Causes Horizontal Stringing

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
What are some of the most common causes of horizontal stringing other than wind?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I can add I have zero vertical stringing. My guess is something with me on the trigger or cheek pressure.

TaperPin

WKR
Cut strips of cardboard off a cereal box and loosen the actions screws, wedge the cardboard down the sides of the action, and tighten it back up - if the horizontal goes away your bedding has slop in it. Even round receivers can have a flat area on the stock and the action moves back and forth. I have a wood Remington stock and the flat spot is really obvious. This is such a common issue there is cardboard in my range bag.

Some shooting styles put side pressure on the pistol grip - if you’re pulling toward you each shot with the trigger hand to line up the crosshairs it will cause weird things because the pressure is different each shot - only move the crosshairs with your shoulder.

Worst case, defects in the barrel can cause it to walk as it warms up. Even custom barrels can get bad steel, factory barrels more so. I recently heard of a new custom barrel that moved point of impact 2 moa in 10 shots. The company that made the barrel replaced it after seeing metal in the chamber was wonky.

There also can be partial contact on one side of the barrel - the barrel vibrates against the tight spot throwing shots sideways different amount.

Loose scope bases also move side to side causing wide groups.

Internal loose scope lenses can move in any direction, but could be left to right.

eoperator

WKR
Inconsistent pressure/contact with rear bag and or shoulder.

Edit- nevermind I was thinking vertical

Last edited:
My experience tells me mechanics of the shooter, mechanics of how the rifles is supported during shooting and parallax issues with eye box alignment. I can't say I've ever experienced/read much about horizontal stringing having to do with action bedding or action screws. Those forces are all in the vertical realm for the most part.

Agree, loose mounts could do it.

It could just be the load. I say this because I had a Kimber that shot factory Partitions in a 2" horizontal string and would shoot factory Accubonds and factory ELDX at an inch in the same day.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Agree it can be mechanics in technique, especially if the trigger press is heavy, gritty or long.

Could be something in the bedding.

Elkslut

FNG
I was told by a guy that benchrest shoots. That impacts up and down is variable in powder charge and side to side is seating depth variation.

LaHunter

WKR
Technique specific:
I have found too much face pressure on the stock will torque the rifle during recoil and can cause horizontal poi shift.
Not maintaining control of the rifle with your firing hand can lead to horizontal poi shift
'slapping' the trigger
Too much 'grip pressure' with your firing hand

I have read seating depth can be a horizontal contributor as well. Load up some at a different depth and try it. My bet is it's not that, however.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all. I should have been more precise because I really think it is technique. The variation left to right is minimal at 100 yards with a 338 RUM. About 1/4 in right and one 1/4 in left. Certainly no more than 1/3 of an inch the other 3 shots were essentially the same hole.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_6293.jpg
I do not know what you call it, but this is the target and it is positioned as it was in the field. It is wider left and right than I normally shoot. So I think it was me just not sure what I was doing, but good advice here.