horses to digest cheatgrass is pretty astounding. In areas like Nevada, we need to completely remove feral horses to help stop the spread as well as improve feed conditions.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With all of the talk across the country about the decline in mule deer I thought I would start a fairly detailed post about some of our work in Colorado. It's available on the MonsterMuley website with the title Cheatgrass vs Mule Deer. There has been a pretty good discussion. I am trying to get the word out to as many land managers across the country as possible. The long-term benefits to mule deer, mule deer habitat, and other wildlife are amazing!

Here is the link:
good work Jimss

Let's chat about getting you on a Rokcast episode. Happy to support your efforts.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Stache Attack,
Thanks for sharing your positive long-term results with Rejuvra! It's always great hearing other success stories! The good news seems to be slowly but surely getting out.

Elkhunter505,
The closer in detail we look at long-term impacts from cheatgrass control the more ecological benefits we are seeing. It's amazing to see how controlling one invasive weed species helps so many other native plant and wildlife species.

If you think about it, native plants, birds, small mammals, big game, predators, pollinators, trees, shrubs, lichens, and even soil microbe are tied to each other. If one or more of these specie's populations is struggling it likely negatively impacts others.

We not only have game cameras set up monitoring deer and elk, but also cameras closer to the ground monitoring rabbits, rodents, lizards, amphibians, and birds. We've found a few species on several of our properties that our wildlife group weren't even aware that existed on the properties. Some likely have shown up or increased in population after we improved their habitat.

If cheatgrass is controlled soon enough, it's possible to turn things around in a positive direction in a relatively short period of time. Obviously, some areas where cheatgrass and wildfire have negatively impacted an area for many years it may take additional time and work.

We had a conference in Boise last year and I was amazed at the long-term negative impacts from cheatgrass and wildfire in that area. That's why it's so important to be proactive and get rid of cheatgrass on fewer acreages early on when remnant native populations and seed is still intact.

There is so much that can be learned. I'm just trying to get some of this invaluable information out to others so they can reap the benefits!

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Jimss, out of curiosity, when you mention cheat grass are you including other annual invasive grasses like Ventenata?

Indaziflam is an awesome preemergent chemical. We've used Esplanade for years in industrial bare ground applications, I was super excited when it got labeled for range use as Rejuvra. From the presentations I've seen, it's extremely useful in areas that still have a good seed bank of native species like bunch grasses. The native seeds have been there longer and will have worked deeper into the soil profile below the depth where the Rejuvra sits, whereas the Cheat & Ventenata seeds will fall into the top layer and as they germinate they draw in the chemical.

The problem is areas that have been infested for so long that there isn't a native seed bank left to rely on. Once you treat with Rejuvra you can't go and seed because the Rejuvra will kill your new seed as it germinates just like it does to the annuals. The answer I have heard they are working on is to coat seed with activated charcoal to protect it from the chemical immediately around it, but this was early in research and quite a ways from being available.

I'll be interested to hear any updates on this at the INWCA in a couple weeks.

The thing I can't understand is why Idaho never listed Cheat or Ventenata as noxious...

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Chris,
Fortunately, we don't have ventenata or medusahead that I'm aware of here in Colorado. I've heard that Rejuvra works just as well on both of those annual grass species as cheatgrass. You may be aware that they are spraying thousands of acres of them in the Sheridan, Wyoming area.

We have both Japanese and downy brome here in Colorado. A couple other annual grass species we've had great luck with is jointed goatgrass and feral rye. Annual grass species seem very susceptible to even low rates of indaziflam (Rejuvra).

I gotta run but will add some additional comments later.

Last edited:

COelk89

FNG
Awesome to see this on here. I manage an herbicide application division and am a licensed applicator in CO as well as UT and WY. We do lot of well pad and winter range work in the NW part of CO. I am a firm believer that one of the most critical fights that hunters are barely aware of is noxious weeds, especially cheatgrass. Unfortunately most just do not even know what the weeds are. We are getting more and more rejuvera applications and are very hopeful for the BLM field offices to begin approving in theri local EIS' in the next year or so.

Wash your trucks and keep your boots clean when moving spot to spot as best you can!!!