Charles Daly

Long Cut

WKR
I’m looking at buying a Charles Daly 101 for a run & gun turkey shotgun. Showing sub 4.5# and overall length at 37” seems great to me.

I’ve never heard of Charles Daly shotguns- Are they decent?
Would a Stevens 301T be a better investment than a Charles Daly 101 ?

I currently own a Stevens 301T in 20g but am wanting a 410 shotgun too. I’m unsure if I should buy another Stevens in 410, a Rossi or the Charles Daly.

Charles Daly come factory cerakoted, the Stevens & Rossi do not.

CorbLand

WKR
Stevens 301.

A bunch of guys I know, including me bought one. None of us have had issues with them in the last 4 or so years of owning them. Sweet guns.

I don’t turkey hunt but pack mine for a light weight grouse gun.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Steven single for certain. The CD has generally not performed well.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Are Charles Daly guns still made by Miroku? If so, that’d be my choice.
At one point in time, probably (back in the 80s). The Charles Daly name has changed hands a bit, and I believe (unless it's been sold recently) CD guns are manufactured in turkey.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Pretty much all cheap shotguns are made in Turkey
Correct, however not all Turkish made guns are cheap or of poor quality. For instance Akus makes quality guns for Dickinson. Huglu has come a long way and is making good shotguns, Yildiz are decent too. I think the Tristar andcStevens guns are a good too, although there are lemons out there.

The Turkish shotguns have come a long way since the early 2000s

KenLee

WKR
Correct, however not all Turkish made guns are cheap or of poor quality. For instance Akus makes quality guns for Dickinson. Huglu has come a long way and is making good shotguns, Yildiz are decent too. I think the Tristar andcStevens guns are a good too, although there are lemons out there.

The Turkish shotguns have come a long way since the early 2000s
Agreed. I keep Dickinson semi-autos in my truck and Suburban during our 3 month deer season in case I need it when tracking for kids. They work and I won't cry long if one gets stolen.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Charles Daly 101 20ga for a run and gun turkey setup. Its definitely a cheaply made shotgun but I haven't had any issues with my 3 shots per year. Its a lot nicer to carry then my Beretta and I won't care when I eventually crash my bike with my shotgun on it. I spray painted it, put on a vortex red dot, sling, flip flop recoil pad and choke for TSS.1000003210.jpg

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Well I ended up impulse bidding (and winning) a 12 gauge Charles Daly 101 on Gun Broker.

Figured for the price for a cerakoted, threaded and camo stock gun at $160 isn’t an awful price.

I wanted a .410 but they were all selling for $200+ so I saved about $60-80 but my shoulder on the other hand…. Probably won’t!

May sell it, trade it or keep as a dedicated “truck gun”…

Time will tell

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Well here we go!

12 gauge 3” chamber
Overall Length- 36 1/4” buttstock to end of gun barrel; or 37 3/4” buttstock to end of choke tube
Trigger Pull- Feels around 7# to me, but is getting better as I work it
All metal trigger, housing and swivel studs
Threaded barrel that Accepts Benelli-Mobil chokes
Total cost after tax, shipping & FFL fees… $217

Plastic Buttstock and Pic rail…

Have a Burris FF3 and Sumtoy .665 choke tube on the way. I will also be adding a rubber buttstock and searching for a metal pic rail.

Then it’s onto the pattern board. Stay tuned! IMG_0819.jpegIMG_0820.jpeg

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Limbsaver AirTech butt stock upgrade over the plastic factory butt stock.

Next step the barrel gets shipped off to be chopped, threaded, polished, forcing cone lengthened and a lower mount for my Burris FF3 to replace the plastic factory pictanny mount IMG_0991.jpegIMG_0993.jpegIMG_0990.jpeg

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I dig it, I went with a light weight flip flop on my 20ga but a limbsaver is a good idea that 12 will kick like a mule. Keep us updated with the rail id love to do the same with mine it is my biggest complaint with the shotgun.