Can am battery

Weldor

WKR
Interesting thing happened to my Can am xt pro. Was going to take a trail ride with the wife and hounds. Made it about a mile down the road DOA right there. Tried to crank it code PPS, put the little jump stater on the battery it fired and died. New code now dash is all wonky. Walked home got the truck and towed it back. Load test battery no go 6.4 volts, still won't run even with 14.3 coming in. Went to town got new battery. Wah lah everything back to normal. I guess I have to do dual batterys, jump starter did not matter won't run below 12.5 according to the mechanic? says the computer needs the juice. Got a call in to Can am see what they say. Hate to get left 30 miles back, no tow service available for that stuff. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the voltage requirement. Glad you got it figured out before you were too far back in. My biggest worry is getting stranded way back with my wife and kids. I have a 2020 Defender. I installed and Odyssey PC1200 last fall. The factory battery was weak. The sxs only has 300 miles on it, but the factory battery had a hard time cranking in sub zero temps.

Interesting thing happened to my Can am xt pro. Was going to take a trail ride with the wife and hounds. Made it about a mile down the road DOA right there. Tried to crank it code PPS, put the little jump stater on the battery it fired and died. New code now dash is all wonky. Walked home got the truck and towed it back. Load test battery no go 6.4 volts, still won't run even with 14.3 coming in. Went to town got new battery. Wah lah everything back to normal. I guess I have to do dual batterys, jump starter did not matter won't run below 12.5 according to the mechanic? says the computer needs the juice. Got a call in to Can am see what they say. Hate to get left 30 miles back, no tow service available for that stuff. Just food for thought.
I need to set up a dual battery on my Pioneer. They may not have belts, but if the battery falls below 9v the clutches won't disengage, causing them to burn.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Sure do, it's on a timer runs for 4 hrs a night at the cabin. The battery was the original still got 4 years out of it. Just would have been nice to know that it won't run without a pretty much fully charged battery. No good in back woods. Remember the older ones would run without battery if you jumped them. To many computer's .

IdahoBeav

WKR
Sure do, it's on a timer runs for 4 hrs a night at the cabin. The battery was the original still got 4 years out of it. Just would have been nice to know that it won't run without a pretty much fully charged battery. No good in back woods. Remember the older ones would run without battery if you jumped them. To many computer's .
If you get a Battery Tender, you can leave it plugged in months on end. It only sends the trickle current when the battery is not fully charged.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
Just spoke with my dealer, good people. They have never heaard of a defender doing that. Also said if a new battery seemed to fix it all should be good. No anwser on not running with low voltage battery or shorted battery. Told if it happens again bring it in. Same here, I run my year around but gets used more in the fall. 2020 with less than 300 miles on it.

OP
Weldor

Weldor

WKR
If you get a Battery Tender, you can leave it plugged in months on end. It only sends the trickle current when the battery is not fully charged.
I do have a tender, I think I will put on instead of the trickle charger. I would hate to have to build a hook for a 6 wheel xt just for insurance. LOL.