Cabela's card options

Pgohil

WKR
What can I do with my cabelas card? I am frustrated with the selling of the company and the resulting business model we have to work with as well as the selling of the financial side to capital one. I know that most are in the same boat.

I have spent many years building up my credit to the level it is now, as well as a large spending limit. I hate to lose that. Closing an account really is a negative on your credit score and I am looking for an alternative approach.

Is there any way to turn this card into a regular card that does not give points as Cabela's points but rather as cash back or miles, etc. ?

Thanks all.

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Cancel it. The only way it would hurt your credit in any measurable or meaningful way would be if it account for a p
Large percent of you total in regards to revolving Utilization.
Cancall it and replace with another rewards card best suits your spending habits. Almost anyone of the popular rewards cards are better then a cabelas card.

spaniel

FNG
You could simply put the card away and not use it, thereby not affecting your credit score. Then when you get another with the limit you want you can cancel it.

I've had a Cabelas card for more than 15 years. In that time the company has declined to nothing I consider special, never has things I want, and I'm frustrated by the same changes as you. I basically buy there only to burn my points on reloading gear.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Cancel it. The only way it would hurt your credit in any measurable or meaningful way would be if it account for a p
Cancall it and replace with another rewards card best suits your spending habits. Almost anyone of the popular rewards cards are better then a cabelas card.
That is an issue that I have, it does account for the largest part of my total credit. I only have two cards college killed me, I had a ton of cards and everything maxed out it was a deep hole for myself and my wife to dig out of. We actually went several years with no credit cards.. the Cabela's card was my first card after that mess and it has always been my go-to.

I have been intending to call Capital One and see if I can roll it over into a different Capital One rewards card without losing my credit limit. Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
That is an issue that I have, it does account for the largest part of my total credit. I only have two cards college killed me, I had a ton of cards and everything maxed out it was a deep hole for myself and my wife to dig out of. We actually went several years with no credit cards.. the Cabela's card was my first card after that mess and it has always been my go-to.

The apply and validate your new cards before canceling the cabelas card. You total credit amount will increase and your percent of utilization will decrease.

Call capital one. I am a chase guy and chase let’s you swap between their cards pretty freely. If they work the same as chase, you need to use your Cabela’s points first. You usually end up with the same limit in the flavor of card yo want.

Be careful that it’s not also you longest running credit line.

I would suggest putting it away/ in the safe and only using it for a very small revolving credit use, perhaps a Netflix subscription or buy a coffee with it once every 6 months over canceling it.

I would call chase and get a card from them. Maybe a freedom unlimited or a freedom. Chase has fantastic buyer protection in my experience. They have refunded me for an item that usps delivered to the wrong address and signed for. The signature meant usps, PayPal, and eBay all told me to eat crow but chase had my back.

Backyard

WKR
This is what I did after 15+ yrs with Cabelas they started effing my account up immediatly after the change over. That, and the fact that there isn't much worth purchasing from them that I would be wanting anymore.
I'm very happy with my Chase Freedom Unlimited card. 1.5% back on everything that I'm free to spend anywhere works for me.

NDGuy

WKR
For a new card I would suggest the Citi Double Cash Card 2% unlimited cashback on everything.

The other one would be the Ducks Unlimited Card. 5% cash back on gas + sporting goods stores.

Yeah I am in the same boat as well; I am just going to payoff the balance and cancel even though i have had my Cabelas Card for years. I just recently used my reward points to buy some broadheads I need. Bass Pro has turned Cabelas into a joke; Redhead crap throughout the store. I predicted in another thread Cabelas stores will start closing in a few years; Cant believe that would be Bass Pro's business model but they are destroying Cabelas outright. I along with a lot of other sportsman are done shopping there and my card will be closed in a couple of weeks - sad.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've just canceled my Cabelas card and am now using the Citi Double Cash Card, they'll cut cut you a check for your rewards when you want it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Just got approved for the Chase freedom unlimited card and was approved for a limit equal to my Cabela's card. Very happy with the decision.

I'll keep the card tucked away for emergency use. Till then if anyone figures out a way for Capitol one to change it to a different rewards, please let me know!
Thanks all!!!

PGohil
WV

ChrisA

WKR
I'm also done with the capital one Cabela's card as soon as I have time to visit a store and burn up a large amount of points. The statement emails and multiple mailed statements are confusing. Plus, Bass Pro has pissed me off prior to their Cabela's take over with overpriced sub-quality Red Head stuff and now that's pushed at Cabela's.

Other than ammo, firearms, quality fishing gear and electronics, they don't have anything I'm interested in. The prior mentioned items are over priced and I haven't seen any good sales either.

I just hope I can get to a store before they go tits up.

Chris

VernAK

WKR
This is what I did after 15+ yrs with Cabelas they started effing my account up immediatly after the change over. That, and the fact that there isn't much worth purchasing from them that I would be wanting anymore.
I'm very happy with my Chase Freedom Unlimited card. 1.5% back on everything that I'm free to spend anywhere works for me.

Same here! Capital One sent me the new Cabelas card and I just put it in my safe without activating it. Shortly, I was getting a statement with hundreds of $$$$ charges in AL= alabama. Then the evening phone calls with very poor etiquette started demanding payment. I must have explained to a half dozen different calls that I have not activated that card and I do not live in Alabama nor have I ever been there. Some were astounded to learn that AL is not Alaska.

After a couple months they have deducted all the phony charges but this month they sent me a statement charging interest on the phony charges......WTF?

To top it all off, they sent me a new card as I've obviously lost my old one.

AVOID CAPITAL ONE!

I use Costco Citibank with great cash back and great customer service.