Can a scope moving in the rings damage the Scope?

Luked

WKR
Have a Winchester Model 70 that I had a Leupold VX-6 on.
When I shot it last after putting the scope on to zero it it shot horrible.
I thought it was the cheap Winchester Deer Season XP shells I was using at the time.
Didnt mess with it much after that for a while until the other day.
Had plans to put the Nightforce SHV on it and when I pulled the Leupold off it had moved forward in the rings at least 1/8"
I am assuming this was from the recoil of the rifle.
I did torque the Leupold Mark 4 Rings down to spec.
First time I have ever encountered a scope moving from recoil before and now has me wondering if the scope could be damaged in some way?
What are your alls thoughts?
My plan was to put this VX-6 on a future 6.5 PRC i plan to buy so I have some time that it will not be used. Should I send it into get checked?

kcm2

WKR
I had that problem once with a Kahles scope. It did not damage the scope but it sure affected the zero.

So, my limited experience is "no."

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
What cartridge?

Like someone else said, it’s very likely fine. But there’s an issue with your system, if your optic is moving enough that you can see the marks on the tube, from recoil, and you do not remember any significant impacts, something is not right. That is abnormal. At the very least (assuming everything is to spec) that is crap performance from the rings, but I think you already know that.

My dad has some big guns that get shot a good bit (338LM and a .50 BMG) and I can not for the life of me recall an issue of a scope noticeably slipping in the rings.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
What cartridge?

Like someone else said, it’s very likely fine. But there’s an issue with your system, if your optic is moving enough that you can see the marks on the tube, from recoil, and you do not remember any significant impacts, something is not right. That is abnormal. At the very least (assuming everything is to spec) that is crap performance from the rings, but I think you already know that.

My dad has some big guns that get shot a good bit (338LM and a .50 BMG) and I can not for the life of me recall an issue of a scope noticeably slipping in the rings.
Its a 300 WSM
Rings have already been removed and ill be putting Warne Mountain rings on it when they come back in stock.
It was very visible on the scope tube as it scuffed the tube up pretty good.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Always a good idea to use a lapping kit alignment bars to at least check your ring alignment, lap if necessary. Then use rosin on the inside of the rings when doing the scope install. Then of course proper torque and thread lock. I have never had a scope shift since implementing this procedure.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Always a good idea to use a lapping kit alignment bars to at least check your ring alignment, lap if necessary. Then use rosin on the inside of the rings when doing the scope install. Then of course proper torque and thread lock. I have never had a scope shift since implementing this procedure.
I have a scope lapping kit and alignment bars etc. as well as Wheeler scope level kit a digital level etc. for when I do mountings.
Curious though as what you are meaning with the rosin..first time I have heard that one.
Could you elaborate more on it.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Pine Rosin. Basically powdered pine sap. I dust the inside of the rings with a dry Q tip and mount the scope. I use alcohol on a paper towel or Q tip to remove any excess on the scope body when install is complete.

It’s an old gunsmithing trick that I learned about over a decade ago when I had some scope slippage issues and started researching solutions. Rosin is also used for barrel removal/install as something to add friction to the barrel when clamped.

You can get a bag on Amazon that will last many lifetimes for cheap.

smackler

FNG
It may "damage" the finish color but unless you do it non stop and it eventually wears a hole thru the metal it won't damage the functioning of the scope besides your zero always being off