California Black Bear Conservation Plan

N9Line

FNG
Here's the Management plan draft that was just released for California.

The population of black bear when the last management plan was released in 1998 was around 15,000 bears. Now the estimation is between 50,000-81,000. That's a heck of an increase.

I'm not sure how many of you hunt bear in CA, but if you hunt deer, you see how many bear there are. There are talks of multiple seasons and dogs being brought back. What do you all think?

There isn't much chance of expanding hunting opportunity in California but if anything has a chance, it would be spring bear. I think they could easily incorporate a spring season into the existing quota framework. My hope would be that with these new numbers, the quota would increase (although the quota hasn't been reached since hounds were banned, if I recall).

If there ever is a spring bear season in CA, it should be on the radar of anybody looking for a bear hunt, non-residents included. It would be an fantastic hunt.

Hoghead

WKR
There is no spring season for deer. Houndsmen like hunting areas with roads. If dogs bother you all, it would take is to get away from the roads.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

limpet

FNG
I doubt dogs would come back as it’s out of fish and games hands. It was a law passed by state house and senate not a regulation. A bill would have to make it all the way back through senate and house then be signed by Newsom and something tells me there’s a fat chance of that happening. If I remember fish and game advised not to close dog hunting.

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
I doubt dogs would come back as it’s out of fish and games hands. It was a law passed by state house and senate not a regulation. A bill would have to make it all the way back through senate and house then be signed by Newsom and something tells me there’s a fat chance of that happening. If I remember fish and game advised not to close dog hunting.
From my understanding, it is a regulation in FGC (Title 14, sub 265) and not a law. They wanted it to be a law but it got nowhere.
Right now, our commission is pro-hunting and they're seeing all of these anti-hunting extremists and what they're fighting for is not good for the populations of animals.

180ls1

WKR
0% chance dogs come back. Did you see the most recent legislation about "overworking" dogs they tried to pass?

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
Oh, I found more on it! It is a bill, but they can authorize a tag.. This is straight from the bill text.

"The bill would authorize the Fish and Game Commission to establish a hound tag program, imposing prescribed requirements on the licensure and use of hounds, as defined, to pursue mammals."

0% chance dogs come back. Did you see the most recent legislation about "overworking" dogs they tried to pass?
That's a poor, quitter mindset. Same mindset as "No point in me voting."

180ls1

WKR
I stand corrected. I thought that the one in 2020 was an attempt to make it a bill. We just need to band together and show facts and not work on emotions for us to overturn it.

Ignoring emotions and how powerful they are would be a mistake. Virtually every bill passed against us is passed on emotions. Not facts.

180ls1

WKR
Oh, I found more on it! It is a bill, but they can authorize a tag.. This is straight from the bill text.

"The bill would authorize the Fish and Game Commission to establish a hound tag program, imposing prescribed requirements on the licensure and use of hounds, as defined, to pursue mammals."

LOL, no. You have no idea who I am and how involved I am in conservation. My disagreement is more from a pragmatic standpoint.

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
LOL, no. You have no idea who I am and how involved I am in conservation. My disagreement is more from a pragmatic standpoint.
It doesn't really matter who you are. By spreading negativity and saying it'll never happen, fosters more people of the same mindset. I don't even want dogs to happen, but I think it's necessary for proper management of the species. Saying something is never going to happen is quitting before you've even started.

limpet

FNG

Yeah from what I’ve seen and heard from wardens and biologists is that’s more for emergency depredation of specific bears. It’s issued 1 permit at a time and you have to pry it out of there clamped hands.

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
Yeah from what I’ve seen and heard from wardens and biologists is that’s more for emergency depredation of specific bears. It’s issued 1 permit at a time and you have to pry it out of there clamped hands.
That's a bummer. The verbiage that it has may be beneficial if CDFW recommends a dog season for conservation when they bring it up to the commission.

That being said, the spring season and an additional tag is looking promising though. .

180ls1

WKR
It doesn't really matter who you are. By spreading negativity and saying it'll never happen, fosters more people of the same mindset. I don't even want dogs to happen, but I think it's necessary for proper management of the species. Saying something is never going to happen is quitting before you've even started.

I hear what you are saying. However, I still think you are wrong and our resources are better channeled elsewhere. Like the spring season or other methods.

By the way, if you are an advocate of "not working on emotions" it would be best if you don't accuse me of having a "poor. quitter mindset" or saying I am "spreading negativity." That would be quite hypocritical. I have a difference of opinion, that is all.

Here's the Management plan draft that was just released for California.

The population of black bear when the last management plan was released in 1998 was around 15,000 bears. Now the estimation is between 50,000-81,000. That's a heck of an increase.

I'm not sure how many of you hunt bear in CA, but if you hunt deer, you see how many bear there are. There are talks of multiple seasons and dogs being brought back. What do you all think?
As a NorCal native, I think the most predictable next step for CDFG will be...to reintroduce grizzlies.

I can only imagine the town hall meetings: "Well, hey, it's on the flag, so...."

1714059590249.png

limpet

FNG
That's a bummer. The verbiage that it has may be beneficial if CDFW recommends a dog season for conservation when they bring it up to the commission.

That being said, the spring season and an additional tag is looking promising though. .
For sure. I think we need to take a play from anti hunters and take small bites back in the direction we want. It’s a lot easier to ask someone for a dollar than $1,000. I also think at this point sticking to what the fish and game council can do themselves is the way to go. If we bring too much attention to the state senate and congress we may see negative results as most probably aren’t hunting friendly. A second tag and spring season would be huge. Though we’d probably hit quota by the end of bow season if the quotas were structured on an annual basis.