Carbon 6 Tikka pre-fit

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I read into this thread. Makes it easier for me to want to stick to 700 style actions 🇺🇸

Does anyone have recommendations for a 6.8 western barrel? I was originally looking at a carbon six but may consider other options, heard some similar things with the OMR barrels through the forum. Thanks in advance!

NSI

WKR
PVA and PBB seem to be better than mcG, OMR, and c6 by reputation here. Unless you have a local smith who could spin up a Douglass/benchmark/proof/krieger to your specs...
-J

Sadler

WKR
Sucks guys are having bad experiences with carbon six. I’ve had a few of their tikka prefit barrels with zero issues. If I ever had questions or wanted to tweak anything on my order, Gene was/is always fast at getting back to me and adjusting things if needed and I’ve never had one showed up needing work or faulty in anyway. I currently have two more of their tikka prefits on order right now.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Welp, C6 screwed up my barrel also. FWIW, I ordered Jan 2, arrived yesterday. To start, they shipped my barrel to Wyoming, I do not live in Wyoming. I caught that and they were able to get it turned around.

Barrel arrived and it had started to poke through the end of the tube on the muzzle end. Thankfully the knurled thread protector took the brunt of the damage and the crown was fine. I'm not worried about the tread protector as I'm putting a tuner brake on it. But they could have put a little more packing material in there to keep it from slamming around inside the tube.

I ordered a 26" bull barrel, which should have had a muzzle diameter of 1". I got a 26" barrel, but the muzzle diameter is ~0.883". I can't decide if I'm pissed I didn't get the profile I wanted, or the fact that 0.883" isn't even a finished muzzle diameter they offer. It falls between the Sendero and Magnum profile. I guess I got a "custom". How the hell do you make a barrel that doesn't match ANY spec in your lineup? They clearly don't measure shit.

Other than that, all threads looked fine, chamber/bore appear to be ok and it headspaced properly. I was a little surprised that there wasn't any marking on it whatsoever indicating what the chamber is. I understand it can be a pain to index, but still.

I contacted C6 yesterday. They don't have another blank in stock that could be used to build the correct profile barrel. Said it would be a "couple of months", so I figure double that. The CS rep I was emailing with did offer to speak to the owner (Gene I believe?) to see about a partial refund. I'm going to go that route. I don't want to wait probably another 6 months for a barrel, and based off of their track record on this tread, hope that the next one is right. I'm just going to be thankful the profile is wrong and everything else appears to be ok and start working up loads.

I will say that C6 has been very responsive about both the shipping issue and the profile issue. They responded to all emails within probably an hour and didn't give me any problem there.

Idk how exactly C6 is tied into McGowen. I know they use McGowen blanks. But it's clear C6 has gone down the tubes along with McGowen recently. Maybe McGowen does all of the threading/chambering/profiling and C6 just wraps the "blank" with carbon? Guess it doesn't matter, I won't order another barrel from them.

Sled

WKR
Welp, C6 screwed up my barrel also. FWIW, I ordered Jan 2, arrived yesterday. To start, they shipped my barrel to Wyoming, I do not live in Wyoming. I caught that and they were able to get it turned around.

Barrel arrived and it had started to poke through the end of the tube on the muzzle end. Thankfully the knurled thread protector took the brunt of the damage and the crown was fine. I'm not worried about the tread protector as I'm putting a tuner brake on it. But they could have put a little more packing material in there to keep it from slamming around inside the tube.

I ordered a 26" bull barrel, which should have had a muzzle diameter of 1". I got a 26" barrel, but the muzzle diameter is ~0.883". I can't decide if I'm pissed I didn't get the profile I wanted, or the fact that 0.883" isn't even a finished muzzle diameter they offer. It falls between the Sendero and Magnum profile. I guess I got a "custom". How the hell do you make a barrel that doesn't match ANY spec in your lineup? They clearly don't measure shit.

Other than that, all threads looked fine, chamber/bore appear to be ok and it headspaced properly. I was a little surprised that there wasn't any marking on it whatsoever indicating what the chamber is. I understand it can be a pain to index, but still.

I contacted C6 yesterday. They don't have another blank in stock that could be used to build the correct profile barrel. Said it would be a "couple of months", so I figure double that. The CS rep I was emailing with did offer to speak to the owner (Gene I believe?) to see about a partial refund. I'm going to go that route. I don't want to wait probably another 6 months for a barrel, and based off of their track record on this tread, hope that the next one is right. I'm just going to be thankful the profile is wrong and everything else appears to be ok and start working up loads.

I will say that C6 has been very responsive about both the shipping issue and the profile issue. They responded to all emails within probably an hour and didn't give me any problem there.

Idk how exactly C6 is tied into McGowen. I know they use McGowen blanks. But it's clear C6 has gone down the tubes along with McGowen recently. Maybe McGowen does all of the threading/chambering/profiling and C6 just wraps the "blank" with carbon? Guess it doesn't matter, I won't order another barrel from them.

Gene is the manager, like Dan at McGowen. Ron owns C6. They are connected operationally and maybe monetarily. I'm glad gene entertained a partial refund with you. That's something I pushed for but he wouldn't give up. I finally had to go a different route.

As for your bbl, you're correct they aren't great at measuring. At least not in my experiences. You're bbl was probably a return that they were able to repurpose or someone else got a non custom profile. Like you, my list of barrel makers has shrank.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Gene is the manager, like Dan at McGowen. Ron owns C6. They are connected operationally and maybe monetarily. I'm glad gene entertained a partial refund with you. That's something I pushed for but he wouldn't give up. I finally had to go a different route.

As for your bbl, you're correct they aren't great at measuring. At least not in my experiences. You're bbl was probably a return that they were able to repurpose or someone else got a non custom profile. Like you, my list of barrel makers has shrank.
Props to C6. I emailed them this AM regarding the refund. Partial refund already processed.

I can't fathom how they can keep churning out off spec barrels, then issuing refunds or re making multiple barrels and still turn a profit and stay afloat. I wish them well.

What was your lead time?
A couple days shy of 4 months.

The chamber and transition into the rifling looks fine on mine.

It will have to wait to get installed until tomorrow since the gunsmith has my action and he didn’t open his storefront today.

A couple days shy of 4 months.

The chamber and transition into the rifling looks fine on mine.

It will have to wait to get installed until tomorrow since the gunsmith has my action and he didn’t open his storefront today.
My CarbonSix Howa Mini barrel in 6mm ARC was a perfect fit, no issues with headspace. Took it to the range today with factory Hornady 108gr ELD-M ammo, and it shot some 5-shot 1/2" groups. No complaints here.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Happy Thanksgiving. I’m going to restart this thread to see how people’s experience with CarbonSix has been for people recently. My potential build hinges on holidays sales including the CarbonSix sale. I need to decide pronto if I’m going to go through with it. It would be a Tikka prefit where I send in my barreled action and they do the swap.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
The one I got this year shoots lights out. I ordered it last year for the holiday sale and the delivery was longer than advertised but the barrel shoots great

wyosam

WKR
Has anyone had them pull the barrel off their old tikka and spin on the new one? Result?

It’s righty tighty, lefty loosey. I suspect they can manage. They are really easy to do yourself if you expect to do enough barrel swaps in your life to justify the tools. Paying someone to do it twice will cost more than the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
It’s righty tighty, lefty loosey. I suspect they can manage. They are really easy to do yourself if you expect to do enough barrel swaps in your life to justify the tools. Paying someone to do it twice will cost more than the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m trying to be a one rifle to do it all type of guy but this forum isn’t helping with that.