Cabo Fishing

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got a recommendation for a charter out of Cabo? Headed down there on a bachelor party and as the only outdoorsman I’ve been assigned booking the fishing charter. If it were up to me we’d go small and cast for Roosters, but I think these guys are looking to get after the big fish. Any recommendations appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiker270

WKR
Check out Fishingbooker.com Cabo they have over 100 fishing charters with reviews.

I went with Sushi Time a number of years ago. It was a good outfit- price was reasonable, the captain was knowledgeable, and we caught fish. We wanted to go farther out for striped marlin, but conditions were too rough that day so we stayed closer to shore and caught yellow fin and spanish mackerel. It was a fun time and I would fish with them again.

Pisces Sports fishing is hands down the best charter out of Cabo imo. Lots of boats to choose from. Maybe a little pricier than others but they are top notch.

Abigail Sportfishing was real good to us out of San Lucas. Would definitely go with them again, especially for the prices they charge.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
Fly fishing or gear and how many people? We fly fished roosters and marlin down there, but I don’t know if those guys can do big groups.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Best time of year is September-December for Marlin and Tuna. You might get lucky but Spring-Summer is the slow season down there.

My wife and I go out with Pisces and they are top notch, always came back in worn out and with a full boat of meat fish to take home.

Depending on how fancy you want to go they can boats that are very affordable to high end tournament winners.

Oregon

WKR
Anyone got a recommendation for a charter out of Cabo? Headed down there on a bachelor party and as the only outdoorsman I’ve been assigned booking the fishing charter. If it were up to me we’d go small and cast for Roosters, but I think these guys are looking to get after the big fish. Any recommendations appreciated!

Jessica Sportfishing. Captain Jaime.
He's got a mid range sport boat 26'. Not a panga. He's around $450 a 1/2 day for the boat.
Just google Jessica sportfishing Cabo and all kinds of reviews will pop up.
I've fished with him probably 20 times.
I take people fishing for a living and I know when effort is being put in or just going for a boat ride. The guy is a fishing machine. 100% from start to finish.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I booked with Sushi Time for a 6 hour trip on a 28’. Looked perfect, no frills…super close to our hotel also. I talked to Juan Carlos and they sound legit. Price was right. Might book a second boat last minute on our last day down there as well. I’ll look into some of these others for that day. Thanks for all the recommendations…I’ll debrief here if anyone is interested.

OP
Phil4

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Fly fishing or gear and how many people? We fly fished roosters and marlin down there, but I don’t know if those guys can do big groups.

This guy said we’ll cast for Roosters first thing then go troll.

MattB

WKR
Best time of year is September-December for Marlin and Tuna. You might get lucky but Spring-Summer is the slow season down there.

My wife and I go out with Pisces and they are top notch, always came back in worn out and with a full boat of meat fish to take home.

Depending on how fancy you want to go they can boats that are very affordable to high end tournament winners.
How do you get the fish home? Frozen in fish boxes in the plane? I have done this from AK but never thought about bringing fish home from Cabo. We go there 2X/year so that would add an element to the trip. Thx

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
How do you get the fish home? Frozen in fish boxes in the plane? I have done this from AK but never thought about bringing fish home from Cabo. We go there 2X/year so that would add an element to the trip. Thx

There's two options, they will fillet and bag in ziploc for free and you are responsible for pick up from the office prior to your flight.

We pay a bit extra i think around $1 US per pound and have them vacuum seal and deliver to the resort we stay at about an hour prior to leaving for the flight.

We bring a soft side yeti stay packed in our luggage and fill it up for the flight as a checked bag. Last trip it held about 50lbs of fillets. We have always flown Southwest down there and never have to pay extra for the cooler. Ive also seen a few hard coolers that are tapped shut, but imagine those where purchased in Cabo at a premium.

Oregon

WKR
Google Griceldas smokehouse. They are the hook up for fish coming home.

I have fished Cabo with Pisces 7 different times. They are the best, hands down. Easy to book with English sales staff and they put the deposit on your credit card. Take a look at their Instagram page and see how many billfish they land. We just fished them over the Christmas break- it was a slow start, but ended up with 3 marlin and 8 yellowfin tuna.

@MattB , Had the tuna fileted and bagged at the marina, had my taxi stop off at Walmart for a cooler, took the cooler to the Hyatt Ziva concierge and they froze it for me in the kitchen until it was time to leave. Checked the cooler at the airport and picked it up DFW all in tact. I do this every time (except I usually bring my own soft cooler to Cabo).

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay $1.75/lb at a place like Gricelda's. I pay the guys at the marina $2 per fish and they are more than happy. They fillet it and Ziploc it. I then gave my concierge $5 when I gave her the fish to freeze and an additional $5 when I was checking out. Total tip for almost 50 pounds of fish was $26. When I get home, my Dad and I really "clean" the fish (remove all blood lines and any remaining bones or scales) and vacuum seal them before freezing.

Last edited:

Coho

FNG
Curious how the June baja charter went. I know this is old. I have been there in Nov, Dec, Jan,Feb, March. Will be there and east cape in June this time, for a friend's party. Wondering what to target?