Cheap Stuff that Works

Are the 0 or -20 Elk Hunter bags any good? I'd like to get a warm bag for truck camping, but it's rare that I ever see temps below 10-15 degrees even in the middle of winter.

Bazookas

FNG
Not sure if this is a big deal for many folks but I deal with tight muscles so I like to roll them as much as possible. Lacrosse balls work great but they are heavy so I started to carry a pickleball ball in my pack. Weighs next to nothing and does as good of a job as a lacrosse ball at rolling out the knots. Franklin 3 pack is great; one for pack, one for truck, one for home

IMG_4992.jpeg

Not sure if this is a big deal for many folks but I deal with tight muscles so I like to roll them as much as possible. Lacrosse balls work great but they are heavy so I started to carry a pickleball ball in my pack. Weighs next to nothing and does as good of a job as a lacrosse ball at rolling out the knots. Franklin 3 pack is great; one for pack, one for truck, one for home

View attachment 741985
Love this! Completely agree with you on needing to keep up with the tight spots

Any of the ECWS layers, super cheap, they work wonderfully , and they last a while. And you don't gotta worry about trashing them like you would your higher dollar items. Especially if you're a hunter on a budget.. I run the lvl 3. 1/4 zip grid fleece about 280 days a year and I'm on year 4 with it...
An opinel no8 knife, it's super light weight and is sharp as a razor. Easy to touch up if needed.
- mora companion, cheap and works for all tasks from camp to processing.
- Costco or orvis tech pants ,along the lines of the Eddie Bauer ones. I run their fleece lined ones in the winter.
Love the ECWS system. The waffle top is great. Waffle bottoms are great too. My favorite is the softshell layer pants. Found some from Wild Things, they are the most comfortable pants to hike in. They have a fleece lined, and unlined version. I have both the grid fleece backed ones, and the non lined ones. Another favorite is the softshell fleece backed beanie from beyond clothing. Ebay is the best place to find deals.

Honyock

WKR
Has anyone found a cheap/budget ball head for shooting? I know that RRS Anvil, etc are great (expensive) options but I'm setting up a tripod for my son and I don't want to spend a lot.

Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

Mora 711 Carbon Steel 4 Inch

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I'm using that meat tarp recommendation. Good find.

I have an anger 28500mah charging pack. It can charge my in reach, watch if needed, phone and headlamps for 7 days.

Cost me a whopping 30$. While not waterproof it stays in a dry bag.

1) Walmart Sawyers Permethrine - cheaper than going to doctor for ticks, less itchy than red bugs
2) storage master vacuum shrink storage bags, 17.99 Am$&@“. Certainly saves space with clothes, don’t have to use a vacuum cleaner can press these down.
3) HME rubber twist tie - 25’ 4.95 Am$&@“ so many uses - cut it to length - great for lots of uses -
4) rubber bands that mailman puts on mail
5) thicker black rubber bands in assorted sizes for turkey calls
6) Fox River wicking socks Am$&@“ my feet sweat then get cold in just merino socks or alpaca socks
7) nitecore red filter cap flashlight or buy some red film cut it to size and rubber band it- 9.95. They have a flip up for 17.95
8) vacuum sealer at Costco - get home cube all your meat except the roasts, it makes the meat a lot softer and less chewy for others, vacuum seal it to save the meat - you’ve already cubed it, it’s ready to go- you’ve spent hundreds or thousands on a hunt, better save that meat! I use vacuum bags from TEMU,
9) Use your dehydrator that you make jerky with to dehydrate and make your own MREs.
10). Swiss tech key ring multi tool - they were 7.95, they’ve gone up. I have them on all my coolers, hard to put a multi tool in a swimsuit, and in my hunting and go backs. No, it isn’t huge, but it have been useful from the beach to anywhere else I’ve ventured.
11) derwent xl charcoal for face - those that get up close - it wipes off easy with unscented baby wipes
12) small gun cleaning kit and en to fit yours and buddies guns - yeah I know the electrical tape - a small snake guide, tips for whatever guns, patches, a small bottle of solvent, and a cloth already squirted down with your favorite gun cleaner in a quart zip lock baggy takes up very little space -
13) to keep sling from slipping - add a few dabs of silicone gel, ie shoe goo type stuff to underside of sling. It last me most of a hunting season, Nov. through Feb.

I’ll comment on a few that’s been mentioned
A) the coffe can, alcohol, tp is used a lot to heat deer blinds in the South, it hits the twenties and these things come out.
B) the Costco pants I can’t stand because of the small front pockets. I carry a metal front pocket wallet, pocket knife, keys and a phone in my front pockets, it is difficult with these pants.
C) unscented baby wipes in zip lock baggies and blue paper towels - I’m not cutting up my clothes, I’ll use bunches of leaves. I’ve done it before.
D) ordered wranglers. We will see.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone found a cheap/budget ball head for shooting? I know that RRS Anvil, etc are great (expensive) options but I'm setting up a tripod for my son and I don't want to spend a lot.
Leofoto made a direct knockoff of anvil for about half price that worked just like the anvil. Can still find them on ebay

Anyoo poncho, $15. Fast to put on and big enough to cover my pack without having to take it off. Doubles as a tarp, ground cover, and rain fly. I've also used it as a drop-cloth when field dressing, and whatever it's made of cleans up really easily even weeks later.

River Country Trekker Tent 2. $65 for a 2lb-12oz 2-man tent with a full bathtub floor. Loved it so much I bought a second one just in case:

Redcamp 96L Duffle. This thing is HUGE, honestly almost too big. It's not super sturdy but that's OK, I didn't get it to use in the field. I keep all my hunt clothes and gear in three of these, and they have a camo color option so I can tell them apart. Not bad for $19.

V-yoke style rifle rest with 1/4-20 mount. $12, a steal in my book, especially when dedicated "shooting sticks" can be $100 (or three times that). I mounted this to the top of a Costco carbon-fiber trekking pole and have a triple use, lightweight item for like $50.

Gerber Dime. $25 but on sale they're sometimes as low as $17. Cheaper than any other multi-tool, has my critical stuff (tweezers, nail file, bottle opener, box opener, backup blade, etc) in a tiny form factor that easily rides in a pant pocket:

Found on page 59. Almost caught up to page 75. I have the Gerber dime and I carry it every day. It's crazy how often I use it and it's so small, it almost disappears in your pocket.

Have seen them mentioned in here a few times, but I am totally bummed that Wrangler quit making the camo outdoor series pants. I constantly keep my eyes out for them on resale sites..... which leads me to another cheap thing that works, used gear!

After 75 pages of awesomeness, figure I'd at least throw something out there that I didn't see. Cheap or not, these items are invaluable to me when putting miles on the body in the elements:

and this:

Also, if you want to get wasted. Drink every time you see the word Wrangler in this thread.

Last edited:
Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

Mora 711 Carbon Steel 4 Inch

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just got my hands on a Mora 711 for under $15! Great knife for the price and the handle feels solid. Thanks for starting the thread.

BLJ

WKR
Just got my hands on a Mora 711 for under $15! Great knife for the price and the handle feels solid. Thanks for starting the thread.
Have a link?? Amazon has been out of the carbon blade models every time I’ve looked for a while. Thanks