Career for Outdoorsmen

G Posik

WKR
The oil and gas industry is good for rotation work. Most of my crews work 28 on and 14 off. That is a 3 crew rotation. I have my superintendents work 28/28. I get a pile of time to hunt in a normal year. This year not so much with some major projects landed. I still managed 18 days off in September and another couple in November and will have last week of December and 8 days in January. If you have a Construction Management degree you can do PM work in the oilfield. If you look into the offshore market(That is what I do) the down side is you have to live in Houston. But hey the good thing is you get the time off. I used 8 days of vacation for all of this time off. But then again I pay for it during construction season.

Glenn

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work a schedule like that and is tough if you work out of town and have a family with kids. My off time is the only time I can spend with them so its tough most times to break away. You have all the honey do s right when you get home and everything that needs done before you have to head out to work again.Just another perspective

Vandal 44

WKR
I would be an ER nurse. I have a buddy who is traveling nurse he takes almost all of September off, 15 days in October and November. He makes good money and has some good benefits

Ray

WKR
Did you learn any project control system stuff like primavera project planner?

There are AE firms that do construction over site for their customers and don't get too dirty. They are influenced by the same production and seasonality issues as construction firms but they tend to spread the work out. AE firms see employees as an investment rather than a commodity to be consumed.

I am a cm graduate and work for a GC, don't do that if u want a flexible schedule as you are married to the job. If I could do it over I would have done nursing as mentioned above. 3-12's and out.

OP
Highcountry_Hellrazor
Did you learn any project control system stuff like primavera project planner?

There are AE firms that do construction over site for their customers and don't get too dirty. They are influenced by the same production and seasonality issues as construction firms but they tend to spread the work out. AE firms see employees as an investment rather than a commodity to be consumed.

I used P6 in school for a scheduling course. However I haven't scheduled with it in the real world. It is one complicated software not very user friendly imo. I will look into AE firms thanks that seems like a good career path with my experience.

AitchAr

FNG
I'm an RN in a cardiac and thoracic ICU. It's fairly easy to schedule up to eight days off in a row without burning vacation...not that's happening with a 2 year old and 5 month old at home, but it's possible.

I have an engineering degree and work in the oil patch. My job pays me a great salary, but more importantly I get every other Friday off and five weeks of vacation a year. The culture of my company is great and it's very easy to take that vacation as well. All this lets me pursue just about all the hunting opportunities I want to.

I'm in the oil and gas business. I/E supervisor to be exact. The money is great I get 4 weeks a year right now and I work 4-10's . I wish it was more :) but I realize I have it pretty good. A rotation will be your best bet but there is usually sacrifices that go along with it.

Jimbob

WKR
You end up spending ALOT of time at your job so why not try and make it one you enjoy? The purpose of my career is not to make money, my life would suck if that was the case. Hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing, mountain biking etc are all fun things but they are not the reason for my existence.

Anyways, I have a degree in wildlife biology and now I am a high school teacher at a First Nations school. I work at a First Nations school and I love my job. I get no holidays during the moose rut but do get a week off during the deer rut. Also the whole summer off and all holidays, about 12 weeks total. My job is unique as the First Nation school encourages connection with the environment. In November I called in a supply teacher and went deer hunting, killed a doe then brought it straight to my school. My biology class dissected the deer right in the classroom. Also I teach an outdoor ed class; trapping, maple syrup collection, archery, general bushcraft, outdoor sports ya know all the fun things.

So yes I love my job but not because of the cool things I do but because of the the people I work with on a daily basis (staff and students). My advice is find a career you will enjoy and make it about the experience not about the money. Good luck.

Hoot

WKR
I also work in the oil industry, in the I/E&C (automation) field, unfortunately as a manager I work M-F every week, but my company, and many others offer 7/7 or 8/6 schedules. There are great benefits to be had, above average salary potential, and good job security right now.

I would say Oil and Gas. Just work for a company like I do. Your young and want to make money,Hunt and Fish. 28 on 14 off. Also I have seen jobs on Rigzone.com for people to do wildlife surveys and research. Get paid double what DOW gets for same job. If not more. Plus you get vacation time too. And usually your bosses are hunters to. So they are more than happy to accommodate. I fish after my shift for an hour, about 2 times a week. I had fishing license in 3 different states last year! I took 20 days off for hunting this year. Get into Well-Testing/Flowback. Thats where the easy money is at. Colorado company's are hiring right after the first of the year.

ams

WKR
Vets get some tag preference in some states and I believe a wave on the hunting license. LE jobs are nice for vacation but have other draw backs. Maybe look at jobs that allow vacation in the fall but aren't too hard on the family life for the rest of the year. It would be hard to get out hunting if the home isn't stable.