Camper shell buildout

As I was mindlessly combing the FB classifieds for used treasures this morning, I was seeing some truck toppers which got me thinking about doing a buildout for overnights and gear storage.
I figured there had to be a few guys on here that have some good ideas to maximize space. Let's see em if you got em!

schmalzy

WKR
I kept it pretty simple with a raised platform for a bed that only covers the right side of the truck bed. Allows storage underneath without impacting ability to put bigger coolers in.

72d51089dde70eb3d2bbb56dbd0a9537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpr9954

FNG
On my old '77 Ford F-100 with a camper top, my wife made a set of cloth pockets that attached to the cab side of the bed. If I remember correctly, it was made out of duck fabric, went across the full width of the bed, and she stiffened it with either a yard stick or piece of lath. It was screwed into the bed with machine screws.

It was a very convenient way to store stuff like a first aid kit and other accessories. I stupidly sold that truck in the mid-1980s and hadn't thought about it for a long time.

I guess nowadays you would use some sort of Molle attachment and just put pouches on it. Still, the old way was a lot cheaper.

Mine looks a lot like @schmalzy... lots of storage under the bed, small end table. I just ordered the Pack Rack to replace my DIY wooden build for my bed. But if you need more info would be happy to share!

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 89

jeffpg

WKR
Mine looks a lot like @schmalzy... lots of storage under the bed, small end table. I just ordered the Pack Rack to replace my DIY wooden build for my bed. But if you need more info would be happy to share!

Man, that Pack Rack looks like the way to go. I have built my own systems for many years but this looks very versatile. The only issue I can see is figuring out how to order exactly what I want. It's not entirely clear how to do so. I would want a full bed option for 2 people, but I would want it in 2 individual parts so that I still have the option of setting it up for just one person. Is that what the PACK Kit is?

Man, that Pack Rack looks like the way to go. I have built my own systems for many years but this looks very versatile. The only issue I can see is figuring out how to order exactly what I want. It's not entirely clear how to do so. I would want a full bed option for 2 people, but I would want it in 2 individual parts so that I still have the option of setting it up for just one person. Is that what the PACK Kit is?
Short Answer: Yes, you would order the Pack Rack, I ordered the Half. They have multiple size options, so just measure the camper area and I would think you would be good. To be fair they are running a little slow right now getting my order out, but I'm supposed to see shipping sometime this month.

@hubbs77 has the "full" Pack Rack ordered, once we get them in, we should be able to update accordingly.

stump06

WKR
I built a shelf that goes across the bed and sits up next to the cab. I love it for organizations and space. I had a decked system but I didn't feel like I got enough useable space for the room it took up. I am gonna order some bins to help with bed organization somewhat.
I also rigged up some lights in the bed to help get ready before or after hunts.
I'll try to take some pics later

I have an ez topper lift system in mine with a built in tent and its probably the best thing I've gotten for it. Its very useful for camping and loading/unloading the truck

Mcnasty

FNG
always a fun project getting getting a set up dialed in how you like it. Bed rug! Buddy gave me one and I will never go back. you can also just use a piece of outdoor rug for the same purpose. It adds a comfort level inside but mainly I like that it keeps the dust and dirt down that always seems to find a way in and helps with the moisture the will inevitably build up and condense on the topper if you are sealed in and or have wet gear inside. rug is also easy to pull out and roll up if I am using the truck for truck things. The pack rack look really nice option and has adjustable height but I have not seen one yet. After doing a few trucks, I prefer something less permanent and easier to move around than a wood platform . Some things to consider, Cap and sleeping height of the platform or cot , a low platform or cot will allow you to sit with more head room but reduces storage under. I have a helinox cot that is very low to the bed but has good head room it allows me to take just the end off so it fits in my short bed F150 and takes about 2 min to set up. Its spendy and very light weight. I have had it for a few years with no issues and it works great though durability is questionable if you are hard on things or heavy. Since I don't stack stuff on it I just have the pad strapped to it and turn it on its side if I need increased space inside for travel. Cots that expand with criscross legs are cheap and easy to set up but you lose the space under. Best set up i have ever been is a full 8 foot bed with a taller caper and old surplus cot with the aluminum loop legs aling one side. its perfect height for both sitting and Rubbermaid plastic storage tubs under. Coolers and tubs along the opposite side. 2 cozy guys can sit on the cot and cook and eat on the coolers and for sleeping one person on the cot an one on the floor in a pinch. Lastly I really like my DAC truck tent which allows the bed to be down and seals from the elements. 200ish on amazon. been in some pretty good rain and snow with it and it held up fine, its not perfect but it does what it is supposed to and sets up in <2 min. when I want to move it comes off super quick and goes in a tub if its wet. Adding the extra space of the tail gait is worth really nice for me. Thermacell is also a great thing for the bed camping to keep the bugs at bay.

hubbs77

FNG
Short Answer: Yes, you would order the Pack Rack, I ordered the Half. They have multiple size options, so just measure the camper area and I would think you would be good. To be fair they are running a little slow right now getting my order out, but I'm supposed to see shipping sometime this month.

@hubbs77 has the "full" Pack Rack ordered, once we get them in, we should be able to update accordingly.
Can't wait to see how this setup performs

Macintosh

WKR
I built a platform and drawer system, I would prefer to be able to put a pack rack style bed in and take it out, but I like to have some stuff in my truck, but keep it out if sight and prevent sliding around— just simple stuff like Jack, tiedowns, trailer stuff, jumper cables, chain, stuff like that that I use fairly frequently. If I were to build this again, I would do it fairly similarly, but make a few minor changes that would allow it to be removed and put back in very easily. Mine has two drawers that slide up to the wheel wells. then forward of the wheel wells there are two side-opening wing doors that open up for tools and stuff like that. I can open the wing doors from the side windows on my cap.
Biggest camper upgrades have been Velcro-in bug netting. My cap is carpet lined, so the hook-side of Velcro sticks directly to it. That allows easy bug netting adjustment, and I just stick it to the ceiling to keep it out of the way permanently. I’m working on a tent that would fit over the open rear door of the cap and hang down with bug netting, that would be waterproof but prevent bugs from getting in. Hot, humid summers make ventilation pretty key in this thing. The side windows on the cap are great for ventilation in dry weather, but if it’s raining out, they direct water down into the window, so you really want to be able to leave them closed and still maintain good venting.IMG_7060.jpeg