Causes Horizontal Stringing

SDHNTR

WKR
View attachment 676236
I do not know what you call it, but this is the target and it is positioned as it was in the field. It is wider left and right than I normally shoot. So I think it was me just not sure what I was doing, but good advice here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unless it always does that, and you have multiple targets showing the same behavior over multiple shooting sessions, that group is not telling you much. Could be nothing more than chance. Shoot 10-20 times on the same target and you’ll see true patterns develop.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Unless it always does that, and you have multiple targets showing the same behavior over multiple shooting sessions, that group is not telling you much. Could be nothing more than chance. Shoot 10-20 times on the same target and you’ll see true patterns develop.

True, but I have shot darn near the same group many times. That is why I was asking what would cause what I called horizontal stringing. I don’t normally do it with that load and that gun. I don’t know much about proper technique, never shot competitively, and really never gave much thought as to shooting. I just shot.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_9241.jpg
Here it is drop box failed.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good scope and good rings, were they properly degreased and torqued? Start there. Then are action screws properly torqued? And is action bedded? Rule out the mechanical problems and then start tightening the nut behind the gun.

SDHNTR

WKR
R Bros Rifle, Proof Sendero CF 26 in with a brake

Zero chance Travis let that out of the shop poorly bedded. There’s a chance the hardware loosened up, check that, but knowing the rifle builder now, mechanical problems are highly unlikely.

Are you shooting the load Travis developed for it? Also, zero chance he had the same results and let it out of his shop.

TaperPin

WKR
Just thinking out loud again, but more than one rifle has left a shop with an under torqued barrel.

Posts #19 and #20 show the group he suspected was horizontally stringing and the group after he focused on his technique. What is loose on that gun that his technique fixed?

Harvey_NW

WKR
View attachment 676666
Thanks for the help. It was inconsistent cheek and bag pressure. Had nice weather with no wind so I got to shoot some. Good day.

How did you change what you were doing to fix it? I don't understand what you mean by bag pressure, as in the cheek pressure down into a rear bag, or pressure from your hand on a rear bag?

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Zero chance Travis let that out of the shop poorly bedded. There’s a chance the hardware loosened up, check that, but knowing the rifle builder now, mechanical problems are highly unlikely.

Are you shooting the load Travis developed for it? Also, zero chance he had the same results and let it out of his shop.

You are not reading my post. It was all me as suspected. It was cheek pressure and how I had the butt in the bag. I never thought it was mechanical.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
How did you change what you were doing to fix it? I don't understand what you mean by bag pressure, as in the cheek pressure down into a rear bag, or pressure from your hand on a rear bag?

1. I put more pressure on my cheek to stock and did it in a consistent manner. I had gotten sloppy and careless as to details.
2. I slid the gun forward in the bag so just enough of the butt was sticking out for me to shoulder and I squeezed on the bag the same each time. With the gun back the stock was not as tall and it was not as stable in the bag.

All of that may be wrong technically but it works for me and is how I would normally set up.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know a lot about rifles. I have two mottos. If my loads are not accurately repeated time and time again, and I don’t consistently repeat my shot mechanics time and time again, it will not matter what rifle I am shooting. My shots will be ugly.

Harvey_NW

WKR
1. I put more pressure on my cheek to stock and did it in a consistent manner. I had gotten sloppy and careless as to details.
2. I slid the gun forward in the bag so just enough of the butt was sticking out for me to shoulder and I squeezed on the bag the same each time. With the gun back the stock was not as tall and it was not as stable in the bag.

All of that may be wrong technically but it works for me and is how I would normally set up.

Ah, understood. I feel the same way. I continue working on fundamentals but I've found front and rear bags give me the most solid rest for determining how well a combo shoots. When I go to rear bag and bipod it may open up a bit, but I don't have any wild shifts of impact. So it's just me on a less stable platform.

SDHNTR

WKR
You are not reading my post. It was all me as suspected. It was cheek pressure and how I had the butt in the bag. I never thought it was mechanical.

Yes. I see that now. Good job.