Carbon 6 Tikka pre-fit

TxLite

WKR
Yeah I’ve had and shot the sporter version from them a bit. It’s solid and a few oz lighter. This will likely be a better handling version for what I’m guessing is a heavy recoiling 5.5lb gun.
Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out

SDHNTR

WKR
Update
Received go no go gauges this morning, the barrel I received is not in spec, go gauge won’t even come close to fitting
How do you know it’s the chamber that’s out of spec and not the action?

Sled

WKR
That pile would go straight back if it were mine! If they’ll let that slide I’d hate to see how far they’ll push a reamer.
I've certainly tried. After some back and forth and then no communication I went to the dispute on my visa and PayPal since it was in two payments. I got an email in the early hours the following morning.

They first weren't concerned about it, then wanted to inspect and possibly repair. After the dispute they claim they've already started a new barrel and will have it finished in a week.

So, you're telling me the barrel finished in one week will be better than the one that took 4 months to finish? Anybody here have their own work improved when they rush things?

I don't have much confidence in their work and would prefer a refund.

Riplip

WKR
Disappointed to here about the shoddy work and even more so about the terrible customer service. I ordered a barrel in December with 1/2 paid up front. Not sure what to do at this point. Don't want to eat the deposit, but also now very concerned about issues and then not having any remedy or a company stand behind their work.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Disappointed to here about the shoddy work and even more so about the terrible customer service. I ordered a barrel in December with 1/2 paid up front. Not sure what to do at this point. Don't want to eat the deposit, but also now very concerned about issues and then not having any remedy or a company stand behind their work.
I’m thinking about calling Gene and seeing what the options are. Maybe voicing the concern early and letting them know a dozen or so folks in forums are concerned will up the QC. If nothing else if he says not to worry and there’s an issue puts him more on the line.

Riplip

WKR
I’m thinking about calling Gene and seeing what the options are. Maybe voicing the concern early and letting them know a dozen or so folks in forums are concerned will up the QC. If nothing else if he says not to worry and there’s an issue puts him more on the line.
I may do the same. Please report back if/when you get a hold of him.

EcoastDG

FNG
So I took out the ejector and the firing pin this afternoon. Bolt is still extremely tight on Go gauge. I then tried factory ammo. The bolt closes with no issue on the 175 Eldx. It’s a little snug on the 180 Eldm but closes fine.
Barrel is torqued to 90 ft/lbs.
I plan on only shooting factory ammo in this rifle to start with.
You guys think it’s safe to fire?

OP
J

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
So I took out the ejector and the firing pin this afternoon. Bolt is still extremely tight on Go gauge. I then tried factory ammo. The bolt closes with no issue on the 175 Eldx. It’s a little snug on the 180 Eldm but closes fine.
Try different lot numbers of ammo, mine would close just fine on some and others not so much, even measured fired brass and it’s below minimum specs

Sled

WKR

You're probably going to need to bump shoulders every firing and may not be able to load every round since it could be a tight chamber. Run some factory ammo through the chamber without firing to see if they all will chamber. I wouldn't pull the trigger if there is any chance you want to send the bbl back.

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
Please let us know how you make out if you do reach out. Sounds like there’s a bunch of us that are concerned about orders we have in.

ID_Matt

WKR
As many issues as I hear about tikka pre-fits and how different the action tolerances can be, I'm amazed companies continue to chamber them.

SDHNTR

WKR
I still don’t understand how a headspace issue can be entirely the barrels fault when it’s a prefit! Why is no one mad at Tikka here?

Sled

WKR
I still don’t understand how a headspace issue can be entirely the barrels fault when it’s a prefit! Why is no one mad at Tikka here?

That could be the case but it seems no one is having headspace issues when swapping factory barrels to different actions. With the barrel makers I've dealt with in the last 5 years I'm not the least bit surprised that there are issues making a prefit that headspaces correctly.

SDHNTR

WKR
That could be the case but it seems no one is having headspace issues when swapping factory barrels to different actions. With the barrel makers I've dealt with in the last 5 years I'm not the least bit surprised that there are issues making a prefit that headspaces correctly.
Which makes perfect sense. All factory barrel chambers have a wider tolerance range to accommodate variations in ammo sizing. When I buy a custom barrel, otoh, I want tighter tolerances!

Tahoe1305

WKR
i have a action that’s had a factory 270 wsm. Now a proof 6.5C (headspaced and shoots fine) that is going to get a C6.

I’m guessing if there’s an issue it won’t be the actions fault.

SDHNTR

WKR
i have a action that’s had a factory 270 wsm. Now a proof 6.5C (headspaced and shoots fine) that is going to get a C6.

I’m guessing if there’s an issue it won’t be the actions fault.
Why are you going from a proof to a carbon six?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Why are you going from a proof to a carbon six?
Well long story….but….

First I have one C6 for a savage on 7 wsm. It shoots awesome.

Second. I am borrowing a buddies 6.5C proof for a long range hunting course (he refused to let me shoot a 7wsm for it….and sent me his barrel).

Lastly. I got it like many during the sale for like $650. Not many chamber a 7wsm in a prefit. No one does it for $650. And again I was happy with the first C6. Also as far as I know the featherweight profile is as light as carbon gets. And I am a bit of a weight nerd.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Which makes perfect sense. All factory barrel chambers have a wider tolerance range to accommodate variations in ammo sizing. When I buy a custom barrel, otoh, I want tighter tolerances!
All of my factory barrels I have swapped that were the same cartridge have landed with in .001 on head space of each other on one action. I have not changed my sizer settings on 3 different 6.5cm factory barrels the range of push back on the shoulder has been between .002-.003 for all of them. Measuring the lands between all of them came up with about .005 variation, I’d say they are pretty consistent.

Same for a couple of 223 barrels between 2 actions, the only prefit I have used that came up the same on my headspace measurements was a PVA. All of the others fell on the long side but still in spec or were too short. I have never installed a factory barrel that wasn’t close to minimum spec, I trust a tikka take off a lot more than most prefits.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you guys get this resolved easily and these are isolated incidents. I have 22 creed on order with them from that holiday sale. Based on all the reviews I could find before ordering it seemed like a no brainer for the price.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you guys get this resolved easily and these are isolated incidents. I have 22 creed on order with them from that holiday sale. Based on all the reviews I could find before ordering it seemed like a no brainer for the price.
I did the same but I wasn’t 100% at time and now I’m less than optimistic. I should have just bought another PVA. If it shoots half decent and head spaces ok I will be happy enough considering with a 22cm it won’t last long.