Canadian bear hunting advice

blacklab1

FNG
A few friends and I just booked a May bear hunt in Canada. We'll be staying in tents and doing spot & stalk or stand hunting. Other than that, I have no what to expect. I looked up the average weather and it said anywhere from 30* to 70* and snow isn't out of the question. Anyone here ever hunt in Albertus in May? I have a ton of questions. Are bugs a problem? How far and how do you travel on spot and stalk hunts, 4 wheelers, horses, on foot? Do I need to take my spotting scope and tripod or just good binoculars? How far are average shots, in Maine it was 50 yards in Idaho it could be as far as 400. I have the standard Sitka and Kuiu clothes, good backpack so I'm not worried about that, and probably use my .308. Any advice would be appreciated. My buddy that booked the hunt has hunted there before with good success and is a really nice guy but........trying to get a straight answer out of him is almost impossible, all I get is you'll be fine, it'll be great and so on.

ljalberta

WKR
The answer to all of the above is… it depends. Call up the outfitter that you’re booked with to ask about how they run their operation and what to expect.

You could be sitting in a tree stand with 40 yards of visibility, or you could be spot and stalking in the foothills with miles and miles of visibility.

OP
B

blacklab1

FNG
The answer to all of the above is… it depends. Call up the outfitter that you’re booked with to ask about how they run their operation and what to expect.

You could be sitting in a tree stand with 40 yards of visibility, or you could be spot and stalking in the foothills with miles and miles of visibility.
I asked for the outfitter info, he hasn't given it to me yet.

Bc7mm

FNG
I’ve been hunting bears for 30 years In British Columbia. I’ve spent time in Alberta and Sask in the last 5 decades I’ve been hunting As well. Honestly, assume there will be mosquitoes, and it will be raining, and it will be cold. near the end of May the bugs can be bad in some places. I carry a hat with a bug net just in case. Most mornings are not much above freezing with it warming up quite a bit during the day. my Longest shot on a bear was around 300 yards, most shots are 100 or less, closest was 18 yards, all spot and stock Hunting. Hunting over bait is different, but bait isn’t allowed in B.C. A 308 will work just fine on black bears. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

OLDnSLOW

FNG
I've been on two black bear hunts in High Level, Alberta and it's been the volume of bugs that made it memorable! Take a headnet, maybe two! Guys would duct tape their shirt cuffs and pant legs to keep the mosquitoes from getting inside their outer layers. Without a doubt at times it was like a horror movie where you'd watch dozens walk around on your headnet inches from your face trying to find an opening. DEET is your friend. (We didn't have Thermacells back then.)

These were both stand/baited hunts with the typical shot around 20 yards. The stands were also used for archery hunters (I had a rifle) so all the shots were close. We'd walk in maybe 100 yards but if a bear was taken 4-wheelers were brought in to bring the bear back to the truck.

I was there in early and mid May, so temps were cool as it got into the late evening, but very tolerable with a jacket. And a ,308win is a great choice for black bear. Shoot it and listen for the moan.