Caribou hunters in the Taylor and Steese Highway areas.

docfod

FNG
I am curious if the info I have read on the Alaska Game and Fish site has any factuality. According to the site there are Whitetail Deer in the northeast area of Alaska that are migration in from Canada. Have any of the caribou hunters ever seen any and if you don't mind what area.

VernAK

WKR
I haven't seen any whitetails in this area but I have seen mule deer on two occasions. There are whitetails west of Whitehorse and this is where we suspect the mules deer came from.

FNG
Last winter I was trucking north of Whitehorse and seen deer in a field. It was almost dark and I couldn’t tell what species but I was very surprised to see them that far north.

Over 15 years ago I personally saw an enormous mule deer buck feeding on the roadside about 5 miles north of Whitehorse. It might just as well have been a giraffe, as I could not have been more shocked.

I'm thinking a couple years ago a dead mule deer was found near Fairbanks. I have never heard of a whitetail existing in Alaska.

VernAK

WKR
Between Whitehorse and Haines Jct there is a large area that burned in the 50s. That area now contains a large herd of Woods Bison as well as many Elk and some Mule Deer and I saw a Whitetail near Whitehorse about a month ago. I haven't heard of Whitetails near my home but a couple Mule Deer have been seen on the farms here and one hung around Eielson AFB for a year but ended up as roadkill IIRC.