California Backcountry

Snow isn't quite what we expect in the Sierra Nevada's on the opener of rifle season, but i wasn't complaining. For the Cali guys, this is D3-5.

file_zps473f73ff.jpg

This guy was the biggest of 4 exiting the basin. At 285, i sent one.

file_zpsbf74682f.jpg

A solid buck for the areas i hunt and one i'm very happy with....especially after eating tag soup with a limited archery tag.

file_zps67fa34a0.jpg

After an hour he was in my pack. This was a solo backcountry hunt and with meat, antlers, and my full camp, i knew the 5.2 miles out would suck, and it did.

file_zps142e894d.jpg

Best of luck to all those still at it!

SouthPaw

WKR
Awesome buck! I had a tough time in that same zone during Archery, hoping for better luck during rifle in the coming weeks.

Congrats.

SDHNTR

WKR
Nice one buddy! You always seem to pull the biggest critter out of any unit! What limited bow tag did you have?

c5mrr270

WKR
Awesome buck. Especially for d3-5. Hopefully I can put the hurt on one this year in the same unit.

OP
Arrowslinger
Nice. Is that an Icon Pro? How did it handle the weight?

It's the ultra and it handled the weight like an 80 year old whore, sloppy. It's awesome with gear and camp, but with the deer added it was rough.....but i don't expect any pack to be incredible packing that much weight.

chiefhoyt

FNG
Awesome Buck and great pictures as always!! Were the bucks moving out of the high country down lower? I was up high Saturday and only saw a few deer.