Canada moose hunting

Treeman85

FNG
Took this bull in early October 2022. 308 win with a 165gr ballistic tip. Was hunting with 2G outfitters in Newfoundland. Drove up from florida, camped out several nights on the way, had a blast. returning in 2023 for another hunt.

How was your experience with 2G? I am thinking of booking them sometime. Did you see enough game? Foot travel, atv, or argo? What weeks seem best?

Coldmaker

FNG
After a whipple surgery, during which i made a stroke. Turning my 7 day hospitalization into 52 days, having to relearn walking and all, followed by 7 month of chemotherapy, that ended in april, i was still not in the best of shape in November. but the prognostic on pancrea cancer being what they are, i booked a newfoundland moose hunt anyway to try to live the dream of getting my first ever moose.

When we stumbled on this 35" bull on the first afternoon i didn’t hesitate, and sent a 200gr terminal ascent thru his shoulder and it exited beind the off shoulder (was quatering to)

Attachments

• 6861DBDA-E92D-43FC-A4A8-6B848DAAE717.jpeg
    6861DBDA-E92D-43FC-A4A8-6B848DAAE717.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 38

bmrfish

WKR
After a whipple surgery, during which i made a stroke. Turning my 7 day hospitalization into 52 days, having to relearn walking and all, followed by 7 month of chemotherapy, that ended in april, i was still not in the best of shape in November. but the prognostic on pancrea cancer being what they are, i booked a newfoundland moose hunt anyway to try to live the dream of getting my first ever moose.

When we stumbled on this 35" bull on the first afternoon i didn’t hesitate, and sent a 200gr terminal ascent thru his shoulder and it exited beind the off shoulder (was quatering to)

Attago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
How was your experience with 2G? I am thinking of booking them sometime. Did you see enough game? Foot travel, atv, or argo? What weeks seem best?
2G was an good choice IMO. Priced well, food was great, good company all around, and the camp was small. No “extra” prices added such as flights, pick ups or anything else other than tipping the cook and guide.. Slept in a cabin and had 3 meals a day… 3 hunters, 1 man could not walk and left after day 3 when my moose was flown out. I only saw 1 moose and shot him…. Wandered around after the hunt and had another moose call to me. Another hunter killed his moose on day 6. Was a fly in and boated to the hunt site… Supposedly will have an Argo in camp this year, but I think that’ll be a bit difficult depending on where the guide wants to go. Foot travel for me, I enjoy hunting that way but I’m sure he has other camps to accommodate any physical limitations. Clifford is an honest man (for a Canuck)…Lol….
Headed back this year the 3rd week in Sept… Hunted the first week in October in 22….
PM and I’ll send my # and I’ll fill you in on details

vdocLU164

FNG
Sure, embarrassed to say I don't know how to post pics. Me and a bud hunted with Rock Camp Outfitters, Parsons Pond NL. We flew out of Peter Strides, camp was 18 miles from Peter Strides. Landed on Sunday and hunted on Monday. I had a moose tag and the only caribou tag allotted to the Outfitter. I booked the hunt through a booking agent at the Harrisburg NRA. My bud and I are from New Jersey and drove to New Foundland, no hitches.

Monday we saw several caribou and a couple of moose. One moose was 2000 yards away, guides hit the e-call and he came running like a horse for 1000 yards, circled to get the wind and we never saw him again. We did see a moose run another moose off at the same distance.

Tuesday Morning was slow, Tuesday afternoon while overlooking a big flat area a cow ran out followed by a bull moose. We stalked down and I give my friend first shot, he passes and I shoot the 30" 6 point moose at 269 yards with an Alamo Precision Maverick custom in 300 Weatherby shooting Weatherby factory 200 grain Accubonds at 3090, two complete pass through, no bullets recovered. We spend the rest of Tuesday afternoon processing the moose.

Wednesday morning we head out and see a lot of nice caribou ( to me and my bud, we have no idea what a big one is, they all look big). Guides won't let me shoot any of them, says they are too small. The guides spot a group of caribou bedded at 1700 yards, they say they need a better look. We stalk to about 800 yards, guides say get closer, stag is bedded with about a dozen cows. We stalk to 200 yards in the fog, I drop down prone, look over and guides tell me to shoot. I drop caribou with neck shot. 43 points and guides say it will make B&C. I saw the B&C caribou that was shot last year, mine is a lot bigger.

That afternoon the guides see a bull, my bud and guides take off after it. About 2 miles later my bud makes a 580 yard shot on a 34 1/2" moose. The other two hunters from PA shot a 34" and 44 1/2" moose.

Accomodations were rustic, no running water to brush your teeth or bath. We took a couple of solar showers with heated water off the stove. The chitter broke and it smelled, we couldn't get out early because of an airplane/helicopter issue.

Guides were great and knew how to find game. Food was OK, we ran out of water and almost food. Ate "bottled moose meat" and ham in a can. I use and CPAP and the battery I bought only worked for two hours. Successfull but tough hunt.

If someone can PM their cell number, I can send pics to post. Any questions, fire away!
Did you happen to land back at Peter strides on Monday 10/3/ 2022?

Treeman85

FNG

Looks like a great time!

vdocLU164

FNG
No, we left Peter Strides on 10/3 and came back on 10/9! My caribou ended up scoring 333 6/8ths making B&C!
Congratulations that's awesome! We also departed Peter Strides that day! I ask though because as we were waiting to load the float plane 2 guys came off one with a beautiful caribou and one with a moose

Sako76

WKR
Who did you hunt with and how did you do? We barely got a ride in and has to wait till Sunday to get out when we were ready to go on Thursday!

vdocLU164

FNG
Who did you hunt with and how did you do? We barely got a ride in and has to wait till Sunday to get out when we were ready to go on Thursday!
We hunted with Effords. We flew in something like 60 miles. There was a few moose around but had to walk for them. It was the last week they were hunting that camp and all but 2 guys that were there before us the first 5 weeks that season shot moose. So I think it was a little pressured by that point. We also had some infighting between the guides that were there. I guess it was their first season working together. But we ended up going 2 for 5 out of our group. Really could have been 3 for 5 except my father was hunting with his recurve and had a big bull at 50 yards broadside. So myself with the compound bow or any rifle would have been a chip shot.