Charter fishing - tip

Been going back and forth on what to tip for a charter fishing trip.
Solo captain/owner, small vessel, no crew, 1/2 day, just the 2 of us.
On one hand - his price is built in.
On the other - with no crew, he's doing double duty.
If he cleans the fish - he went above and beyond.
What say the rokslide community?

@Dewy all over it i think. Even if you dont catch fish or alot of fish if the Capt. is putting some serious effort into trying to find fish ill still tip good. not his fault they aint biting.
On the other hand if its slow and he's doing nothing to change things up hes gonna get a smaller tip.

As a former fishing guide I would average about $200 a day. This was a large operation and I would have the same guests for 4 days. $100 for 1/2 day is fair. Base the tip on overall experience and effort by guide not necessarily the amount of fish caught. Working with 30 other guides it was well known that big fish/quantity didn’t mean more money.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I just did a trip out of Port Washington about 2 months ago. Was me, my dad, his neighbor and kid. Guide did an awesome job and really exceeded what we truly expected. we tipped him $100 and about 6 beers lol. He wasn't the captain/owner though so it was a little different situation. I am kind of more leaning toward Thinhorn's point of no tip, or a small tip.

gbflyer

WKR
I owned my own boat and never expected gratuity. Most of my customers were aware. I never felt bad about accepting a tip from a walk-on, I tried to get my regulars to keep it in their pockets. Some would, others insisted.

JPC6000

FNG
Really, depends on the experience for me. 0-15%, if I think he went above and beyond then 15%, If I feel ripped off then 0.

Weldor

WKR
Just read a woods and water article on the same subject. This author thinks 20% is fair. I think he's out of his mind. It is a business out to make money, not a charity. I tip on all my hunts, some more than others. Never based on what percent of the trip. If I'm paying $20 grand to hunt a $4000 tip seems excessive to me. Ok, now you can beat me up. I figure a one on one just say for Deer, $100 bucks a day is fair in my mind.

TaperPin

WKR
A $20 bill each day is great for anyone in the skilled service industries - “Here, I just wanted to buy you lunch.” For seasonal jobs or situations where more of their income is compressed into a shorter amount of time, $50 or $100 a day may be equally appropriate. Pay less if that’s your budget - I’ve paid less than someone deserved and simply said, “You deserve more, but times are tight for us right now.” They understand and appreciate the kind words.

When it’s a business and the hired help is doing all the work, I’ll tip them and not the owner. Too many jackasses get credit for the guys making things happen.

I’ve spent a career catering to the wealthy and must have a soft spot for jerks that don’t appreciate a hard earned skill that they will never have, even if my time was given away for free. Even those that only tipped $20 at the end of the week were nice folks, every one of them - it was a nice gesture. 20 years from now you can be remembered by everyone in your lifetime that works for you as a nice person or an entitled one. Lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just read a woods and water article on the same subject. This author thinks 20% is fair. I think he's out of his mind. It is a business out to make money, not a charity. I tip on all my hunts, some more than others. Never based on what percent of the trip. If I'm paying $20 grand to hunt a $4000 tip seems excessive to me. Ok, now you can beat me up. I figure a one on one just say for Deer, $100 bucks a day is fair in my mind.
Im with you. I personally think the tip should be included in the price if they expect customers to pay their employees salaries. Im also sick of being guilted into feeling bad for low salary workers, that isn't really anybodies fault but their own.

Personal choice. The guides wages are figured into the trip price. Operating expense is figured into the trip price.

You pay for the trip, not the outcome (fish caught or tag filled).

Yoder

WKR
I would tip a guy that's the owner/captain way less than a deck hand. It's his business, what does he need a tip for? Here's a tip, charge more money.

SDHNTR

WKR
If he works hard, 10-20%, just like anything else. And this is coming from a guy who spent his formative years working on sportfishing charter boats. If you can’t afford the tip, you can’t afford the trip.