Casper/Natrona County

go_deep

WKR
My 6 year old work truck had just over 160k miles on it. I don't leave the office everyday, and I have almost 2 months of vacation a year. Windshield time is equally as real as the wind.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
My 6 year old work truck had just over 160k miles on it. I don't leave the office everyday, and I have almost 2 months of vacation a year. Windshield time is equally as real as the wind.

Is most of that driving for work? My wife drives about 2 hours during the day for work, so that’s not totally foreign for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
Is most of that driving for work? My wife drives about 2 hours during the day for work, so that’s not totally foreign for us

I have 2 separate trucks, personal and work. Truck referenced above is only a work truck.

Following along as my fiancée and I are planning to move and it’s looking like a large part of my work would be in that area. I would love to move farther west she could find a job no problem er nurse not sure how much work for a union pipefitter/welder is yet waiting for a call back.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Following along as my fiancée and I are planning to move and it’s looking like a large part of my work would be in that area. I would love to move farther west she could find a job no problem er nurse not sure how much work for a union pipefitter/welder is yet waiting for a call back.

When you say further west do you mean further west in Wyoming? When are y’all looking to move?

My wife and I are looking to move from NC next summer. Originally Montana was where we had our sights set, but underwhelming pay for educators and housing prices are proving that to be unlikely.

We’re in Casper right now on a scouting trip and will be in Sheridan as well over the next few days before we fly back out of Cheyenne. Doing everything we can to make an informed decision, I’d love to hear people’s honest experiences living in Natrona county. Specifically, the culture here, church communities, as well as the schools since that’s where we’d be working. We’re open to other towns depending on job availability/cost of housing.

For what it’s worth, we’re trying to be very honest about what life here would be like for us, and I appreciate any honest feedback on people with firsthand experience.

Trying to find a job as a teacher in Wyoming may be difficult as there was an article in the newspaper a few weeks ago indicating that, due to covid funds going away, there would be 1,000 teaching positions that could be vacant statewide.

ClearCreek

When you say further west do you mean further west in Wyoming? When are y’all looking to move?

Yeah farther west in Wyoming lander maybe Powell would be nice. Not anytime soon she just signed a contract at her hospital hopefully 3 years from now when her contract is up we will be packing bags!

SDHNTR

WKR
No offense taken at all, I’m here for honest feedback whether it lines up with what we want to hear or not. Fortunately we really don’t fit that mold of being highly educated and having lots of needs at all. We need very little in terms of entertainment and shopping, and if you saw how little we did at home as far as “going out” you’d probably laugh. If you could live somewhere else in the state (realistically) where would it be?

If I were moving to WY, I’d look real hard at Cody.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to find a job as a teacher in Wyoming may be difficult as there was an article in the newspaper a few weeks ago indicating that, due to covid funds going away, there would be 1,000 teaching positions that could be vacant statewide.

ClearCreek

When you say there would be 1,000 vacant teaching positions, do you mean they’d be doing away with those positions entirely? When you say they’ll be vacant it sounds like you mean there will be a lot of open positions they need to fill.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah farther west in Wyoming lander maybe Powell would be nice. Not anytime soon she just signed a contract at her hospital hopefully 3 years from now when her contract is up we will be packing bags!

I hope you guys are able to do it. I’ve heard good things about both of those places too

SDHNTR

WKR
What makes you say Cody?

It’s just maybe not as “industrial” of a town. Overall, things are a bit nicer. It’s a cool western town. It has an identity and culture, a cool vibe. More surrounded by mountains. Closer access to high country, and of course Yellowstone. More scenic. Less wind.

Yes, it’s more expensive, as would be expected given all I said above. But still, it’s a far cry from Jackson prices.

Last edited:
OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
It’s just maybe not as “industrial” of a town. Overall, things are a bit nicer. It’s a cool western town. It has an identity and culture, a cool vibe. More surrounded by mountains. Closer access to high country, and of course Yellowstone. More scenic. Less wind.

Yes, it’s more expensive, as would be expected given all I said above. But still, it’s a far cry from Jackson prices.

Any time I start feeling anxious about housing prices I can just pull up Jackson on Zillow and all is well . Sounds like a great place with a lot of what we want

Mt Al

WKR
I've never lived in Wyoming but have an employee in Casper and work regularly in Sheridan. A few acquaintances have moved from Bozeman and Billings to Sheridan and absolutely love it and wish they would have left Montana sooner (sorry Sheridan rocksliders...). Housing prices there are getting higher, but it's all relative.

The employee in Casper also loves it there, but does talk about the wind and just having it part of life. He likes Casper and the area because it's not trendy (yet...it's coming) and so many places to go on public land all over Wyoming he'll never see them all.

Tell us where you land after all this awesome info gathering!

SDHNTR

WKR
Laramie is worth a look too. If you like college towns, I do. It’s also a small town that has some vibrancy and culture. Only a couple hours from Denver if you need a major airport or large hospitals, etc.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
When we moved to WY I wanted Cody or Powell.
Better housing prices, prettier country, better hunting.
My wife won out and we moved to a town where she grew up here in WY.

Where did you guys end up?

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I've never lived in Wyoming but have an employee in Casper and work regularly in Sheridan. A few acquaintances have moved from Bozeman and Billings to Sheridan and absolutely love it and wish they would have left Montana sooner (sorry Sheridan rocksliders...). Housing prices there are getting higher, but it's all relative.

The employee in Casper also loves it there, but does talk about the wind and just having it part of life. He likes Casper and the area because it's not trendy (yet...it's coming) and so many places to go on public land all over Wyoming he'll never see them all.

Tell us where you land after all this awesome info gathering!

Thanks for your help. I guess it wouldn’t take much to want to move from Bozeman with the way it’s changing haha. That’s one thing that’s drawn us to Casper is the fact that it’s not trendy yet. We’re excited to see Sheridan though after hearing everyone’s thoughts that we’ve talked to