Carbon Fiber Stock Repair?

Broke the carbon fiber stock on my rifle. Manufacturer already sent me a replacement. But how you go about repairing this stock? Should I patch it or cut out the rear section and rebuild? Any recommendation on where to order materials and supplies?

Attachments

• IMG_9769.jpeg
    IMG_9769.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9767.jpeg
    IMG_9767.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9768.jpeg
    IMG_9768.jpeg
    467 KB · Views: 45
OP
K
Hollow under the crack. There is some spray foam right behind the buttpad

Attachments

• IMG_9772.jpeg
    IMG_9772.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9774.jpeg
    IMG_9774.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 21
OP
K
My guess is both. Rifle was leaned up against my work bench slid and hit the floor. Didn’t think anything of it and went to the range. Shot close to 40 rounds and noticed the stock flexing.

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the stock design, I would fill the butt/grip section with some kind of spray foam so you have a backing and keep the shape. Next, sand the paint and a bit (not all) of the carbon away at the crack plus a few inches on either side. Then add a few pieces of carbon over top. I would sand down roughly one layer, so the two layers of carbon you add will only increase the outer dimensions by ~1/16”.

When I’ve made my stocks, I have mainly used 2-3 layers at different locations, so you really don’t need much. I have used West Marine resin, just because it’s local to me, and I’ve gotten carbon from online composites companies and amazon. Frankly, haven’t noticed a real difference between the two.

If you don’t love the stock design, now is the perfect time to reshape it! You can make the length of pull shorter or longer, raise or lower the comb height, change the grip angle/thickness, etc. There are quite a few threads on here about building custom carbon fiber stocks. It’s pretty easy, just takes some thought and patience.

You will need some epoxy resin and carbon fiber. The strength from carbon fiber comes from the lay up as it's only strong in tension. You need to put down several layers with proper orientation to get good strength.

You can get materials from some place like Fiberglass Supply. Marine supply stores often have epoxy resins, but not carbon fiber as they tend to use mostly fiber glass in marine applications.