Ca Buck to Bear Ratio 2019

Dilldirt

FNG
Hunted 8 days this year and saw 6 bears to one legal buck between archery and rifle seasons all B zone wilderness.

Hunting b zone archery and general probably ten days combine , saw a dozen legal bucks , 3 shooters out of those ten and probly 25-30 bears and one night I know I saw a dozen different bears in one sitting , out of control
Would you happen to have any generic advice for someone driving 10 hrs to the b-zone? I don't know if backpacking deep into the trinities or the surrounding areas would be better?

What did you california guys see this season as far as bear numbers while you were out chasing bucks?
How many legal bucks did you see?
How many days did you hunt?
How many bucks/bears did you kill?

For me, I saw 9 legal bucks in A zone between 6 archery hunts and an opening day hunt in general season. No bears sighted. (Killed buck on opening day rifle).
During B zone, I saw 6 legal bucks in 17 days of hunting between archery and general seasons.
On ten of those days myself and my accomplice saw 30 bears (some may have been the same bears seen on different days in the 2 locations we glassed).
I killed my buck during archery and crippled a bear with bow. With rifle I killed a bear (that I recovered a week later, so no meat) and missed one. Also on these hunts, my buddy missed a bear and my ol lady crippled a (4pt) buck and killed a bear.
So in 24 days afield I personally saw 15 legal bucks and 23 bears.
I killed my 2 bucks and at least one bear and missed another bear.
While my buddy saw 7 bears and missed a shot at one the weekend that we split up to glass. And (under my guidance) my ol lady shot the 4pt that we didn't find and bear that we did... All in all it wasn't the best year we've had as far as the animals shot to tags filled ratio goes but we still put two deer and a bear in the freezer for the family.
That's the most bears I've ever seen in a season as well as in an area. Only saw one sow with cubs in all those bears but she had 3 of em.
View attachment 136540
That's incredible to see that many bears! Would you have any advice for someone who hasn't been to the B zone before to get into glassing bears? It's about a 10hr drive and my bear hunting experience is in Montana.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's incredible to see that many bears! Would you have any advice for someone who hasn't been to the B zone before to get into glassing bears? It's about a 10hr drive and my bear hunting experience is in Montana.
this was a 4.5 yr old thread, and OP your asking question to is no longer active