Canon 110HS for Digiscoping

I looking for some opinions on this little camera, it should be sufficient for Digiscoping, but how would the picture quality stack up for after the Kill shots, does it have the potential to take great magazine worthy photos? Any of the other canons worth a better look at? Im looking for the best of both worlds camera, as Im not going to pack my heavy Rebel XTI this year. Thanks guys!

tstowater

WKR
I used a SX230 HS last year and was extremely pleased with the results. We played with digiscoping both still and video with it and worked just fine. The camera is a fairly high resolution and a very good optical zoom. There is a new model now which I am sure is better. The camera can easily fit in your pocket. Only drawback, if so considered, is that the camera uses rechargable battery packs instead of batteries. I bought an extra for emergencies. I would use this camera to take magazine quality pictures. As to the 110 HS, all I can say is that Cannon makes very good cameras. I looked at the Cannons and the Sonys, but stayed with a Cannon because that is what I have used in the past. I bought my wife a different model for Christmas a couple years ago and she uses it all the time. She carries it in her purse. I was trying to get the best value for size, resolution, optical zoom and convenience. It works for me. I have also concluded that cameras are like computers, you need to upgrade every 3 years or so. I replaced an older camera and got all the newer bells and whistles and save a ton of size.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the 110 HS should work well for digiscoping. My only concerns would be the high megapixel spec. 16 megapixels is a lot of pixels stuffed on a small sensor, so you might see a lot of noise, especially at higher ISOs.

I would definitely prefer the 100 HS' maximum 5x zoom to the SX230's 14x max zoom. The 100 HS should vignette much less.

tstowater

WKR
We got the vignetting that BB talks about, but the primary purpose the camera was bought was for the other reasons: high Megapixels, high optical zoom, etc. If you are wanting to primarily digascope, the 230 class would probably not be the way to go. We made it work, but we were playing more than anything. The video was awesome.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
tstowater,

I sure wasn't trying to talk down your camera, it looks like a very good one, and better suited to all-around use than 100HS, I was just referencing the OP's inquiry regarding digiscoping.

Canon makes awesome compacts. It is amazing how good the video is!

tstowater

WKR
BB: I understood what you were pointing out and just wanted to show that I agreed with what you had to say. I will be using the 230 for another 2 to 3 years unless there would be some reason to change.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I got ya, tstowater.

Bearhunter,

I think the 100HS would do ok for all around use in addition to digiscoping. The Canon that comes up often as a super all-around camera and great digiscoping camera is the Canon s95, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

OP
Bearhunter
Great info guys, thanks for the opinions! I will look into the Canon S95, I am trying to stick with the canon's cause I am used to there menu and camera operation but would be open to others if there is a better option. I want the best all around compact that I can carry in a hip belt pocket that will get used a lot more because of ease of access compared to my bulk DSLR. Thanks again you guys are very knowledgeable.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Bearhunter, I've been using the Canon S100 for a few months now and really like it. It is the latest release of the S95 and has several significant benefits--including full HD video and high speed video which can produce some very cool effects. I'm using it w a Swaro ATS 20-60x 65mm and a combo of the Zeikos adaptor with the Swaro DCA. The photo quality you get from this camera is magazine quality in a couple respects, high megapixels and plenty of manual controls and features. It can be a bit tough to produce a narrow depth of field but that is to be expected with a camera like this.

The Nikon Coolpix P300 was on my short list as well. You might check that out.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Digiscoping Example

Ok, I think i figured out how to upload pics. The cubs have a bit of blurr on them because I was using a manual shutter speed, but it still turned out pretty good bc the sow stood still.

Attachments

• grizz.JPG
    grizz.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 45

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pic Gznokes!

How is vignetting with the s100? I have heard the s95 hardly vignettes at all, but I see the s100 has a little higher max zoom. The specs on the camera look great for all-around use and digiscoping.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Matt,with my set up I don't get any vignetting. Of course i have to zoom in a bit w the camera. (actually, I might be able to produce a tiny bit if its on 60x, i can't remember. But in general it is not a problem.) You have a great set up with that S95. I know that is an excellent camera as well.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have the s95, myself. I use a Sony WX1, and it typically vignettes for about 1/2 the camera zoom. It sounds like the s100 is similar. I asked about vignetting because I have spoken to s95 owners that have reported getting ZERO vignetting throughout nearly the entire camera zoom range! That would be nice.

Well, HCA needed a camera for product pictures so I talked the owner (myself) into the Tines Up digiscoping kit with this camera. It was on sale for $270 as the camera model I guess is discontinued! Will give it a new shot next week when my spotter gets here as well as the kit! Hopefully it works alright... :)

Mike

OP
Bearhunter
I see now Tines up is Selling there new Digiscoping kit with the Canon 110, wonder how there getting around the 16.1 Megapixel noise issue?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I see now Tines up is Selling there new Digiscoping kit with the Canon 110, wonder how there getting around the 16.1 Megapixel noise issue?

They likely aren't. I am sure most people never even look for noise. Most cameras with high MPs and small sensors have a lot of in-camera noise reduction. For digiscoping use, it isn't likely very noticeable, but for general use like trophy photos you might see it more. Photos that have been processed for a lot of noise reduction often end up losing detail. Just about across the board, camera makers put a lower megapixel count on their high end cameras with small sensors. For instance, the Canon S100 is their top of the line small sensor compact, and it has a 12MP sensor.

bigmoose

WKR
I have the S95 and really like it also. The S100 should also be great. My S95 goes everywhere with me. Both models will shoot RAW too. I've had good luck with Canon and their photo program (that comes with the camera) works well for me.

Moose