Camelbak Refilling Via Hiker Pro

I have the H.A.W.G. (Holds A lot of Water and Gear) pack which is a military Camelbak and my last daypack (to be replaced with a DT3). Anyhoo, the OMEGA Water Beast, 100-ounce (3 Liter) bladder has an on/off valve and detachable bite valve. The cool part about a valve is you can keep air out in warmer months (for stealth) or blow air in it after a drink for keeping it from freezing in the colder months. The heat from your back keeps the bladder from freezing, at least when it is not 100 below.

The reason for the thread is to let ya'll know that if you put a Camelbak Quick Link or Platypus Quick-Disconnect male on your water filter's hose you can easily fill the bladder while keeping it in your pack. I am new to this system but I like the idea of being able to fill the bladder completely by not taking the cap off. I was going to get a Dromlite but I like my Camelbak bladder and tube so I am pretty excited about this.

Ozz08

WKR
Yeah it's nice to not have to remove your bladder from your pack to fill it. Ive been using the camelback quick link system With my msr sweetwater for about a year now. Works great. However I'm going to be using the sawyer squeeze filter this year so it looks like I'll be going back to removing my bladder.

bbrown

WKR
I did the same thing with a 3" piece of a white bic pen. Just keep it stuck into the hiker pro tube and when I am ready to fill up the bladder I just remove the mouth fitting and slide the bic in.

Gman

WKR
Yeah it's nice to not have to remove your bladder from your pack to fill it. Ive been using the camelback quick link system With my msr sweetwater for about a year now. Works great. However I'm going to be using the sawyer squeeze filter this year so it looks like I'll be going back to removing my bladder.

Used the Sawyer squeeze first time this weekend. It's a winner. You're going to love it. My recommendation is use the big bag or preferably a Platypus canteen or bladder (the kind with the screw top vs the zip top). I had the 32 oz and while it was still quick the others I was with had the bigger bags and filled up with zero effort. With the big bag you can squeeze with gentle knee pressure and it fills large bladders and carriers with ease. Hands down the best filter for size out there...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
That is the one thing I miss about the Hiker Pro I used for years over the Sawyer inline. The filling bladders with the Hiker Pro meant never having to pull the bladder out of the pack when you filter. Dunking the bladder in the creek to fill the bladder using the Sawyer inline is required, but that isn't a big enough reason to make me swap back to the Hiker Pro ;)