Cheap groundhog gun

Any recommendations for a cheap rifle I can throw in the truck an leave for groundhogs? They are eating us outta house an home on beans this year. All me deer rifles have sentimental value and I don’t want them beating around in the work truck days on end. Is savage axis the go to on low end rifles? Or a better cheap option? Thanks in advance for advice.

Axis,marlin,ruger american, walmart 700adl if they still do that..

Or start looking for a beater at the pawn/gun shops. Never know what you will find

OP
F
Thanks for advice, great idea on pawn shops hadn’t thought of that. Want to be in 223 cal since I don’t wanna have to get close an have lots of ammo already

Or go find a couple old farts at the local diner (you know which one) that have nothing better to do than shoot shit..

Marble

WKR
I got the ruger american ranch gun in .223. It's more than you need, but it does better at a little distance and has more pop for coyotes and such. I think I paid 450ish for mine a few years ago.

I like .22 and .22mags, but use those only for squirl type stuff at closer ranges.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I use a lower end Remington 700, an SPS I think. 223 works very well, puts them down without a lot of carnage. Was hitting them with 22lr butt hey are tough critters. Hit a few with a 308 and it was a mess.

some guys hit them from very long distances with high dollar rigs. I prefer shorter distances as I am simply trying to eliminate them.

savage axis would be my pick for something cheap. However, I thought this would be a dedicated HP groundhog rig and I have enjoyed shooting it more than I thought. I would jump it up to a tikka if I was buying again As I have used the 223 as a trainer / plinker and to teach a few folks rifle hunting due to low recoil.

Ruger american 223 or ruger american rimfire 22 is best bang for buck IMO

I tried the idea of a cheap beater rifle a few times years ago.. ended up selling it every one.

For a bit more you can get a setup that will out last and out shoot you, and take more abuse than any other combo... hate to be a squeaky wheel but:

Tikka T3x lite 223
UM tikka rings
Swfa 6mq

Or

Tikka t1x 22
Sportmatch to35c
Swfa 6mq

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Have both a Savage 93R17 17HMR and a Savage 110 chambered in .223. Both are excellent shooters. If I had to pick one for the OP`s stated purpose, I`d go with .the .223. More flexibility when it comes to shooting distances, performance in wind, etc.

The most prevalent " traditional " styled hunting rifle at our local state shooting range is the Axis, more specifically the Axis II. The ones I`ve seen shoot appear very accurate and the guys that are shooting them seem to like them.

I have an old Marlin 25MN 22 mag with an equally old usa made weaver 6x. Had it since I was a kid. So probably 40 years. Has killed a ton of whistle pigs, aka groundhogs and other vermin. I have way better guns but it keeps putting them down. Find something like this at a lawn shop for $150 for the whole setup and work within its limitations is my recommendation. You will shoot a ton of stuff as you will have it with you when you need it.

A few dozen 220 conibears and be done with it. Shooting them is too time consuming to get good results.

Find the holes and stake the 220 right over it. Come back daily to remove the 'chucks and reset. Daily checks are the key. Nothing nastier than a bloated woodchuck covered in maggots.