Carnivore Diet

River_Rat

FNG
So 2 weeks in and I feel good. Lost 10 pounds as of this morning. Only problem I'm running into is leg cramps that I've never had before.

bdan68

WKR
So 2 weeks in and I feel good. Lost 10 pounds as of this morning. Only problem I'm running into is leg cramps that I've never had before.

You're probably low on potassium from losing a lot of water you had been holding onto due to the consumption of carbohydrates. Get some "No Salt," and use 1/2 teaspoon along with 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1 liter of water. Mix it in and drink a couple of those each day.

No Salt is potassium. The salt is your sodium. Just make sure it's a good quality salt. I use Redmond Real Salt.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I ALMOST went carnivore but settled in to low carb 3 months ago and am loving it. My energy level through the day is super stable - no more bonking when blood sugar is low. I do 14-16 hour fasts every day eating from about 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM. I take some salt with my morning water to keep electrolytes up - I get slight visual abherrations once in a while if I don't. Gave up caffeine 3 years ago due to adrenal fatigue. Feeling better than I have in a decade - will never go back to caffeine or the "typical" american diet/eating schedule.

Way too many health benefits and positive side effects of coffee for me want to quit, but meat and veggies diet is legit. I've been doing it since 2015. Like the others, staying lean. No cravings. No "Oh no! I'm low on blood sugar!" episodes. Just steady energy, eating when I am hungry, and higher sex drive. Sleeping like a baby too.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
My results with carnivore.

Zero brain fog, probably the sharpest my mind has ever been. I am almost 50.

Not really ever tired. Sleep 4-8 hours and you are a rock star.

Really productive at work and at home. Fatigue and stress didn't bother me.

Lost a lot of weight, and then it slowed down.

Not really hungry as long as you manage the fat.

Drank a lot of water. Also drank black iced tea through out the day.

I regularly have gout, and I had no gout and no arthritis.

Stools came out ok, as long as I drank a lot of water.

We are going to Disneyland in 8 days. Once we get back I am going to get back on it. Just felt a lot better.

I ate beef, bacon and eggs. A bit of salmon, but not all the time.

I don't recommend you stray from that circle of food.

New York Strips, good quality butcher bacon, and eggs. Ate a lot of ground meat prepared a variety of ways. Ate both pork and beef sausage, mostly beef, bacon and eggs.

Had really bad luck with turkey and chicken. Just not enough fat in it and not enough protein. I did do well with baked chicken wings and I'd make a sauce and dip them in buffalo and plain greek yoghurt with salt and pepper.

Mojave

WKR
How often did you get blood work done and what were the results?
My guru:

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
How did giving up caffeine go? I drink way to much coffee.
It was easy for me - I only drank one small cup of regular coffee a day.. Had slight headaches for a few days. As long as I sleep well, I just don't need the caffeine at all. I did it because my adrenals were completely tapped out and I didn't need to stimulate them harder. After a couple years with a functional medicine doctor my adrenal system is really coming around and I feel better than I have in a decade. I will mention that I used to get altitude sickness worse than my hunting buddies each falling hunting around tree line in CO, but ever since the first year I was off caffeine altitude sickness has been a think of the past - not even a hint since then.

I can vouch for many of the positive effects Mojave lists above with the diet. Quit running your body on sugar/carbohydrates. I took about 3-4 weeks for my body to become "fat-adapted" instead of running largely on carbohydrates. My energy level is super stable all day long and I never get that super hungry (hangry) feeling fueling my body with fats. And you can lift weights and do cardio during your fasting period and there is absolutely no perceptible effect on performance. Wife is intermittent fasting too and has had some of her fastest 6 mile run times she has had in a couple years.

Elite

WKR
Wondering who is all still on this diet? Anybody still eat fruits and veggies and meat? Seems like it would be hard to give up fruit and veggies

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Still making up my mind to try that. I’m reading about its pros and cons all day long and thinking that it will actually be a good new thing to try.

Elite

WKR
I have decided to cut excessive carbs out (have done keto before) But just cutting carbs out from pasta and rice and some carb heavy fruits and crackers and other processed carbs has made a huge difference in my energy and efficiency at the gym. High protein and moderate fat low carbs works well for my body

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I started low carb with Atkins 20 years ago. I have mostly been low carb of some sort since then. I went to carnivore in September of 2020 and have been on it continuously since then. My diet is mostly meat, eggs, butter and fat.

When I first started on carnivore, I lost very little weight. Though my diet was already low carb and pretty meat centric before the move to carnivore.

I haven't had any trouble staying on the diet, but after 20 years of some form of low carb, I guess I am pretty used to very restricted eating.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
This link explains what is wrong with our current dietary guidelines. Fantastic stuff here. Cut the carbs and up the fats.

boomah21

Lil-Rokslider
Strict carnivore for 6 weeks now. Down 22lbs with no difference in physical activity other than I have a lot more energy to do it if I wanted haha.

Was able to quit smoking, sugar cravings and 3 monster a day habit all cold Turkey with this. Have zero desire for any of them

Felix40

WKR
Update: I gave up on the carnivore diet after about 2 months. It was just too inconvenient. Lately, I’ve been trying to gain muscle and I need some carbs for the calories. I’m just eating healthier overall and haven’t noticed any negatives.

Geewhiz

WKR
Strict carnivore for 6 weeks now. Down 22lbs with no difference in physical activity other than I have a lot more energy to do it if I wanted haha.

Was able to quit smoking, sugar cravings and 3 monster a day habit all cold Turkey with this. Have zero desire for any of them
Wow man. What an accomplishment.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Really with the carnivore diet? Next will it be a Tide Pod challenge?

If you're feeling better on the carnivore diet, it's only a sign that the nutrition plan you left it for was a sad, sad piece of dogs**t. It's like a crack addict switching to cocaine because cocaine is, like, soooo much healthier. Stay on Carnivore for long and you're basically writing a blank check for cardiovascular disease and nutritional deficiencies. And the complete and total absence of fiber is just setting you up for colon cancer, digestive ailments, and other issues. There is zero evidence it is healthy...except perhaps anecdotal accounts from social media influencers. Never in the entire history of mankind, until Joe Rogan's podcast, have people lived on a meat-only diet. Even early man living in the Arctic relied heavily on plant-based nutrition and seasonal berries.

I agree that the standard western diet, aka American diet is horrible. And being overweight or obese carries more long-term risk than does a short dalliance with the carnivore diet. So here's my concession: If carnivore helps you lose weight for a month or two, great. Use it as a chance to figure out why your previous eating and lifestyle habits were so god-awful. Then fix those problems. We need meat, and fats, and dairy. But we need phytonutrients and vitamins and fiber too. It's how humans are built. So get back to whole grains, fruits, and vegetables as soon as you can.

Before you plunge into carnivore, first consider just giving up starchy vegetables like white potatoes, refined grains, sugar-sweetened beverages, most booze or brews, any food with added sugar, and high intakes of saturated fat. Cut back on salt intake. After a month of that, reconsider what to do next.

bdan68

WKR
Dutch Henry-

You've bought into all the lies. There's nothing in plants that is required for the human body that we can't get from meat. Fiber is completely unnecessary and can be harmful. Grains are especially bad. How about you try quitting all corn, wheat, and any other grains for a month? I bet you'll see some improvements.