Change in plans!

Ozz08

WKR
Looks like my first OTC archery elk hunt will have to wait. I called off my CO trip for the last week of archery on account of getting a great deal on an Alberta waterfowl hunt! Trips are too close together to swing them both. While I love hunting big game, ducks live deep in my soul. I'll still be in CO in sept. for my sister in laws wedding but only for 3 days instead of the planned 10.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Thanks bro. It may actually work out better this way. I've been battling a lower back disc tear and while it wont hamper my hunting it has change the intensity of my training. Plus next year I should draw my high country mule deer tag and by the time sept come I might have residency in CO so I will be able to pay resident fees for my OTC elk tag.

That would be a SUPER TOUGH choice for me as well. I'm a big waterfowler. And the love for it comes EVER so close to that of backcountry archery.

trkyslr

WKR
I'm a Cali boy and I would never ever consider ducks over elk,ever!!! Chit I dint even really like duck hunting... Maybe is they had spurs or horns I might be interested ;-)

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
This archery/big game hunting thing is just something to take up some time between duck seasons. Green headed mallards are always #1 for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
DUCKS!!! Really, you can duck hunt on your death bed! If you had elk hunted before this would not even be a choice:)

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Lol duck hunt on my death bed? The way I hunt here in ca half of you would run home to your mommies:D I dont hunt private clubs in cushy blinds. No quads or boats all on foot with waders on and 2-3 dozen decoys on my back plus other gear. I hunt all public land and refuges that are more competative than you could imagine. This Alberta hunt will be the exception. Hey like I said ducks will always be #1 for me. There is nothing better than mallards with feet down headed for my spread or watching my dog work a blind retrieve. This waterfowl stuff in in my blood. Always will be.

mtmiller

WKR
Oz, you have some good points. I hope this leads more deer and elk hunters to turn back their tags and head to the marsh. Good luck.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
Hey if it makes you guys feel better im still going on 2 backpack deer hunts in August and might still be heading to AZ for desert mule deer in jan. lol

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol duck hunt on my death bed? The way I hunt here in ca half of you would run home to your mommies:D I dont hunt private clubs in cushy blinds. No quads or boats all on foot with waders on and 2-3 dozen decoys on my back plus other gear. I hunt all public land and refuges that are more competative than you could imagine. This Alberta hunt will be the exception. Hey like I said ducks will always be #1 for me. There is nothing better than mallards with feet down headed for my spread or watching my dog work a blind retrieve. This waterfowl stuff in in my blood. Always will be.

I hear ya man. I have gone out the night before at 11:00 pm, Hiked into my duck spot, slept in my laydown blind near where I would set up the next morning just to be the first one out there. The guy that hiked in at 2 am was just pretty disappointed when I was already there haha!