Calgary/Edmonton Denver flight travel question

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I know these travel questions have been discussed many times and I thought I had a good route figured out and it seemed a no brainer to fly into Edmonton when touching down in Canada for a sheep hunt. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible for me to find a flight which touches down on Canadian soil in Edmonton without going through another Canadian airport. It appears that Calgary may be the next best port of entry and then fly on to Edmonton. Is this a good Port of entry (I already know to stay away from Toronto and Montreal) and how much of a layover do I need before the flight to Edmonton to clear customs with firearms? Returns to the US seem to go through Denver or Chicago and how much time do I need in these airports when returning from Canada before my connecting flight, or is it just like any other TSA check point. I ask because a good flight returning home has a 54 minute layover in Denver which doesn’t seem like enough time to collect bags and go through US Customs.

I know these travel questions have been discussed many times and I thought I had a good route figured out and it seemed a no brainer to fly into Edmonton when touching down in Canada for a sheep hunt. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible for me to find a flight which touches down on Canadian soil in Edmonton without going through another Canadian airport. It appears that Calgary may be the next best port of entry and then fly on to Edmonton. Is this a good Port of entry (I already know to stay away from Toronto and Montreal) and how much of a layover do I need before the flight to Edmonton to clear customs with firearms? Returns to the US seem to go through Denver or Chicago and how much time do I need in these airports when returning from Canada before my connecting flight, or is it just like any other TSA check point. I ask because a good flight returning home has a 54 minute layover in Denver which doesn’t seem like enough time to collect bags and go through US Customs.

You clear customs in Canada coming home so an hour will be tight but should be plenty.

As far as point of entry just got back from a trip to Toronto and it was ok. No issues. Wasn’t traveling with a gun, so I am not sure if that would make a difference. In the end traveling sucks, so I generally pick the least amount of time at airports when deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzy

WKR
I’d give myself at least 2 hrs. Been stuck in customs line before in Vancouver and it’s taken some time.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
First of all do I understand how this works, I‘ve never traveled internationally with guns before. My possible flight will be originating in Allentown PA With layovers in Denver, Calgary and final destination of Edmonton. On my back it will just be reversed. On the way out, I know I go through TSA in Allentown and figure my bags/gun should be checked through to Calgary where I would need to retrieve my bags and go through Canadian customs. After hopefully being checked through, fly on to Edmonton to stay overnight. On the way back I would check in at Edmonton with what I assume is the Canadian version of TSA and fly through Calgary and into Denver. Here I would retrieve my bags and go through US Customs and probably TSA to check my bags through Allentown, PA. Do I have this correct or do I have it all screwed up. I was originally going to drive when I booked this hunt years ago but with the price of diesel and time involved I have reconsidered

OMB

WKR

Basically since Canada re-opened from Covid restrictions, Edmonton has been eliminated as a port of entry from the US. Flying with guns, I'd recommend going through Calgary. In July, I was the only one on my flight from the US coming in with a rifle, and it took me roughly an hour to process through. I got into Calgary in the evening and just overnighted there.

When returning, you will clear US customs in Edmonton. I was the only one going through at the time in the morning with a rifle/horns/meat, and it took me about 45 minutes to get through. You should be able to find flights directly into the US from Edmonton, I came back through LAX as my connection but there were others available through Seattle, Denver, Chicago, etc. Because you've already cleared customs in Edmonton, your connection will be like a normal domestic connection.

I would not want to put myself in a situation where I needed less than 2 hours to make a flight on the way up there, especially that Calgary to Edmonton leg or Edmonton to where ever else. Everywhere seemed pretty short staffed and nobody behind the counter showed any sense of urgency whatsoever (which, sort of normal for Canada.)

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Basically since Canada re-opened from Covid restrictions, Edmonton has been eliminated as a port of entry from the US. Flying with guns, I'd recommend going through Calgary. In July, I was the only one on my flight from the US coming in with a rifle, and it took me roughly an hour to process through. I got into Calgary in the evening and just overnighted there.

When returning, you will clear US customs in Edmonton. I was the only one going through at the time in the morning with a rifle/horns/meat, and it took me about 45 minutes to get through. You should be able to find flights directly into the US from Edmonton, I came back through LAX as my connection but there were others available through Seattle, Denver, Chicago, etc. Because you've already cleared customs in Edmonton, your connection will be like a normal domestic connection.

I would not want to put myself in a situation where I needed less than 2 hours to make a flight on the way up there, especially that Calgary to Edmonton leg or Edmonton to where ever else. Everywhere seemed pretty short staffed and nobody behind the counter showed any sense of urgency whatsoever (which, sort of normal for Canada.)
Thanks for that explanation, that certainly helps a lot. I had no idea I would be able to clear US customs in Edmonton and could be checked straight through to my final destination. That saves a lot of ”mental” hassle

OMB

WKR
For the American customs form, you'll need to go to a Customs and Border patrol office to have them verify the serial numbers on your weapon and optic, and they notarize the form.

For Canada, print and fill out the form ahead of time, but make sure to print on legal size paper or else it will cut off part of the form. Also, DO NOT SIGN it ahead of time, you need to do that in front of the customs officer in Canada. After that, you pay the $25 CDN at the office.

I'd really recommend having a folder with your gun forms, travel itinerary, etc and keeping it handy. They will appreciate you having your stuff together.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
For the American customs form, you'll need to go to a Customs and Border patrol office to have them verify the serial numbers on your weapon and optic, and they notarize the form.

For Canada, print and fill out the form ahead of time, but make sure to print on legal size paper or else it will cut off part of the form. Also, DO NOT SIGN it ahead of time, you need to do that in front of the customs officer in Canada. After that, you pay the $25 CDN at the office.

I'd really recommend having a folder with your gun forms, travel itinerary, etc and keeping it handy. They will appreciate you having your stuff together.
Thanks, I will have everything in a folder in my carry on. I do like to be organized and ready for any issue.
As far as the American customs form, would that be the Customs and Border Patrol Office at the Edmonton Airport on my return trip that would need to notarize that form to bring the rifle back into the US?

OMB

WKR
Thanks, I will have everything in a folder in my carry on. I do like to be organized and ready for any issue.
As far as the American customs form, would that be the Customs and Border Patrol Office at the Edmonton Airport on my return trip that would need to notarize that form to bring the rifle back into the US?

No, you need to do it before you leave the US, it's essentially proof that you had possession of the rifle/scope before the trip and that you're bringing back the same serialized items. Technically, if you have nice binos/spotter/other luxury goods, you could 4457 those too, but they really only care to make sure you're bringing back the same rifle.

Looks like Allentown has a CBP office so you could in theory do it before your flight, but I don't have a ton of faith in CBP lately. I know several people who have scheduled Global Entry screening appointments recently that have showed up for it only to a find a sign saying all appointments for the day are canceled. Definitely not something I'd leave to chance the day of flying out for a hunt, but YMMV.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
No, you need to do it before you leave the US, it's essentially proof that you had possession of the rifle/scope before the trip and that you're bringing back the same serialized items. Technically, if you have nice binos/spotter/other luxury goods, you could 4457 those too, but they really only care to make sure you're bringing back the same rifle.

Looks like Allentown has a CBP office so you could in theory do it before your flight, but I don't have a ton of faith in CBP lately. I know several people who have scheduled Global Entry screening appointments recently that have showed up for it only to a find a sign saying all appointments for the day are canceled. Definitely not something I'd leave to chance the day of flying out for a hunt, but YMMV.
Thanks again, I didn’t realize that was something that needed to be taken care of before the flight and I didn’t know there was a CBP office near me. I’ll have to look into that and get that taken care of after I decide on which rifle I’ll be taking

Devin96

FNG
My recommendation would be to drive to Toronto, cross at Buffalo then fly directly from Toronto to Edmonton. It is much easier to cross the boarder via car then it is to fly across.

If you look at the overall time and chance of missing a connection it is probably shorter.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
My recommendation would be to drive to Toronto, cross at Buffalo then fly directly from Toronto to Edmonton. It is much easier to cross the boarder via car then it is to fly across.

If you look at the overall time and chance of missing a connection it is probably shorter.
Well, there is always the possibility of driving the entire way to Fort Simpson. That was my original intention when I booked the trip and I was going to cross into Canada in North Dakota which should have been a breeze. It would have been a nice way to see the country and I figured would have taken about 4 days each way. And could have brought meat, capes and anything else back with me on the return

bradb

WKR
Last fall for stone sheep I flew Madison-Denver-Edmonton-fort st johns-fort nelson
Customs in Edmonton the people were as nice and friendly as you could ever ask for, super easy and smooth. I stayed the night in the motel connected to the airport. All other flights easy and expected.
Coming back Ft Nelson-ft st johns-edmonton- Ottawa- chicago-madison
Flights where different as I got my sheep early and I got what I could. There is NO security at all in ft Nelson, so you when you get to ft st johns you get your bags and go through security there. Simple. Flights where all simple and as expected. I did NOT do 4457 and was never asked for it going through customs in Ottaw. I never touched my gun or main bad in Ottawa, but I was flagged for random through search. Which really amounted to a good check of carry on and a pat down. Again the people where vey nice and it was simple and fast

tuffcity

WKR
Here's a potential time saving tip. If you check your firearms case before going through security at the airport, go and thoroughly wash your hands. If you get "randomly" selected for secondary screening there is usually a swab done for trace explosives, typically the hands and any laptop, etc and chances are there will be some contamination from the gun case- at least on the hands.

A few years ago my wife and I were flying domestically after a hunting trip. She was hunting with a muzzle loader and had taken a goat on that trip. I checked our gun case in oversize and proceeded through security. I'm a secondary screening magnet and of course get the swab. The machine beeps and the security guy (same one who just checked in my firearms) looks at me and says I tested positive for gun powder residue, can I explain why... :rolleyes: