Cartridge minimums

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So...it would be okay to break the law because a game warden probably won't check that you're using a caliber that isn't legal?

It’s interesting how hypocritical hunters can be on the internet.

So you’ve never broken any speeding, stop sign, or red light regulations? In California it’s a minimum $475 fine for red light in the city I’m in right now, only $25 less than non-lead ammo fine.

Worrying about other hunters bullet diameters and type of metal used in said bullets is why hunting will likely barely exist in 100 years.

Thegman

WKR
The attempt to intertwine law and ethics with calibers, bullet types, Mag capacity, etc. are where it gets goofy. I guess they have to draw the line somewhere, but you think they would consult some knowledgeable people in that first.
Oh, don't worry, I think they consult with lots of knowledgeable people...

So you’ve never broken any speeding, stop sign, or red light regulations? In California it’s a minimum $475 fine for red light in the city I’m in right now, only $25 less than non-lead ammo fine.

Worrying about other hunters bullet diameters and type of metal used in said bullets is why hunting will likely barely exist in 100 years.

The road to hell is paved with rationalization.

You don't accidentally plan and bring a rifle hunting where the caliber isn't legal.

In NM, you can hunt big game with a .223. You cannot use a rimfire .22 caliber. A .22 mag rimfire would be illegal to use.

A piece of property marked 'No Trespassing' and not 'No Hunting' doesn't mean you can hunt the property anyway, even if the landowner or a game warden doesn't see you.

Omission vs. Commission. There is a difference....

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Omission vs. Commission. There is a difference....
Legal vs moral . There is also a difference.

Correct, hunting on non-posted private land without landowner permission may be legal (depending on state law) but is not moral (or right)

Driving 90 (or 160)mph on I-94 in eastern MT in daylight with no traffic is illegal but is of no moral consequence.

Shooting a 300 win mag poorly may be legal as opposed to shooting a 223 well
but the "right" thing to do in that case may be to use the 223. Or severely limit your shooting distance accordingly. The 24 cal min law is an arbitrarily made law with no moral or ethical bearing.

Its also amazing all the tough guys on the internet. Most of what you pointed out are civil infractions in most states. Most wildlife laws are misdemeanors in most states so kinda apples and oranges.

The 24 cal min law is an arbitrarily made law with no moral or ethical bearing.

But using a 22 cal when the limit is a 24 can let you have a discussion with a judge.

I morally disagree, vehemently, with laws that allow abortion on demand and convenience. I cannot legally prevent someone from doing one where it's allowed by law.

When we don't like certain laws, we can do 3 things: change by choosing legislators, move to a different [state], live with it anyway...

z987k

WKR
When we don't like certain laws, we can do 3 things: change by choosing legislators, move to a different [state], live with it anyway...
You can also lobby or otherwise put pressure on the legislature. There's also civil disobedience. A long standing American tradition. You can also, bring suit against the state and try to get things overturned in the courts if you have the money, or can find a group that agrees with you that does have the money. Then there's jury nullification if you find yourself in such a position of power.

Live with it anyways is the eh I don't actually care enough to do anything. Which to live a peaceful life is going to be the answer 9/10 times.