Cheap Stuff that Works

Gapmaster

WKR
Do they handle water well?
I have about 8 of these Energizer head lamps. (Same kind we get at work) I honestly have one that’s about 15 years old. The button cover is gone and you can actually see the circuit board in it. Still works! For the $ they are a homerun. I’ve worn them in light rain with no issues, I’m sure they’re not 100% water proof.

Last edited:

JoeDirt

WKR
For a lightweight packable rain jacket the $19.99 Costco works great.

My sons been wearing it as a backup for a few seasons now and its still good!!!

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've read through this entire thread and will definitely be bookmarking and coming back to it, but I can't believe no one has mentioned baby wipes yet. I get a travel/purse size pack that has 20-25 for a dollar at several grocery stores (usually in the check out line). The bag is resealable and I've had them last from year to year on my bag. They work great for the obvious uses but also take blood off hands and knives well and are a God sent if you end up with a case of monkey butt after too many days of Mountain House on the trail.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
I've read through this entire thread and will definitely be bookmarking and coming back to it, but I can't believe no one has mentioned baby wipes yet. I get a travel/purse size pack that has 20-25 for a dollar at several grocery stores (usually in the check out line). The bag is resealable and I've had them last from year to year on my bag. They work great for the obvious uses but also take blood off hands and knives well and are a God sent if you end up with a case of monkey butt after too many days of Mountain House on the trail.
Heck yes. I kneel at the altar of baby wipes. There's a pack in my vehicle and bag 365 days a year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
They are not always in stock for shipping but I have found them at Walmart and Target under different names.
This is what I found at Walmart, Target, and Wrangler web sites as of today. The Wrangler web site currently has the most sizes available. Just make sure you look at the material, as they make a cotton version and you want to get the nylon/spandex.

ive used these but really prefer the UB tech pants. Almost same price, seem to ware better.

okiehunts

FNG
Wuudi cook set and Etekcity stove, both from Amazon. About 30 bucks total. Cook set does what it's supposed to, easy to clean up, handles stay cool enough to grab bare handed. Stove fires up quickly and burns evenly. I did tweak the feet a little so the pot sits flat and not wobble. Stove and fuel nests inside the set. Not for the ultra light crowd, however.

I have that same stove and can confirm it is legit!

Ziploc with 4 or 5 in the bottom of my bino harness 24/7. A must have.

TheGDog

WKR
Also, here's a cheap chair my buddy uses that's a little heavier but way cheaper than the helinox:

MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair with Anti-Sinking Wide Feet, Portable Compact for Outdoor Camp, Beach, Travel, Picnic, Hiking, Lightweight Backpacking (Dark Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZMJG7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HbkuEb6SKX8MS

It works just as well at a fraction the cost if you're not bothered by the extra ounces.
REI now makes a knockoff of the Helinox... but upsized for those of us with larger assets! It's Crazy comfortable for long sits on your stand! Not cheap, but cannot recommend it enough for long ambush sits in concealment gear.

TheGDog

WKR
Ear plugs -- critical item when you have a hunting partner like mine that snores like a freight train and won't wake for sh*t, even when you scream at the dude repeatedly to "roll on your f-ing side, you pos!"

Flents Ear Plug (10 Pair with Case), Quiet Contour Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Snoring, Loud Noise, Concerts, Construction, Studying & Traveling, NRR 33, Made in the USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CZYJLA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7-ezEbVRG3SHB

That'd be me. Have him wear a Breathe Right Extra-Wide strip when he sleeps. Helps a lot. And you sleep better.

TheGDog

WKR
NEBO Torchy - USB Rechargeable Flashlight. Nice and small. The were smart and put the clip the right way too so you can use it as a headlamp on your cap visor too! Crazy bright! $30

I bring this as the backup to my headlamp.

And it's not to big and heavy that you can't just hold it in your mouth if you need to briefly, either.

If you need a battery backup for your cellphone they also have this other model that's a battery-pack and a flashlight and has a knife on it too! But that one weighs more since it's a 2200 mAh battery pack.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Any reason why?
Barely used mine at all, and the push-button switch on it, or maybe it's internal battery connection?, just up and failed. I'd used it maybe twice. Other than that? It just rode along in the pack. I like the idea and concept that it had a solar panel and had a USB port for possibly being able to charge a cellphone back up. But anything with that poor of a Quality/Reliability is a big nogo for me.