CA Tule Elk

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
growing up just outside the bay area my dad would tell me story's about these mythical creatures called Tule Elk? we would pass their, Habitat in the grasslands of the central valley on our way duck or pheasant hunting. We would be lucky to see a couple. Now with the the help of a lot of people (mostly hunters) they have rebounded in my own backyard to where every time I drive the Pacheco pass I can see a few heards of 30-40 head of elk. and about that much more at the bottom of the pass. Its a game my kids and I play to see who can spot them first. No longer such a mythical creature but Tags are hard to come buy. with a min. of max points to draw. I was young when CA switched to a PP system between 16-17 at first the Ol'man wasn't all in with the Point system so he didn't put us in that first year. he learned he made a mistake and put us in every year since. without max points we mathematically had no chance to draw tags. but this year would be different. after the draw results came out Dad found out he drew as a alternate. and just last week he got the call he was in! Now this tag might only be good for A spike but this is one of those hunts where its not about the antlers. we get to be out there and hunt some of gods spectacular creations! sorry for the rant but i'm pumped for the ol'man. and will take lots of pics for the fellow roksliders good luck its almost time!

Last edited:
It'll be an awesome adventure few will ever get to experience congratulations to your dad

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's awesome, congratulations! Grizzly island? I'm waiting to hear back for the share hunt results,that's my last chance this yr. My odds are very slim so I try and put in for as many raffle or share hunts they offer. I've also been putting in for that grizzly island spike because that just seems like your best odds to draw. I've only got 4 points so I'll be waiting a long time for a bull, I'd rather have the opportunity and meat then wait 25yrs+

That's awesome, congratulations! Grizzly island? I'm waiting to hear back for the share hunt results,that's my last chance this yr. My odds are very slim so I try and put in for as many raffle or share hunts they offer. I've also been putting in for that grizzly island spike because that just seems like your best odds to draw. I've only got 4 points so I'll be waiting a long time for a bull, I'd rather have the opportunity and meat then wait 25yrs+
Thank you and Yes sir grizzly island. Keep on playing the game. I know one thing you have to play the game to win it!

I also grew up hearing stories about Tule Elk. At the time the only elk I ever saw was a small fenced in herd on Ft Hunter Leggitt. I joined the military and moved away a little over 19 years ago, but that's awesome to hear about elk being near Pacheco Pass. Some of my first hunting experiences involved hiking for miles up and down those hills looking for quail and deer.

Congrats to your pop's on a great tag. You two are in for a hunt to remember for a lifetime, as well as some fine eating. I was blessed last year with 1 of 2 tags, (max points) for a Tule bull. Took a 8x9, that I'd scouted and watched for weeks. A hunt that I and a couple of my buddies will never forget. As a past chairman for the RMEF, it's nice to see some of our hard work of restoring elk paying off. Take lots of pictures, and enjoy yourselves, and get the meat cooled down asap.
Mike

Congrats to your father Ozzymodel70. I have maximum points for elk in Ca and i also was a runner up in 2014 for Tule elk. Unfortunately, the hunt for me never materialized. Maybe next year will be my year.

Congrats to your pop's on a great tag. You two are in for a hunt to remember for a lifetime, as well as some fine eating. I was blessed last year with 1 of 2 tags, (max points) for a Tule bull. Took a 8x9, that I'd scouted and watched for weeks. A hunt that I and a couple of my buddies will never forget. As a past chairman for the RMEF, it's nice to see some of our hard work of restoring elk paying off. Take lots of pictures, and enjoy yourselves, and get the meat cooled down asap.
Mike

Fantastic Tule mod700. Congrats on your draw and especially your elk. Any pictures [silly question] at least any your willing to post?

Back