Fly fishing

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 4 piece 2wt that I like for hiking with. lightweight and plenty of rod for most of the lakes or small streams I hike to.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just be careful getting started in fly fishing. It’s a rabbit hole… this just the gear I took on a saltwater trip earlier this year. There’s 9 fly rods in this photo and there are just as many rods that I left behind.

View attachment 728476
No kidding. I’m sitting here in Mexico about to fish ascension bay tomorrow. I brought 4 rods down here.

Just be careful getting started in fly fishing. It’s a rabbit hole… this just the gear I took on a saltwater trip earlier this year. There’s 9 fly rods in this photo and there are just as many rods that I left behind.

I have to ask ... why would you bring nine rods?

I could see an 8, 10, 12wt and maybe a back up of each, but what are the other three for?

Fitzwho

WKR
Went 7/9/12 and brought 3 each. Never took any of the backups out of their socks and it was too windy most days to mess with the 7wt.

Mainly because I spent 4 years acquiring equipment and overthinking every little thing when I finally got to go on this trip. Also knew there were some “first timers” coming on the trip so figured there would be some broken rods, etc.

13 guys total at the lodge and I believe there was one broken rod and a couple fried reels. I threw a 9wt probably 80% of the time.

Kind of you to consider others.

I stopped bringing extra rods and gear years ago. Makes me pay attention to my stuff and not lose or break anything.

mntnguide

WKR
From freshwater to saltwater, I have a total of 6 rods...and have landed everything from Marlin and Mahi, to high country brookies. . You dont need a ton of stuff to get into it. I have fly fished my whole life, I have what works, and none of it is top of the line high dollar stuff. Nothing against those that do, just saying to the OP, you can enjoy the hell out of fly fishing without breaking the bank from the high country lakes to the deep blue.

Just got back from a pack trip into one of the most remote areas of the lower 48 and hammered 22-26" yellowstone cutties all day long on a Redington 5wt and enjoyed every second of it

SROB34

FNG
Echo Traverse fly combo best bang for your buck these days. Can't go wrong with that brand. The combo kit will have everything you need from a rigging standpoint.

Basic flies will do the trick - wooly buggers stripped in, flying ants, hoppers.

For equipment - nail clippers on a piece of paracord as neck lanyard, as well as forceps. Floatant is helpful as you're learning to make good casts and keep your fly on top of the water when fishing dry flies.

Start with a 7.5' leader and add some additional tippet to give you some extra length. Pickier fish you might want to make that a couple feet longer.

Hope that helps!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Went 7/9/12 and brought 3 each. Never took any of the backups out of their socks and it was too windy most days to mess with the 7wt.

Mainly because I spent 4 years acquiring equipment and overthinking every little thing when I finally got to go on this trip. Also knew there were some “first timers” coming on the trip so figured there would be some broken rods, etc.

13 guys total at the lodge and I believe there was one broken rod and a couple fried reels. I threw a 9wt probably 80% of the time.
Did you use your 7 weight for bonefish? I was using a sage maverick 8wt with a nautilus reel for bones today. I got 8 of them I think. Some just out cruising by themselves, some in schools.

I am in a minority here but I have a pile of rods and almost always take my echo carbon xl 10’ 3 wt. for the type of fishing you are talking about. I find the extra rod helps me keep my backcast high and it roll casts very well. With a 10’ rod a slightly oversized large arbor reel balances well and lets you pick up line in a hurry. The 3wt makes fighting small fish a lot of fun granted it does not buck the wind as well as a 5wt.
My echo shadow 2 10’ 3wt is always the first rod I grab. Lately been using an echo trout 9’6” 6wt for run off heavy nymph rigs and streamers. Love both rods

TaperPin

WKR
If you ask around it’s not too hard to find a teenager addicted to fly fishing that would love to tie flies for someone. Don’t be a tight ass and pay full price - it’s for a good cause.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some how I didn't notice I had more messages in this until just now. I'm hoping of swinging into a fly shop this weekend and take a look at rods and such, also will probably see if I can find something used.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
palehorse204