Chase points or hunt?

wapitibob

WKR
I’d rather have points and not need them provided I was hunting when I wanted to. If you’re skipping a year, buy points. When Wyoming goes to a 90/10 split you’ll wish you had more than you do.

FLAK

WKR
Hunt for sure. And to clarify on an earlier post about not doing points: I dont accumulate points. I would only apply for point hunts if they could be used in a couple years, no more than 3. But I dont accumulate points hoping for some magical hunt in 20 years.
And, as of right now I have ZERO points for anything.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Hunt for sure. And to clarify on an earlier post about not doing points: I dont accumulate points. I would only apply for point hunts if they could be used in a couple years, no more than 3. But I dont accumulate points hoping for some magical hunt in 20 years.
And, as of right now I have ZERO points for anything.
Makes sense, I don’t see me building points for a long time. I live in Md and can only come west once a year. My plan is to buy Montana combo points, Wyoming elk, deer, pronghorn ,and Colorado mule deer and elk. I can use the points for a hunt every year and the harder ones to draw can be used in a few years. Kees me drawing tags but not banking them for an eternity.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt. I have 8-10 points in a few states for elk/Pronghorn/Sheep/Goat/Moose. Mule Deer points I use yearly, most of the time. Given how bad point creep is these days, I feel like I may never catch up for Sheep/Goat/Moose. At this point, I figure if I am ever gonna hunt sheep/Goats/Moose, I will likely have to save up and do it on a guided deal. Point being, I am pot committed and I am really feeling like it was all a huge waste of time/money, sans the MD/Elk points. So, my advice would be to only gather points for species you CAN likely hunt. The rest is a stupid tax for people like me.

bpurtz

WKR
This page might help with your decision: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_EDA.pdf

* Wyoming allocates 20% of the tags to NR hunters.
* There are 60,000 NR hunters that have more points than you.
* According to Toprut.com, the top 10 pronghorn hunts in WY will take 10-Max points to draw.
* Approximately 220 NR tags are available in those top 10 hunts.
* There are 4278 hunters with 10+ PP.
* Unit 60 has 8 tags available and takes 14+ points to draw with PP.
* There are 551 hunters with 14 PP.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I have two points and am going to Wyoming in 2021. I know "nobody' ever draws in New mexico but i'm going to put in there also. Just go hunt. I'll be turning 65 and punching out for the last time on August 25th 2021. I'm in for any advice also. thanks

OP
Mdfowlman2
I have two points and am going to Wyoming in 2021. I know "nobody' ever draws in New mexico but i'm going to put in there also. Just go hunt. I'll be turning 65 and punching out for the last time on August 25th 2021. I'm in for any advice also. thanks
I’d consider a landowner tag. they’re pricey but if you can swing it, it’s worth guaranteeing your tag while your still in good enough shape to do it. They’re about $6k for a killer unit

Laramie

WKR
No "right" answer imo because the game keeps changing. A decent hunt with HMA access can be had for 2 points in some areas of Wyoming. Those same hunts took only 1 point 2 years ago. Everything is getting more difficult so it's very hard to plan long term strategies. I have a lot of fun hunting doe antelope so I hunt does as often as I can draw, almost yearly, while saving points for areas with good amount of public land.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just pick a place and hunt. I think It was Robby's book that said that a hunter with 5 years of experience in a bad unit will almost always outperform the guy going in for the first time in a great unit. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed and the states will continuously keep changing the programs. Enjoy your time with your dad.

Laramie

WKR
A lot of the information being posted is more relevant to elk and mule deer. I don't think guys realized that this is in the antelope thread. Any rookie who can shoot 0-300 yards can have a great hunt as long as you have a decent amount of public access.

zacattack

WKR
So my dad and I have 1 point each, We don’t plan on putting in this year but we aren’t certain yet. We will likely wait atleast until 2022 and go in with 2 points. Where seems to be the sweet spot for point?’ Where are you getting the most for your points? I know some units are 10-15 points, are they worth the 10-15 year wait or does hunting 4-5 times in that same timeframe make up for the lesser quality?
I went on my first antelope hunt last year in Wyoming. So while I don’t have the experience some of these guys do I kinda had the same mindset you do. I was going to start saving points and in 10 years or so go on some awesome trophy antelope hunt. So, I drew two doe tags, and I’ll be honest, I totally changed my plan once I saw some antelope in person and realized that saving points for double digit years is totally not worth it for a buck antelope. I mean I guess if you get all jazzed up for them then maybe. I’ll be going as often as possible with less points or no points.
My dad had passed away earlier in the year, and I’d have given anything to take him with me. My two cents are go with your dad as often as possible and have a blast no matter if it’s a 1 point draw or 15.

Hunt as much as you can. Especially antelope, they are delicious and at least from my experience not hard to kill if you’re just looking for a decent buck. You want an 80” antelope you’re probably gonna wait a few years.

Our strategy has been build points in 3 states for a few different species and hunt every year, even if it’s a lower quality unit. We’d rather be out hunting than wait years for a tag.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I’d consider a landowner tag. they’re pricey but if you can swing it, it’s worth guaranteeing your tag while your still in good enough shape to do it. They’re about $6k for a killer unit
$6k for a landowner antelope tag? I ain't swinging that. I'm not a trophy hunter, and would like to get some doe tags also. Never hunted Wyoming so I want to go at my own speed. So i would be looking into units that offer that.

Last edited:

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I went on my first antelope hunt last year in Wyoming. So while I don’t have the experience some of these guys do I kinda had the same mindset you do. I was going to start saving points and in 10 years or so go on some awesome trophy antelope hunt. So, I drew two doe tags, and I’ll be honest, I totally changed my plan once I saw some antelope in person and realized that saving points for double digit years is totally not worth it for a buck antelope. I mean I guess if you get all jazzed up for them then maybe. I’ll be going as often as possible with less points or no points.
My dad had passed away earlier in the year, and I’d have given anything to take him with me. My two cents are go with your dad as often as possible and have a blast no matter if it’s a 1 point draw or 15.
Sorry to hear about your dad. Now that my son is grown up, married and fixing to be a dad, those times we get out to the mountains are even more special. A lot will be going on come September so I may be venturing out by myself. Best of luck to you.

sguida

FNG
Agree with Clancy, hunt often. My goal is an antelope hunt with family or friends every year. Heck, the last day of shooting rabbits or prairie dogs is worth the trip. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for any of us. Every unit has something to offer that may just take a little boot leather or experience to figure out. We've had great hunts in "low quality" units with just a bit of effort and planning.

Biggie

FNG
Last year was my first trip to WY on a one point unit. If you scout a day and get in on a herd at first light opening day its a cakewalk. We took two bucks and a doe in the first 15 min. Filled our sixth and final tag at last light day two. By the second day they are a completely different animal. We had 30+ groups marked on public from a day and a half of scouting and could find 6 of them on day two. Frustrating amounts of people at times. I shot my buck on a 500ac piece of state land that had 7 other people on it. Including a guy that came and sat 100yds away from me on the fenceline. Day two was a drag and I really felt for my buddy who still had a buck tag. He said we're never doing a 1pt unit again but a couple months later and we're already talking about the next trip. We've decided to build points in SD and MT while hunting WY as often as possible on 1-2pt units. That being said the quality of an SD hunt that takes several years to draw is about the same or worse than any easy draw unit in WY.