Campers

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm mostly dreaming at this point, but in a couple years my kids will all be old enough that I think we could start camping without it being a nightmare. I have three kids. I thought maybe getting a camper would help me convince my wife to do this. Ideally, I'd like to take the family to see some national parks and just generally see various parts of the west. So far, it seems to me that if you have a family that totals five people, you've got to have a pretty large camper. Is there anybody fitting five in a smallish pull behind camper? Something that can be pulled by a 1500 truck and is capable of handling mountain roads? I don't think I'll need all the bells and whistles, but what are other people using that they like? Anybody have any thoughts on this for a first timer looking into campers?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

There are a few 20' campers that have a queen up front and bunks in the back. That still leaves 1 person without their own space but most have a couch or table you can convert to another bed. Bunk house campers usually have 4 bunks but are bigger than 20'

Mt Al

WKR
Tons of options for something a 1500 could pull. Mine's a 21 foot with a smaller-than-queen bed for mom and dad, a bunk above and the dinet turns into a queen bed big enough for two or three small kids. Has a tiny toilet, sink, shower and a decent kitchen/fridge/stove.

Lots of options and camping was one of the best things we ever did as a family.

Trr15

WKR
I'm mostly dreaming at this point, but in a couple years my kids will all be old enough that I think we could start camping without it being a nightmare. I have three kids. I thought maybe getting a camper would help me convince my wife to do this. Ideally, I'd like to take the family to see some national parks and just generally see various parts of the west. So far, it seems to me that if you have a family that totals five people, you've got to have a pretty large camper. Is there anybody fitting five in a smallish pull behind camper? Something that can be pulled by a 1500 truck and is capable of handling mountain roads? I don't think I'll need all the bells and whistles, but what are other people using that they like? Anybody have any thoughts on this for a first timer looking into campers?

You could get by with an 18’ bunkhouse type travel trailer. Take a look at the Summerland mini. It’s a budget trailer, nothing fancy but could get it done for you if you’re only looking to sleep in it and get out of the rain. Has a kitchen, toilet and shower. Dry weight is around 4500lbs if I remember correctly

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
We started with a popup camper. They are cheap, easier to store and if you buy them used you can resell for close to what you paid for them. We went from a popup, then to a bunkhouse, now back to a tent. I felt like both the popup and the bunkhouse were too cramped for 3 kids and I

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I was really liking the looks of the taxa mantis. Then I saw it has a cassette toilet and looked into how that is handled. Hard effing no.

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from camping this weekend. 17ft bunk house. Wife and I get the full up front, kids each get their single bunk in the back. Table changes down into a bed for the dog (or kid #3 for you).

The solid shell is great for driving into the night, finding a spot and parking.

A pop up will tow easier (its all about wind drag, not total weight) and have MORE room once open vs mine. Just depends on what's more important.

With little ones, it's great having a bathroom no matter where you are. My hard sided tows hard for its weight, but very nice to pull over and crawl in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boiserunr

FNG
I have a couple small kids and wife who was not big on camping. But we live in Idaho and like spending time outdoors and we ended up getting a good deal on a Taxa Mantis and it's been pretty good. We've taken it down a lot of forest service roads and have had to fix a few things here and there after hours of washboard but nothing too major. I have not had another type of camper so I don't have much to compare to besides tent camping. I've also used it as a base camp for a couple hunting trips. I ended up lifting it a couple inches and upgrading the tires, jack and hitch and it's done well for us. But I get that it's not for everyone and it has it's issue. There are a lot of options out there.

Attachments

• truck camper.jpg
    truck camper.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 59
OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I have a couple small kids and wife who was not big on camping. But we live in Idaho and like spending time outdoors and we ended up getting a good deal on a Taxa Mantis and it's been pretty good. We've taken it down a lot of forest service roads and have had to fix a few things here and there after hours of washboard but nothing too major. I have not had another type of camper so I don't have much to compare to besides tent camping. I've also used it as a base camp for a couple hunting trips. I ended up lifting it a couple inches and upgrading the tires, jack and hitch and it's done well for us. But I get that it's not for everyone and it has it's issue. There are a lot of options out there.
Those are so cool. Really wish they had a blackwater tank.

Moserkr

WKR
The lance 2185 has triple bunks, and theres a few other manufacturers that do as well. Or put the kids out in tents. Besides yellowstone, thats a decent option if they’re old enough.

68Plexi

WKR
GeoPro G20BHS. 21 feet, 2 bunks, full size bed up front and a dinette that can sleep one adult or two smaller children. Weight is 3,500 lbs dry. My truck’s towing capacity is 5k lbs and it does fine. One of many choices, but for my family of 4 it’s great.

Started with a pop up but eventually wanted a bathroom for my girls. The pop up was great to start, like others have said. We sold ours for what we paid for it after using it for 3 years. But we camp where it’s cold and they are drafty and cold even with a heater. Hard sided trailer is far warmer in my experience.

Also worth considering, there are also some National Parks that will not let you camp in pop ups due to bear problems.

Also depends on how much time you want to spend inside the trailer vs just sleeping in it. Even 21’ will feel tight if you all want to spend a lot of time inside.

fe0b2cf4778ac3fe03ae59eeab639523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
We had a wolf pup 18. I just sold it for only a $500 loss after 2 years of owning. We had fun but I'd always be wondering what was going to break next. I wish they came with longer factory warranties as the aftermarket ones seem bad.

DrewD

FNG
We have a wolf pup 16bhs. This is our third summer and love it. We have two kids and a dog. We keep the table folded into a bed all the time for the dog and eat outside. Pulled it from Illinois to Montana last summer with no issues with a half ton. We went with the model with no slide, less to break.

LostArra

WKR
I have a close friend who rents an RV/motor home every summer for a family trip to the mountains or Pacific coast. He said it was pricey but worth it. Never had to store it or service it.

ahlgringo

WKR
A few years ago I went through same decision tree. Ended up with a used Desert Fox (arctic fox's toy hauler). Thing is a beast and heavy- but I had a 3500 already. If you don't mind fixing stuff (you are going to have to whether you buy new or used) then go for it. I think part of every dudes life should be having to own and deal with an RV, haha. Its been quite the adventure and learning curve, but man- some really good memories made with my wife and 2 little girls.

Paying new prices seems outrageous to me, if you are handy at all- you can figure stuff out. Buy well used from a reputable company that is known for quality and at least you will have good bones to build off when stuff does (and it will) go wrong.

Oh, and yeah- stay away from slide outs.