Career for Outdoorsmen

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 cents. Get a job that you truly enjoy in a location that has all your outdoor activities close by. It's nice to be able to hunt after work, weekends and on vacation. The closer you are the more time you get to spend doing it. I lived in Minnesota for 7 years when I was younger. Work was good, the people were nice and I had allot of fun. But it was a far cry from Montana where I grew up. I missed the mountains and being able to hunt elk after work and on the weekends. I also missed being able to hunt different animals every year and the lack of public land that you only get in the Western states. Its pretty tough to scout for new spots when your 800 miles away. Good luck!!!!
^What he said. I'm in the middle of a career change from geologist to electrical engineer because I have my eye towards the future and to really do well in oil and gas you will probably need to move to Texas or Alaska. I love Alaska, don't get me wrong but I would rather live in the PNW. I lived in Texas too. Fun to visit but not to stay. Contracts will fluctuate with the price of oil. I was low man on the totem pole when oil dropped from $115 a barrel to $65 in early 2009 and was laid off then. After that I took a subcontracted job for CH2M Hill at the Hanford Nuclear cleanup site. I worked in project management there for 2.5 years at 50 hours a week (no vacation) until the government stimulus ended and then 2700 of us were laid off. I decided I want a job that will last this time and am looking at being a power engineer working with Hydropower generation. I see A LOT of people going into nursing. Makes me wonder if it is sustainable or not and how healthcare will play out in the near future.

Foldem

WKR
^What he said. I'm in the middle of a career change from geologist to electrical engineer because I have my eye towards the future and to really do well in oil and gas you will probably need to move to Texas or Alaska. I love Alaska, don't get me wrong but I would rather live in the PNW. I lived in Texas too. Fun to visit but not to stay. Contracts will fluctuate with the price of oil. I was low man on the totem pole when oil dropped from $115 a barrel to $65 in early 2009 and was laid off then. After that I took a subcontracted job for CH2M Hill at the Hanford Nuclear cleanup site. I worked in project management there for 2.5 years at 50 hours a week (no vacation) until the government stimulus ended and then 2700 of us were laid off. I decided I want a job that will last this time and am looking at being a power engineer working with Hydropower generation. I see A LOT of people going into nursing. Makes me wonder if it is sustainable or not and how healthcare will play out in the near future.

The front range of Colorado has a solid oil and gas industry right now. Of course that could all change if the state government bans hydraulic fracturing.

If you're not afraid of hard work and long hours start off as a pumper and work your way up. I have several buddies that have done so and advanced quickly within a couple of years.

Hardstalk

WKR
For all of you oil and gas guys, any tips on breaking into the industry for entry level positions? I'm young, single and motivated so the idea of working long hours and weeks in return for a good amount of time off is intriguing.

Ive got 2 buddies that are roughnecking. No exp. just knew somebody. One buddy has been at it (single, no kids) for 3-4 years. Last we talked he was clearing. CLEARING! 8 bills a day.. As much as I wanted to be envious I know that with a family life in the mix it would be beyond difficult. He works 7 on and 7 off. Great for hunting. But I think the wife would get tired of it pretty quick. It would take a very understanding mamma at home. The other buddy was begging me to find him work as a finisher (concrete) so he could get back to town and be with his kid and wife.

Fire fighter/paramedic would be a great gig. Not sure where your located but around my parts unless your blonde haired.blue eyed. n'mormon. Ya aint gettin in.. Not sure if its like that everywhere? But Im fairly certain its a opening that only comes around once someones retires or dies in most parts.

The paramedic is a requirement before becoming a fighter. So your looking at another 2-3 years (besides your degree) before your feet get wet.

Im not sure there is a "perfect" job for the outdoorsman. Most outdoorsman love children, passing on the tradition. And a wife that feels the same about the outdoors that they do.

In conclusion once the kids get to the age of killin' there in school so even with 370 days off a year and a great salary everyone around you that you would like to see in the hills beside you have obligations as well. Find something you like to do most importantly. It will keep you hungry for the hills.

The way i look at it you have two options to be able to enjoy hunting..

1. You get a job paying enough to pay for guided hunts, with very little time to go out and scout on your own..

2. Have a job with more freedom and you can do more DIY type hunts where scouting is a must..

Ashley

FNG
Paramedic.. You work two days a week and off 5 days.. My husband and I work the same days so we get 5 days off together every week, plus you can trade shifts and take vacation so it's pretty easy to get lots of time off...... The downside? Being off so much is expensive so you end up picking up overtime to support your habits... It's a tough field to get hired in but all the work it takes to become a paramedic definitely pays off.

jherald

WKR
I have pretty decent schedule, work 12 hr shifts 3 then 4 off then rotate to work 4 and 3 off. We can trade shifts too for 7 on and 7 off, take some vacation on top of that and you can get a real extended time off without burning much vacation time.

AZ Vince

WKR
My advice is find a career you will enjoy and make it about the experience not about the money.

See above.
I'm in a career I don't care for but tolerate so I can have some of the things I want, like hunting.
Been doing it too long, and too old, to change now but I'm just hanging on for retirement. There ain't a day that goes by that I don't wish I was doing something else. If I had it to do over I'd do what I love and find some way to make a living at it.

Benny

FNG
Find something you are very, very passionate about. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as you live and breathe it.
Find a way to leverage that passion that includes controlling your own destiny without it being completely market dependent.
Work your tail off and build a system that is repeatable and teachable.
Teach and create a first class team around you.
Empower your team.
Reward your team more than society says you should and create great loyalty.
Enjoy the personal reward of both a great income and the ability to create your own schedule.

OP
Highcountry_Hellrazor
Find something you are very, very passionate about. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as you live and breathe it.
Find a way to leverage that passion that includes controlling your own destiny without it being completely market dependent.
Work your tail off and build a system that is repeatable and teachable.
Teach and create a first class team around you.
Empower your team.
Reward your team more than society says you should and create great loyalty.
Enjoy the personal reward of both a great income and the ability to create your own schedule.

That's the attitude I wish my supervisors would have had in the past.

Jon Boy

WKR
Anyone else feel that work is work? I enjoy a good days worth of work, but you could pay me to drink beer all day and sooner or later it would be a job (a bit of an extreme example) Thats kind of why I wouldnt want to have a job doing what I love, sooner or later I feel like I would no longer love it and just do it for the money. I took this fall off from work and hunted for three months. By the end of the season my drive was gone, it was no longer special to be out in the woods, I wasnt excited to get up at 4 am and freeze my ass off looking for a buck of a life time (even though I still did)
My dream job is one that challenges me on a day to day basis, pays well, and affords me a lot of time off to do the things I actually love.

Buster

WKR
I wish someone would pay me to drink beer... or to get up at 4 am to freeze my ass off to hunt a big mule buck... any potential employers out there?

Jon Boy

WKR
I wish someone would pay me to drink beer... or to get up at 4 am to freeze my ass off to hunt a big mule buck... any potential employers out there?

Point being, once you do it every day because your obligated, not because you want to do it, it no longer has the same appeal as it once had. If I had to drink 9-5 5 days a week I would most definitely hate drinking beer, and it wouldn't take many hang overs before I quit lol

Buster

WKR
You do have a good point. However, I do know that hunting for a living would sure beat my day job. The "grind" of day in and day out would have to be mitigated with thoughts of how lucky a guy is to be doing what most could only wish. I guided for a full season one year (my wife was almost never to be my wife after that 3 1/2 month stint). I found that I truly loved just being out, even if it was to hunt for others. I had the odd thought that wished it was for my tag and not others, but they passed quickly. If it wasn't so hard on a family life, a guide's life would be for me. I can also see how it could wear on some people.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else feel that work is work?
My dream job is one that challenges me on a day to day basis, pays well, and affords me a lot of time off to do the things I actually love.

I feel like these statements are spot on. I am passionate about what I do in my job as a nurse. it is challenging, I feel like I make a difference for people, I feel I am reasonably compensated (most days), and it allows me time off for the outdoor pursuits that I love. My job satisfaction is high, in part because I am able to do the things that make me happy in the rest of my life.

Not that anyone would ever pay me to do it, but I would never want to hunt for a living. I feel I would end up losing the ability to make choices and do things the way that I wanted, plus feeling too much pressure to punch a tag. Having to do it for a living would take all the fun out of it. I agree JonBoy, work is work.

Buster

WKR
Good point on the "pressure to punch a tag" Becca. Can be a nasty influence on decisions. You'd need a strong will to keep your values straight.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm glad I'm not alone becca!
No you're not alone, I agree 100%. I like my job, I work with some great people (and some real knuckle heads), and have a great schedule. However, I hate leaving to go to work and the time away from home really sucks. And at the end of the day it's what I do so I can do what I want.

ebhegele

FNG
If you can stay single......

I work on drilling rigs. I get paid very well and have two weeks of every month off. It's a great career that's non stop room for advancement. Especially with a college degree.

It was the most amazing life for hunting ever. Then I did the gayest thing ever and fell in love with a smoking hot blonde. At least I live in the country so I still hunt and fish. But it's no two week bugle chasing trips out west.

If you can stay single......

I work on drilling rigs. I get paid very well and have two weeks of every month off. It's a great career that's non stop room for advancement. Especially with a college degree.

It was the most amazing life for hunting ever. Then I did the gayest thing ever and fell in love with a smoking hot blonde guy. At least I live in the country so I still hunt and fish. But it's no two week bugle chasing trips out west.

Fixed it for ya ;-)

I'm a paramedic, and I was going to go the firefighter route, until I realized I enjoy working in the hospital much more than I thought, and me being larger I didn't want to be standing on burning roofs for a living. So I decided to go back to school to become a PA (Physicians Assistant) If you're smart and you can study, this is probably the best job out there. I'll work 3 12's a week, and start out over 100k coming out of PA school. It goes along with the nurse if I work for the hospital as the schedule is similar (two of my buddies are RNs and one is a PA) so it made my decision somewhat easy. Besides, who doesn't want to be able to pay for a Stone Sheep tag in just a year of work!? But then again, PA school is very competitive to get into and you need to work hard but after you're done you're good to go. And it helps being single.