cheap spotting scopes user reviews

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a cheap -just to get me by until I can afford a real scope. Anyone out there used or can reccommend a spotting scope setup that is under $400? thanks for helping out, any input appreciated.

OP
iriebra

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks cornfed. Gr8ful - backcountry hiking in for glassing deer/ elk/ ...?

Check out my Athlon Ares review with the search feature. I’ve tried many of the budget options and there is no comparison. You’d need a big jump in price to get better performance than the Athlon which is also very small and packable. The Ares is very well reviewed.

I’m a particular guy and I think I may hold onto the Athlon for a number of years. You use the thing to find elk almost five miles away or judge bulls miles away or find some really hidden animal and then wonder if alpha glass would help you find any more animals. Probably very few.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Vanguard Endeavor 65a is pretty decent for the money,

I agree. While there are 'hunting specific brands' in the same price range, pound for pound looking at specs, this is a great scope and was highly rated on Rokslide when compared to much more expensive models. The quality of glass is paramount, and quality glass is heavy, that just physics. I'm happy with mine.

Note the absence of BaK4 glass in more budget models, coatings don't make up for cheap glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanguard Endeavor 65a is pretty decent for the money, but if you could save up another $100, you can get the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 and its a great scope for that price. Give Doug at cameraland a call and he'll hook you up.

For every good Vanguard review I read there’s another that’s negative. Not so with Athlon and Kowa.

OP
iriebra

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Allright, so Blackpowder and Dd, what do you consider good and at what price point for binos. Some background, im new at this and spent budget on kifaru pack, LBO shelter/ stove, clothes, new bow, and all the other nick nacks that I deemed essential for lightweight solo backcountry - but, I want to be able to go outside and play with the other kids...so, just looking to get by for now. Thanks to all for the feedback, luvin me some Rok.

Blue72

WKR
Allright, so Blackpowder and Dd, what do you consider good and at what price point for binos. Some background, im new at this and spent budget on kifaru pack, LBO shelter/ stove, clothes, new bow, and all the other nick nacks that I deemed essential for lightweight solo backcountry - but, I want to be able to go outside and play with the other kids...so, just looking to get by for now. Thanks to all for the feedback, luvin me some Rok.

No tripod, I would get 7x-10x binoculars, with tripod 15/16x binoculars...but keep in mind that tripods on 10x can extend the distance you can see by eliminating body movement

With binoculars you can glass longer (less eyestrain), get a brighter image, and have a much wider field of view compared to a spotter

I’m sure gr8fuldoug @ cameraland could set you up with something in your budget

Last edited:

What are you running for binos now?

Rich M

WKR
Same here - get better binoculars before you throw $400 into a "cheap" spotter to upgrade later. Don't do that.

Good binoculars are what 90 % of hunters use 90 %of the time.
Spotting scopes are sweet though if you're trophy hunting.