Chargemaster drifting weights

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info above.

I have mine mounted on a solid bench and is sitting on dryer sheets. I also wipe the scale and area down with a dryer sheet prior to starting. I don't have flo lights or a cell / tablet running in the immediate area. I usually keep mine on or turn it on well before I start working. I zero and calibrate prior to every session.

I use a metal pan and under charge by .2 grain then trickle up with an omega. It slows the process but is known to increase charge weight accuracy.

I check it against a beam from time to time and never an issue. I rarely load more that 20-30 rounds per session so that may help with noticeable drift.

rayporter

WKR
some of this wont apply and some will sound silly, but take what you can use.

a bud sent back 3 CM units for drift. we were loading out side at a match and he asked if i had a cord so he could use his truck battery. i hooked him up so he could get off of 110v power but he still could not get the unit to work. his problem? he leaned his elbow on the table while he waited on the charge to dump. once he did no touch the table he was fine.

i load outside at matches and use a 12v battery just so i dont have cords to trip on.
i keep a 30gr check wt with the unit and simply turn it on and hit the zero and if it says 30gr i start loading. no calibration, no warm up. it always reads 30gr.

after loading and then shooting i will come back to reload and the shooting has dropped a few grains of powder in the pan. this is always a problem as you can watch the powder jump in the hopper when the next relay is shooting. this does make it hard to load as kernels fall out right when your charge is ready.

after sitting down i dump the pan and hit zero again and load. if i bother to put on the check wt it will say 30gr. this routine of hitting zero and loading goes on for 10 relays during a match. numerous shooters use a CM matches.

it is not a problem to zero every dozen rounds.

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
I came across a scrap of 1" thick marble and have mine sitting on that now and it seemed to help
I noticed quite a few guys using a stone slab under their scales, but have never really heard what benefits they are trying to achieve. Is it just a stability thing, or are there any other inherent benefits to the stone?
Does anyone have any articles or videos on this?

Fire_9

WKR
I noticed quite a few guys using a stone slab under their scales, but have never really heard what benefits they are trying to achieve. Is it just a stability thing, or are there any other inherent benefits to the stone?
Basically more stability and less drifting. No articles or videos, just bro science...

Mag_7s

WKR
Basically more stability and less drifting. No articles or videos, just bro science...
I do see a few top tier F-class guys using them, hopefully not just bro science. I would like to get one if it does in fact actually help with drift.

Tod osier

WKR

It is not uncommon to see that in science labs. I've seen it more under microscopes that need vibration dampening, though. The key, I think, is to have a heavy block, but also have some shock absorbing feet on the slab.

I've posted this before, but I have a chargemaster and it works amazingly well compared to what you read. It is on a heavy (2 1/4 laminated plywood) bench in the basement, that is bolted to the foundation. It really behaves well, HOWEVER, if someone else is home when I'm throwing a lot of charges, their vibration is noticeable in terms of its overthrows (it performs fine, but there are just more overthrows). My 130 pound wife running up and down the stairs causes enough vibration to get it to misbehave (it could also be power fluctuation of turning things on and off). I can imagine that one might pull their hair out in a less stable environment.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
No static. Perfectly flat surface. Also very dense/stable. Of course its really only as stable as the bench its on

Unrelated to the marble question, I leave my CM on for days/weeks at a time. Only shut it off when I need the outlet for something else. I recal it before each session because it will drift some over those longer periods. Recal should probably be done every couple hours if its a long session.

Being warmed up, being as stable as possible, being away from static, and getting a precise voltage supply is what will give you the best results.

If you are needing to tare every throw, one of the above is not being done, or you have a bad unit

Mag_7s

WKR
I don't think it will help with drift, but speed. The speed of the balance (taring and weighing) is way faster on a stable base, so a decrease in vibration speeds it up.
Thanks Tod, this seems pretty logical. I wonder if a small neoprene mat under the slab will also aid in vibration dampening.

Mag_7s

WKR
All the commercial ones I've been around have rubber feet in the corners, just an FYI.
For the price point of $>400.00, I think I'll try my luck with trying to find a scrap piece of granite counter top at a flooring and tile comercial store.