CCI primer alternatives

Longtime CCI user, but they are about impossible to find right now.

Anyone have any experience with these alternative brands relative to CCI200?

Unis Ginex
Winchester large rifle
Fiocchi large rifle

I have about 2k 200 on hand. I’m reluctant to wait for more to show up when using these for practice loads.

Thoughts?

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I've used Winchester, did not notice any difference but I only used about 100. Like you I like CCi and have stockpiled enough to get me through tough times. Have not been looking for primers for awhile but if not in major retailers I just go to Gunbroker. I know gun broker is generally higher in price but I have always been able to get what I need. I would rather be out shooting than searching for primers.

JFK

WKR
I have used cci and rem 9 1/2 LR primers. I always work back up when switching primers, but in my experience they work the same, and I end up with the same charge weights. Have heard that win primers are a little hotter than most.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
CCI 200 have been readily available online. Get on shootingbot.com and set up text alerts.
2/1 - Powder Valley had CCI200
1/31 - Precision Reloading & Target Sports
1/30 - Natchez
1/29 - Brownells
1/26 - Brownells & Natchez
1/24 - Precision & Target Sports
1/23 - Natchez
...etc...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The problem is that many places have a limit of 1 box on primers, and when you add in shipping and hazmat and tax........they can get a little ridiculous.

I like CCI's, but I also use Winchester (hotter) and Remington 9 1/2's. They all work fine.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
The problem is that many places have a limit of 1 box on primers, and when you add in shipping and hazmat and tax........they can get a little ridiculous.

I like CCI's, but I also use Winchester (hotter) and Remington 9 1/2's. They all work fine.
I don’t think it’s many, some do, but I’d say many you can get at least 5k, which is the minimum that I think makes it tolerable. Shipping and hazmat is tough. I think tax should be a wash if you are somewhere with sales tax. I know some guys who have a LGS circuit they do a couple times a week. I don’t have a spare half a day two times a week. If I have a good load, it’s worth spending an extra $50 to not have to drop $600 on 5k of a different primer and do a work up on the load again with a new primer. I know there is a chance they might work fine, but if they don’t, that’s no fun.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Fiocchi large rifle. Supposedly are a bit hotter than CCI 200s, but I haven’t noticed a huge difference. They are also slightly larger in diameter than other LR primers and seating them takes a bit more pressure.

Don't make it harder than it has to be. They will all make your rifle go "pop". Get a good quantity of any of those. Drop back a couple grains, work back up on your load and go shoot. Especially since they are practice loads, without sounding harsh, it doesn't matter what primer it is. Done.

sdupontjr

WKR
you better be jonny on the spot with shooting bot also, when you get the alert, you better immediately add to cart and buy or its gone. Sure the hazmat and shipping fees suck, but you'll have some. And as mentioned, get text alerts, I originally had email alerts and the text alerts is way faster than email alerts.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I tossed a mostly full box of win large rifle primers years back after I was getting gas cutting with them. They are a bit undersized from my reading. Will never use win rifle primers again.

OP
Jason Snyder
you better be jonny on the spot with shooting bot also, when you get the alert, you better immediately add to cart and buy or its gone. Sure the hazmat and shipping fees suck, but you'll have some. And as mentioned, get text alerts, I originally had email alerts and the text alerts is way faster than email alerts.
Yeah I missed some this morning.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tossed a mostly full box of win large rifle primers years back after I was getting gas cutting with them. They are a bit undersized from my reading. Will never use win rifle primers again.
They had a bad batch some time back with too thin of cup metal or something of that nature. I read they refunded folks and compensated where damages occurred.

I had a box of Remington large rifle primers have some hang fires in it. Sketchiest thing with a gun I’ve experienced. Happened multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primers are made by the millions, the issues here don't fall outside of the realm of probability. OP, get the first ones you can, they are for practice rounds as stated and save the 200's you have for when it matters, per se.

tony

WKR
If your in Ohio, fin, feather & fur has them. I just bought some