Cheap Stuff that Works

Have a link?? Amazon has been out of the carbon blade models every time I’ve looked for a while. Thanks
I got this one:

and also picked up a stainless option for comparison:

If anyone has an opinion on stainless v carbon steel I'm interested. Carbon steel seems easier to touch up as it dulls but obviously stainless wont corrode while covered in blood etc

Reactions: BLJ

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got this one:

If anyone has an opinion on stainless v carbon steel I'm interested. Carbon steel seems easier to touch up as it dulls but obviously stainless wont corrode while covered in blood etc
That’s exactly why I got the ss.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I got this one:

The Moras must be a pretty high carbon Stainless Steel as I've seen a few my friends have put away dirty and they rust pretty quickly, I clean mine pronto whenever I use it and it still looks new.

I've got both carbon and stainless, I prefer using the carbon day to day as it feels sharper, but the stainless is great for just leaving in the truck or boat.

The Moras must be a pretty high carbon Stainless Steel as I've seen a few my friends have put away dirty and they rust pretty quickly, I clean mine pronto whenever I use it and it still looks new.

I've got both carbon and stainless, I prefer using the carbon day to day as it feels sharper, but the stainless is great for just leaving in the truck or boat.
You nailed it. High carbon will usually trump stainless for sharpness, edge retention, and ease of sharpening, but they do require some maintenance to prevent corrosion. Getting blood off immediately is the key to keeping them looking good. Surface rust can be removed with the same pads used to remove tarnish from silver. Heavier rust can be removed by soaking in vinegar and scotch brite pad.

BRS 3000T camping stove. $17 bucks, amazingly light weight, works as well as anything out there. I'm sure it's a knock off of something, but I've got three of them tucked away, and one of them goes with me on backpacking trips or hunting trips.

Brando

FNG
This is more repurposing than cheap stuff that works but they are free with the purchase of diaphragms. For those that pack extra AAA batteries for headlamps the little clear cases that elk and turkey diaphragms come in will hold 4 AAA batteries very nicely. Keeping them together instead of rolling around loose in your pack.

IMG_0636.jpeg

BRS 3000T camping stove. $17 bucks, amazingly light weight, works as well as anything out there. I'm sure it's a knock off of something, but I've got three of them tucked away, and one of them goes with me on backpacking trips or hunting trips.
I use the same stove, but there is some data that suggests it probably isn’t the best option for efficiency or weight (on longer trips). Love it for overnighters and weekend trips

I use the same stove, but there is some data that suggests it probably isn’t the best option for efficiency or weight (on longer trips). Love it for overnighters and weekend trips

Sure, I could see if you really measured it’s exact efficiency and were limited in resupply that there could be better options, but I think the majority of backpackers, even through hikers, can get restocked often enough that it doesn’t make a difference. I certainly don’t claim to be a through hiker, but I’ve done a lot of three to four day trips and never had an appreciable difference in fuel between different stoves.

Brando

FNG
The BRS does well if it's not windy or if you can keep it protected from the wind.
Tinfoil or a cheap wind deflector does this nicely depending on how windy it is. I’ve had the BRS for almost 7 years and still boils water like the day I bought it. May take a few minutes longer than an MSR or Jetboil but I don’t think you can beat it for the price.

Bowtie747

FNG
Anyone find they would rather use a cheap replaceable blade knife over a high quality knife? I have a few Benchmade knife’s and idk I’m always worried of losing them. And those replaceable blades like the outdoor edge r cheap and good

So anyone find themselves going from one to the other?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Anyone find they would rather use a cheap replaceable blade knife over a high quality knife? I have a few Benchmade knife’s and idk I’m always worried of losing them. And those replaceable blades like the outdoor edge r cheap and good

I'm a knife junkie. I don't even know how many I have nor where they all are. I've been using my Outdoor Edge more and more but I do use fixed blades also. I'm a flip-flopper.

Ralphie

WKR

Yes. Pretty much use the havalons for everything. Orange and sharp and not expensive.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
x2 ont he Wrangler stretch pants,
also these shirts as a base layer
The Orvis Tech pants from Costco even better price than Wranglers. It seems comparable to the wranglers material wise at 17.99 direct at the Costco store. I have the Kuiu Tiburon and find them very similar to the wranglers minus the hip vents. Wranglers are more durable not as fragile as the tiburon. For hot weather the Orvis will most likely work as well.