Certainly worth a gander.....but don't delete it just because you don't believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get it. The Bible is full of flawed (some seriously!) men who God used to further His kingdom. I’m grateful He allows even me to be a part of that as well. I’m sorry if I upset you, that really was not my goal
I'm well aware of that, I've spent decades studying the Bible, what little history exists about the people in it. The times, cultures, etc. Languages, Bible translations, and the history of Christianity and its denominations.

I have great faith in the Bible and God who inspired imperfect men to write and preserve it.

But I have philosophical and theological issues with how most follow it. (I have no issue explaining it, but I don't feel an open forum is the venue.)

One of my chief issues is the "if you don't believe THIS the loving God will make you burn in hell for eternity" attitude of many. It's not appealing in any way, to anyone. It conveys a smugness and judgment that is not man's to have.

To assume that a belief in the Bible, or Christ lumps one into a monolith, or that a lack of belief is the other monolith is almost as maddening.

If you want to believe what you want, and to not have others criticize or deride it, you NEED to extend the same to others.

Remember Paul. "I have been all things to all men".

Hpark3r

FNG
There was a time not all that long ago when extreme violence and opression was THE hallmark of Christianity. In fact, that accounts for about 98% of the time christianity has been around.
The folks you are referring to truly missed the mark of what being a Christian is. Being a Christian (“little Christ”- originally a pejorative term for Christ’s followers), is to be like Him. He never taught nor exemplified atrocious behavior.
Please don’t lump us all in with those who really screw things up, I just want to love people enough to tell the truth about Jesus and the salvation He offers fallen humanity.

Hpark3r

FNG
One of my chief issues is the "if you don't believe THIS the loving God will make you burn in hell for eternity" attitude of many. It's not appealing in any way, to anyone. It conveys a smugness and judgment that is not man's to have.

To assume that a belief in the Bible, or Christ lumps one into a monolith, or that a lack of belief is the other monolith is almost as maddening.

If you want to believe what you want, and to not have others criticize or deride it, you NEED to extend the same to others.

Remember Paul. "I have been all things to all men".

Hpark3r

FNG
I think we are in agreement, just been talking past one another. You are correct- just because one worships differently, has a different eschatological understanding, etc. that doesn’t mean they’re going to hell, as some seem to imply.
As long as we agree on the gospel as outlined in 1 Cor 15:3-4, and understand that Jesus is the only way to heaven (John 14:6) we are preaching the true gospel message. 😁
Resistance to that ain’t beef with me, it’s with God.

I think we are in agreement, just been talking past one another. You are correct- just because one worships differently, has a different eschatological understanding, etc. that doesn’t mean they’re going to hell, as some seem to imply.
As long as we agree on the gospel as outlined in 1 Cor 15:3-4, and understand that Jesus is the only way to heaven (John 14:6) we are preaching the true gospel message. 😁
Resistance to that ain’t beef with me, it’s with God.
That's the thing.

They don't "seem to imply"

They flat out say it.

That's why I'm so adamant that I'm not one of them.

I've actually heard people say that everyone on this continent before Christianity got here is in hell. I am not like those people and I want that to be very clear.

There was a time not all that long ago when extreme violence and opression was THE hallmark of Christianity. In fact, that accounts for about 98% of the time christianity has been around.
We have all been granted free will to make our own decisions & we'll only be held accountable for those. My faith & personal relationship with Jesus has nothing whatsoever to do with the horrible & disgusting acts that someone else did in the past. They'll get theirs in due time (like the pedo priests & their enablers).

Don't let things like that affect your faith or what YOU believe in your heart. Choosing to accept his saving grace (or not) is the ultimate act of personal responsibility.

robtattoo

WKR
Being a Christian (“little Christ”- originally a pejorative term for Christ’s followers), is to be like Him. He never taught nor exemplified atrocious behavior

That's also synonymous with being a good *insert religion/belief system here...

I'm a card carrying atheist & that's how I try to live my life too. Not because of the promise of a reward at the the end of it, but because of the immediate reward of 'Hey! Doing good things makes me feel good & my life is better for it!'

Do I think Jesus was a God? (Or any form of relation to one) No. Not at all.
Do I think Jesus was an unusually decent & good dude? Absolutely yes.
Maybe a bit of a pinko-hippy, but a damn nice guy all the same.

Either way, he's a really good example to follow.

Morality doesn't need to come purely from religion or belief in anything other than itself.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

OP
Sapcut

Sapcut

WKR
That's the thing.

They don't "seem to imply"

They flat out say it.

That's why I'm so adamant that I'm not one of them.

I've actually heard people say that everyone on this continent before Christianity got here is in hell. I am not like those people and I want that to be very clear.
So what do you say about the place called Hell, separation from God? A place where some will go and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.