Cheap Stuff that Works

BH2010

FNG
Knorr pasta meals. Add a bit of powdered milk and you have a poor man's mountain house for 1/3 of the price.
Are you repacking them in freezer bags? And I bet adding a packet of RTE chicken would be awesome in those as well.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Costco Kirkland Merino socks. My go to sheep hunting sock. Have yet to have a mark on my feet with these and the Hanwags

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
Tub o towels. A buddy turned me on to these. They will clean off blood, oil, crayon on the wall, you name it. I carry the travel size in my pack. They are amazin.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea what they weigh? All the other brands seem a good bit heavier than skinners, but I have a hard time paying 70$ for grippy socks
14.1 for the pair, last year I used a different pair off Amazon those are 7.4 oz. I have sissy feet so I like the thicker sole but the lighter ones worked well also. I don't remember the brand of those but here's a photo there's a lot like them

Attachments

• 1693596203991734318322550317013.jpg
    1693596203991734318322550317013.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 215

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Tub o towels. A buddy turned me on to these. They will clean off blood, oil, crayon on the wall, you name it. I carry the travel size in my pack. They are amazin.
I just got a huge jug of these and they worked GREAT on my boat the last few days. I got them on Amazon and they weren't very expensive.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
We got a bunch of Pink and Coho salmon the last few days and these things cleaned blood like nothing I've ever used. The pinks go absolutely nuts when you get them in the boat and there is blood everywhere.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a Bahco Laplander folding saw in my kill kit now. Works great for cutting a meat hanging pole and also cutting the hooves off elk quarters (we keep the quarters bone in for packing).

Nice little saw and less than $30.

Trebr

FNG
I carry a Bahco Laplander folding saw in my kill kit now. Works great for cutting a meat hanging pole and also cutting the hooves off elk quarters (we keep the quarters bone in for packing).

Nice little saw and less than $30.
That's a great idea, those are pretty tough too.

Handy2465

FNG
Favorite thread ever.

My $0.02- some might not call it cheap at $150 or whatever they cost now, but my Rustic Ridge Elk Hunter -35F sleeping bag from SW is one of the most important pieces of gear I have.

It’s big and bulky and weighs a ton. If you’re camping by the truck or with some pack horses for me it’s a no-brainer.

I do about 20 nights a year in mine between October and May in all temps. Too hot for the rest of the year.Lowest I’ve done is 20 below on an ice fishing trip. Literally sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag as comfortable as can be at 0F for the cost of a hotel room.

Unless it’s going to rain or snow I don’t bother with a tent.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Favorite thread ever.

My $0.02- some might not call it cheap at $150 or whatever they cost now, but my Rustic Ridge Elk Hunter -35F sleeping bag from SW is one of the most important pieces of gear I have.

It’s big and bulky and weighs a ton. If you’re camping by the truck or with some pack horses for me it’s a no-brainer.

I do about 20 nights a year in mine between October and May in all temps. Too hot for the rest of the year.Lowest I’ve done is 20 below on an ice fishing trip. Literally sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag as comfortable as can be at 0F for the cost of a hotel room.

Looks like those are on sale right now

intunegp

WKR
Favorite thread ever.

Can confirm these are some of the warmest sleeping bags out there. I've been in mine below zero and had to take off my long johns and socks or I woke up sweating. If there is going to be any heat source in the tent at bed time I opt for a lighter bag.

brhillman

FNG
Great thread. Some of my favorite cheap things that work:

Savotta roll top bag (I use an 80L as a main pack bag on a Kifaru frame with a few mods)

Photon micro II light (makes a great backpacking tent lantern and can just replace a zipper pull)

Surplus Molle II canteen covers (easier access water than pack pockets)

Aquamira drops

Chopper mitts

Rag wool gloves

The little BRS3000t canister stove that’s been mentioned here a bunch

#4 scalpel handle instead of folding replaceable blade knife