Camo for Goats in the open?

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
So...Archery goats near the MT/ND/SD tripoint.

I know there's no silver bullet here, but I am trying to steer a buddy away from using dark eastern timber patterns which stand out like a walking tree in the prairie.

We tend to hunt very open rangeland with grasses and some low sage, and even the occasional stubble wheat field. I have some old, light pattern stuff from cabelas that is no longer made. It's fine.

Need recommendations for my RealTree-clad buddy - here's what I have so far:

Kuiu Valo is a decent option for our area, maybe a hair dark overall... a B+ in my mind.
King's camo desert shadow is similar - it's also a bit too dark, but a lot better than some others. B+.
Sitka's Open Country is really too dark: B-.
Sitka's waterfowl pattern is much better: A-.

So, my completely unobjective grading aside, what are some others to consider?

Wireman07

WKR
I use earth tone pants and a white shirt when it's hot.
I wouldn't get too caught up in the camo debate. Use what you have or if you do buy new and it's a name brand company purchase earth tone solid colors. Personal preference I guess. I was the same way quite a few years ago, dropped thousands of dollars on all this new camo and it sat around more than I liked. Sold most of it and run mostly solid colors now. That way I can atleast wear it around town and not look like a tool bag.

Jaker_cc

WKR
95e5340935f4253a54a0bf8eee6b79d8.jpg

e7592be03077e63b96a6e1c7ad0dd5e0.jpg

373acdbadd12557c5e49913b18c8c39b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that red/black plaid (like I'm wearing here shooting Skeet station low 8) works well. The antelope in this pic were 50-100 yards in front of our Skeet range for over an hour while we were shooting.
sAsiXngl.jpg

To seriously answer the OP's question, of the 3 dozen or so antelope that I've shot, I haven't noticed any real difference between any camo or plaid patterns. And on just about all of my antelope hunts, I've had my Golden Retriever with me.
hko2Egpm.jpg
PkziX8zm.jpg

EdP

WKR
I think milsurp BDUs are perfect as sagebrush country camo and they are high quality, functional, and inexpensive. It is what I wore on 3 pronghorn hunts and it worked fine.

By the time you're relying on camo, you're busted. With antelope, the stalk should be planned so that the first time they can have line of sight on you is at full draw. Light colors/patterns are better but camo will have little to do with success on the hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Cabelas outfitter works pretty good in sage /prairie for me. I know what you are saying about your buddy in Trebark patterns, the dark stuff really stands out. he would be better off in jeans and any old shirt. ASAT is awesome and the Army OCP camo works great around sage. If you wear camo bowhunting go all the way, paint your face and cover your hands with gloves. I have shot 5 antelope with a bow and was covered head to foot in camo for all of them, I have no idea if it made any difference but from some of the pictures in this thread it appears that it may not be required.

Like others have said I have shot them in earth tone plaid but lately have been using Sitka core light weight hoody in open country but that has not been for the camo as much as I like how the shirt functions in sun and heat.

OP
roosterdown

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Completely get that camo is secondary. However my guy is, in that light yellow landscape, effectively going goth in all black.

I actually really like the idea of just wearing khaki solids.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the camo debate. Use what you have or if you do buy new and it's a name brand company purchase earth tone solid colors. Personal preference I guess. I was the same way quite a few years ago, dropped thousands of dollars on all this new camo and it sat around more than I liked. Sold most of it and run mostly solid colors now. That way I can atleast wear it around town and not look like a tool bag.
But how will everyone know you're a huge hunter?

WCB

WKR
if he has any older faded realtree...turn the shirt inside out. Also, basic tanish colored light weight Columbia hiking pants or similar work awesome. I can tell you dark camo makes you look like a blob....does it matter if you are behind cover or up moving probably not...BUT I definitely have had less goats just lock onto me and it is harder for the people I'm hunting with to spot me since I just started using old faded carp tuned inside out.

One buddy has DCUs and they work really well in that area.

I would never buy high end clothing gear specifically for archery antelope...even more so for the camo pattern.